Pop Warner National Championship Moving to UOR | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

Pop Warner National Championship Moving to UOR

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
The key here is "multiyear." Come 2024, when I think most agree we'll be in the "new normal," UOR will still have 10,000 families coming to fill hotel rooms, with off days and siblings requiring park visits. Especially when most kids that age would rather visit Uni than Disney anyway. Will all the money flow to UOR? No, this is probably also a boon to mid I-Drive, basically anyplace within strolling distance of Endless Summer. But they are outside the Disney bubble now, and once you teach families that's an option, they may never go back.
This is definitely a big longer term win for Universal. Not really speaking financially, but in terms of gaining more exposure and having kids grow up with Universal.

At the same time, I could see Pop Warner paying to buyout MK or something for a night now that they aren't around the resort all the time and in that case, that's easy money for the mouse without having to worry about dealing with those kids. "Multi-year" to me means probably somewhere around 2-4 years. I expect for Disney to fight for those events back as during normal times, they are some of the bigger events that happen at WWoS.

Disney better keep close with the AAU though, because if they lose them to Universal as well, then they'll have a whole complex just sitting there, waiting for contracts to expire so they can get them back from Universal. AAU changing over to Universal would be almost an even bigger move because the majority of the sports that operate in the complex are AAU.

The key here is "multiyear." Come 2024, when I think most agree we'll be in the "new normal," UOR will still have 10,000 families coming to fill hotel rooms, with off days and siblings requiring park visits. Especially when most kids that age would rather visit Uni than Disney anyway. Will all the money flow to UOR? No, this is probably also a boon to mid I-Drive, basically anyplace within strolling distance of Endless Summer. But they are outside the Disney bubble now, and once you teach families that's an option, they may never go back.
The value of exposing all those families to Universal Orlando will show in years to come and they will bring their families back to grow the cycle. The name association with "Pop Warner" does not hurt either. Very big deal to snag this.

Eh. I’d suspect Pop Warner will return to Disney after this agreement ends. Having supported a number of youth soccer tournaments, the convenience of fields, hotels, and entertainment all in “one” location is the biggest sell. The priority is the sport at these national tournaments. The theme parks are a nice distraction, but the fact the families now have to get on I-4 in order to get to their games (and practices) is likely to be a big turn-off.

Reactions: Nick and SeventyOne
Eh. I’d suspect Pop Warner will return to Disney after this agreement ends. Having supported a number of youth soccer tournaments, the convenience of fields, hotels, and entertainment all in “one” location is the biggest sell. The priority is the sport at these national tournaments. The theme parks are a nice distraction, but the fact the families now have to get on I-4 in order to get to their games (and practices) is likely to be a big turn-off.
Think of how early they'll have to leave to make sure they get there on time now that I-4 traffic has to be taken into account. I get Universal wanting to attach themselves to this and it's obviously smart of them to do so, but if i'm a parent, i'm pissed because i'd rather be staying at a Marriott or something right next door to the facility.

Think of how early they'll have to leave to make sure they get there on time now that I-4 traffic has to be taken into account. I get Universal wanting to attach themselves to this and it's obviously smart of them to do so, but if i'm a parent, i'm pissed because i'd rather be staying at a Marriott or something right next door to the facility.
It’s a big difference.

I know it’s not *planned* but a small, 3k person, multi-use stadium (soccer, football, concerts) on the south property would provide a sizable increase in opportunities like this. Shoot, I’d recommend going a step further and hosting OCB or Orlando Pride games there.

Reactions: SeventyOne and Nick
It’s a big difference.

I know it’s not *planned* but a small, 3k person, multi-use stadium (soccer, football, concerts) on the south property would provide a sizable increase in opportunities like this. Shoot, I’d recommend going a step further and hosting OCB or Orlando Pride games there.
I was thinking the same thing.

They have the extra land and a 4th park isn't something i'm ever counting on happening, so why not make use of the land you have to offer a a complex that they could attach the NBC Sports name onto and be able to host some of these things themselves? As for the Pride playing there, I mean, maybe I could see it as a way to inaugurate the complex (should it even happen), but the Pride play at Exploria, which is plenty nice and new. Although I suppose maybe something a bit smaller (but still nice) would allow the Pride to save on budgetary costs as far as how much they pay to use the stadium.

I was thinking the same thing.

They have the extra land and a 4th park isn't something i'm ever counting on happening, so why not make use of the land you have to offer a a complex that they could attach the NBC Sports name onto and be able to host some of these things themselves? As for the Pride playing there, I mean, maybe I could see it as a way to inaugurate the complex (should it even happen), but the Pride play at Exploria, which is plenty nice and new. Although I suppose maybe something a bit smaller (but still nice) would allow the Pride to save on budgetary costs as far as how much they pay to use the stadium.
I was fairly certain the Pride is (was?) moving to the training complex in Kissimmee for games (while training in Sanford, which is crap, but that’s a different argument). I know OCB is playing out there.

I was fairly certain the Pride is (was?) moving to the training complex in Kissimmee for games (while training in Sanford, which is crap, but that’s a different argument). I know OCB is playing out there.
I don't follow the Pride extremely close, so i'm sure you're right. And if that's the case, it would help allow the Pride to have a home w/training attached at the same location. But this is all just a theoretical. If they were to build a small sports complex though, this is what I think would be best to capitalize on space:
  • 3-5K Multi-use outdoor stadium (Baseball, Football, Soccer, Lacrosse, Concerts, etc.)
  • 3-5K Multiuse Indoor Arena (Basketball, Cheerleading, Indoor Volleyball, possible Hockey use, Concerts, etc.)
  • 2 limited seating outdoor practice venues (This could allow tournaments to be held at the complex, with multiple games being played at once)
  • Possible smaller indoor multi-use facility.
That's really about it and it wouldn't take up much space at all. Disney still would have the upper hand in some respects as they have dedicated as they have dedicated tracks for track & field, tennis courts, and dedicated baseball fields, but what I lay out above is the essentials and it's enough to hold tournaments and multiple games at one time.

It would also give Universal two new potential concert venues, with concert capacity obviously exceeding the potential 5K seating capacity as you would have a lot of general admission/floor tickets that could be sold, meaning that this wouldn't necessarily just be for sports, but this could also be a spot where artists book like House of Blues. Add on a restaurant/bar around the area and you've got yourself a nice little area that serves Universal well all around. And like I said, this wouldn't need nearly the amount of space WWoS does.

If I happened to be going to Universal around that time, would I notice much of a difference? Especially if I'm staying off site?

Football is at CB, Cheer at Dockside. They are all providing transportation to the parks and the stadium.

Not seeing official dates anywhere though.

At the same time, I could see Pop Warner paying to buyout MK or something for a night now that they aren't around the resort all the time and in that case, that's easy money for the mouse without having to worry about dealing with those kids.

I'd hate to be the pop warner rep when Universal found out they paid to buy out a Disney park.

Reactions: SeventyOne
Football is at CB, Cheer at Dockside. They are all providing transportation to the parks and the stadium.

Not seeing official dates anywhere though.

I'd hate to be the pop warner rep when Universal found out they paid to buy out a Disney park.
Pop Warner has done it for years at Universal while being hosted by Disney for their events. Disney didn’t get mad. They were the ones making that made money for years and years off the kids that come through the pop Warner kids.

If I bought a $1K Louis Vuitton t-shirt and was also a regular Louis V shopper, I can promise you they won’t get offended if I went and spent $75 at Express the next day. Hell, it wouldn't be much of a problem to them if they started buying some of their stuff at Gucci as long as they remain a loyal customer. And yes, Disney is Express in this metaphor. :lol:

Pop Warner has done it for years at Universal while being hosted by Disney for their events. Disney didn’t get mad. They were the ones making that made money for years and years off the kids that come through the pop Warner kids.

If I bought a $1K Louis Vuitton t-shirt, they won’t get offended if I can promise you they won’t get offended if I went and spent $75 at Express the next day. And yes, Disney is Express in this metaphor.

If you left my biggest competitor and came and made a business arrangement with me, then went and still did business with my competitor rather than me, we'd be having a conversation.

And comparing $75 shirts to Multi-million dollar buyouts is like comparing apples to moon rocks. They aren't on the same planet. I'm willing to bet that park buyouts are specifically stipulated in the contract.

Reactions: RevFreako
If you left my biggest competitor and came and made a business arrangement with me, then went and still did business with my competitor rather than me, we'd be having a conversation.

And comparing $75 shirts to Multi-million dollar buyouts is like comparing apples to moon rocks. They aren't on the same planet. I'm willing to bet that park buyouts are specifically stipulated in the contract.
If the freedom to buy-out another park is the only way to get the contract in the first place, you stop caring real fast.

Universal makes a big show internally about how they’re not “in competition” with Disney. To them, all money is good money.

Okay, but like I said, when they were with Disney, Disney let them go and do buyouts at Universal. And Universal isn't really in a position to play the needy one in a relationship, especially when the other one in a relationship is like the hot girl in school and has a lot of options. They don't have to choose Universal OR Disney.

There are plenty of great sporting complexes in this country that would love their business. @Joe had a great example already, which was that there's a sporting complex that Cedar Point recently built and owns. I'm sure Texas would love their business too, they have multiple Six Flags' to choose from. Or how about them taking their talents to Vegas and let Mom and Dad have some fun!

comparing $75 shirts to Multi-million dollar buyouts is like comparing apples to moon rocks. They aren't on the same planet. I'm willing to bet that park buyouts are specifically stipulated in the contract.
In the the analogy, it makes plenty of sense.

Universal has a deal that's worth millions of dollars per year and provides stability to their room capacity during slower periods, thus why they are the Louis Vuitton. Meanwhile, Disney AT BEST, gets a buyout from them, which can be done for a lot cheaper than you'd think. They probably wouldn't go for a buyout though because everything is either equal pricing or more at Disney. I'd say that they would probably buy Disney tickets with Disney through group rates.

Last edited:
Okay, but like I said, when they were with Disney, Disney let them go and do buyouts at Universal. And Universal isn't really in a position to play the needy one in a relationship, especially when the other one in a relationship is like the hot girl in school and has a lot of options. They don't have to choose Universal OR Disney. There are plenty of great sporting complexes in this country that would love their business.

In the the analogy, it makes plenty of sense.

Universal has a deal that's worth millions of dollars per year and provides stability to their room capacity during slower periods. Meanwhile, Disney AT BEST, gets a buyout from them, which can be done for a lot cheaper than you'd think.

They probably wouldn't go for a buyout though because everything is either equal pricing or more at Disney. I'd say that they would probably buy Disney tickets with Disney through group rates.

You don't sign a contract to buy a shirt., but if you really want to go down the shirt analogy path. If someone shows they are willing to buy a $1,000 shirt from you, you don't let them go buy a $75 shirt from your competitor. You give them a $75 shirt to keep them from walking into the competitors store.

But if you are a theme park, and have 10,000 customers in your hotels, you do whatever it takes to keep those people on property, in the parks, and at citwalk. Hell a park buyout is probably part of the contract. Give them the tickets. You'll make it up on them staying on property eating and buying merch. The only way I see a pop warner organized group going to Disney is if they either stipulated it in their contract or if they also do at least one night at the Uni parks.