Psycho Restaurant Idea | Inside Universal Forums

Psycho Restaurant Idea

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Jul 24, 2008
Orlando, FL
Bates Restaurant- "Mother's Home Cooking".

Ok, take out NBA City, and in similar style to Be Our Guest, the front facade would look like the Bates Motel and up behind it would be a grass covered hill with the famous Bates house in forced perspective like Beasts Castle (only not as extreme, see pic below).

The entrance would be through the hotel office. You check in and are taken down a short hall where you turn a corner and you are in the Bates house living room. The place looks like the living room, kitchen, etc from the movie but the place has been set up with tables. If you remember, Norman is an amateur taxidermist, so the place would be covered in "stuffed animals". Many of them would be AAs that move subtly every few mins a la Madam Leota Headstone. The wait staff would play up the backstory of Norman was eventually released from "The Hospital" (waitress uses finger quotes and eye roll) and has turned the old place into a restaurant. They would serve meatloaf, fried chicken, chicken and dumplings, pork chops, charcoal grilled burgers, and steak. And have a creative list of Potable Poisons.

And like a few of the other CityWalk restaurants, at one end of the hotel would be a gift shop selling Bates Motel and Restaurant glass ware, ashtrays, coffee mugs, those sixties diamond shaped hotel key key rings, bath robes, bath accessories (towels, toiletries, straight razor shave kit, etc.)

So, what do you guys think?

batesmotel.jpg

Last edited:
This is a cool idea, I really like the concept. Just two things...

1. I feel like a highly-themed dining experience like this belongs in the Studios rather than Citywalk. I know you get later hours in Citywalk but it seems more like an urban mall rather than a spot for immersive dining. Just doesnt seem to fit their MO as of late, and I feel like it would stick out.

2. The atmosphere, layout, all that is great, but I feel like it could be heightened with some kind of hook. You have the taxidermy figures moving which is cool, but the rest of the restaurant's appeal relies in the atmosphere alone--however, Psycho was a much more character-driven movie, and the house where we would be dining didnt get enough screen time to really resonate with the diners who would eat here, IMO. Some kind of show or even a gimmick could work wonders for this concept I think. While eating in the Psycho house is cool, I dont imagine its most people's priority--it would be neat if something happened while there.

Thats just my two cents, though. Overall its a really neat idea and I would make a point to go somewhere like this.

This is a cool idea, I really like the concept. Just two things...

1. I feel like a highly-themed dining experience like this belongs in the Studios rather than Citywalk. I know you get later hours in Citywalk but it seems more like an urban mall rather than a spot for immersive dining. Just doesnt seem to fit their MO as of late, and I feel like it would stick out.

2. The atmosphere, layout, all that is great, but I feel like it could be heightened with some kind of hook. You have the taxidermy figures moving which is cool, but the rest of the restaurant's appeal relies in the atmosphere alone--however, Psycho was a much more character-driven movie, and the house where we would be dining didnt get enough screen time to really resonate with the diners who would eat here, IMO. Some kind of show or even a gimmick could work wonders for this concept I think. While eating in the Psycho house is cool, I dont imagine its most people's priority--it would be neat if something happened while there.

Thats just my two cents, though. Overall its a really neat idea and I would make a point to go somewhere like this.
Yeah, I originally had it with more wait staff/actor scripted stuff like The Adventures Club. Maybe something like the pretext that the cops think Norman may be up to his old tricks.

I do think it would look great in the studios where Curious George is. :rofl:

Last edited:
Sounds awesome.
Love the tv show "Bates motel." Its really shows off the inside of the house and hotel. I can totally see this as a dining experience!

Also in the tv they make Pot roast. That would be a good menu item.

I don't think anyone in their right mind is clamoring for "Mother's Home Cooking" from Psycho. :lol: A Horror Nights limited time thing yes but otherwise no.

I don't think anyone in their right mind is clamoring for "Mother's Home Cooking" from Psycho. :lol: A Horror Nights limited time thing yes but otherwise no.

Oooh, sound stage 33 has a kitchen right? (For corporate and special event taste testing) A temporary HHN restaurant in there with a complete set, atmosphere and, performers... Let's do this!!

The concept sounds great! This would really bring out Universal's "classic" side. If it does happen imagine the fighting you would have to do to reserve a table. :rofl:

Last edited: