Polynesian DVC Tower (2024) | Inside Universal Forums

Polynesian DVC Tower (2024)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Nov 23, 2013
Seattle, WA!

Opening in late 2024, an all new Polynesian Expansion for DVC guests will be opening at Polynesian. The new villa expansion, will be inspired by the now defunct Spirits of Aloha show, that has been officially closed down.

Reactions: Nico
The design looks way too modern. It looks more like what you would find today in Ko Olina (a planned vacation community on Oahu) or Waikiki out of a modern luxury resort. All they had to do was build a smaller version of Aulani and it would've been more than fine.

What i'm having trouble understanding though is where is this going? I'm assuming quite a few of the old buildings from the 70's will be demolished, yes?

Big ole wet fart
Worse than Reflections since this thing will stick out like a sore thumb. Fire all the imagineers that "designed" this. This is the opposite of themed design. This is the Polynesian becoming something like Gran Destino or Swan Reserve.

will be inspired by the now defunct Spirits of Aloha show
That’s probably the lamest marketing-speak I’ve ever heard.

What i'm having trouble understanding though is where is this going? I'm assuming quite a few of the old buildings from the 70's will be demolished, yes?
There’s a lot of land to build a long, skinny hotel if you scrape the luau.

I’m not particularly bothered by the design, but then again I think the Incredibles rooms are vomit-inducing and people seem to like those so what do I know.

It really looks like they just took part of the design for Reflections and moved it there. The design is very similar. I heard this will be prefab concrete (like Surfside/Dockside) so it will go up quickly.

Thinking about it, the Luau was problematic for so many reasons. I knew someone whose daughter worked there as a dancer and it sounded kind of horrible for the performers and it was also hard to staff. They're trying to get away from the stereotype Polynesian (and skimpy costumes).

Reactions: Nick
It really looks like they just took part of the design for Reflections and moved it there. The design is very similar. I heard this will be prefab concrete (like Surfside/Dockside) so it will go up quickly.

Thinking about it, the Luau was problematic for so many reasons. I knew someone whose daughter worked there as a dancer and it sounded kind of horrible for the performers and it was also hard to staff. They're trying to get away from the stereotype Polynesian (and skimpy costumes).
It definitely looks very similar to Reflections, although I thought that did seem like it attempted to be a rustic cabin resort and slightly fit in the theme. I don't see any attempt to stay within the theme of the Polynesian in this concept art.

As to your other point, it obviously makes HUGE financial sense on paper. You can only make a certain amount from the Luau + it's costly to run and as you said, there is some of the stereotypes they've been trying to get rid of in the luau (of course it's not too much different from luaus i've done in Hawai'i).

A DVC resort along Seven Seas Lagoon will sell out quick and for an extremely high price. It's a way to inject some quick profit on the initial payment and then basically lock families into coming and giving money to Disney for the next 50 years, and probably paying close to $60-$75K on Annual Dues over the course of that 50 years per member. That money makes it so improvements to the resort or the necessary resort refurbishments after 7 years (per contract) are basically free for Disney to do since they're using the members money for the most part.

I agree, they probably just took the look of Reflections, dropped it here and made it a smaller building. But really everything seems to looks pretty similar. Bland and modern with as little actual theme work that they actually need to do.

4-Star, 700 room Luxury resort (canceled):

Disneyland Hotel DVC:
Screen-Shot-2021-11-20-at-9.49.45-AM-720x340.png

Thinking about it, the Luau was problematic for so many reasons.
I never ate there so I can’t speak to the show, but the building was falling apart. I suspect DisTwitter will spend a lot of time complaining about Disney getting rid of another “classic” but 3.5 stars on Google speaks for itself.

As to your other point, it obviously makes HUGE financial sense on paper. You can only make a certain amount from the Luau + it's costly to run and as you said, there is some of the stereotypes they've been trying to get rid of in the luau (of course it's not too much different from luaus i've done in Hawai'i).

A DVC resort along Seven Seas Lagoon will sell out quick and for an extremely high price. It's a way to inject some quick profit on the initial payment and then basically lock families into coming and giving money to Disney for the next 50 years, and probably paying close to $60-$75K on Annual Dues over the course of that 50 years per member. That money makes it so improvements to the resort or the necessary resort refurbishments after 7 years (per contract) are basically free for Disney to do since they're using the members money for the most part.
Yeah, until people stop writing checks for DVC, it'll keep getting built. Riviera is already well more than paid off if point sale tracking websites are accurate. And in the buyers' defense, it is technically an asset that has proven to be rather resilient - I've never thought of buying it, but I know people who bought dips and have done quite well with it.

Also, part of the reason all these things look similar is because the portion of WDI dedicated to hotel design is very, very small. It also looks like multiple things that didn't happen, and a lot like one of them.

Was wondering how the monorail was going to interact with the west side of the building so I guess I got my answer.... not well.