Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Questions about things I have not done at Universal

Aug 7, 2018
Hey all, while I'll be asking questions regarding my trip specifically, I think this could be a good thread for any general questions people have regarding some things they may or may have not done beforehand at UOR. Since I don't think these belong in a specific thread relating to the attractions, I thought this might be a good thread for trip planning and such. If mods disagree please feel free to delete and switch these over somewhere else, my apologies if this is in the wrong place.

Beside the point, in my 10+ years of going to Universal, you'd be shocked to learn there are a few things I still have never done! For reference, I'll be attending this coming April. So, a couple questions:

- Is Poseidon Fury run on a show schedule, or is it open all day? For those who have done it, what is the max wait time you would recommend waiting for this? I've heard good things about this attraction but have never been able to do it. I don't see showtimes listed online anywhere but I feel they wouldn't advertise those outside the parks either. Frankly didn't go into Lost Continent much on our last trip.

- Is Mythos still popular enough that a reservation is required? We'd likely go at the end of a day at IOA. Don't want to show up at 7:30 and have to wait and hour or 2. Not sure if they even take reservations but figured id ask.

- Anotjitos or Red Oven Pizza? We're fans of both cuisines, but between eating in the parks a few nights, a definite stop at Vivo and Cowfish and The Palm at Hard Rock, realizing our dinner options are slowly dwindling! Do people strongly recommend one over the other?

- Participating in Fear Factor- How early do you recommend heading over to casting? Is it difficult to get a spot in the show?

- Since the people I normally travel with don't enjoy the Simpsons, never really ate in there. Not there during HHN either so I'm not sure how vastly different the beer selection is. Any recommendations that aren't normally available during HHN? Also with Fast Food Boulevard, any food recommendations? I know this is basic fried food but I mean I'm sure there are stronger selections than others. Can you bring your food over into Moe's as well?

- NBC Media Center - Never done this, do I just show up and they have screenings available? This sounds cool honestly and since im doing a 10 day trip, I could easily see us doing this at least 2 of our days at USF. Especially if Bourne doesn't happen to be open just yet.

- Last, but arguably most important: Who Hash or Buff Chix Tots? Pizza Tots and Green Egg and Ham tots have already been decided on. Looking for reviews on the others.

Thanks in advance to anyone who bothers to help me with this. Not pressing questions, but I'm freezing here in Maine these last few days and have some time off work so I wanna think of my happy place. Thanks again y'all!

PF has a regular schedule. Open hours are on the park map handed out at the gate and vary a bit depending on how long the park is open that day. Just ask the TM at the beginning of the outdoor entrance line how soon until the next show. It's OK to wait around 15 to 20 minutes since it has the best air conditioning in the park and will definitely be a nice respite on a hot day. Plus the tunnels through the temple are interesting to experience. I can never understand the hate for the attraction. We like it and do it once every vacation. The experience varies though depending how good an actor your tour guide is. The last few years, all the guides we had were excellent....Get a reservation early in the day for Mythos, otherwise you might have a bit of a wait during the fairly busy 11:00 AM to 2:00 PM lunch hours. Check to see how long they're open since sometimes they aren't open real late. ...Moe's has a seating area that you can bring your food into. As fast food goes, Simpsons is decent. ....The outdoor Taco truck has OK tacos also.

PF has a regular schedule. Open hours are on the park map handed out at the gate and vary a bit depending on how long the park is open that day. Just ask the TM at the beginning of the outdoor entrance line how soon until the next show. It's OK to wait around 15 to 20 minutes since it has the best air conditioning in the park and will definitely be a nice respite on a hot day. Plus the tunnels through the temple are interesting to experience. I can never understand the hate for the attraction. We like it and do it once every vacation. The experience varies though depending how good an actor your tour guide is. The last few years, all the guides we had were excellent....Get a reservation early in the day for Mythos, otherwise you might have a bit of a wait during the fairly busy 11:00 AM to 2:00 PM lunch hours. Check to see how long they're open since sometimes they aren't open real late. ...Moe's has a seating area that you can bring your food into. As fast food goes, Simpsons is decent. ....The outdoor Taco truck has OK tacos also.
Appreciate the response! Id have to check park hours in general for this April but thats good to know about Mythos, we'll just go there on our way to Hogsmeade one morning or go to a vacation planning spot or something. Im excited for Poseidon's Fury! I used to go with my mother, brother, and sister. Never really got along with my bro and sis tbh, and they'd never do a walkthrough attraction because "We came here to ride things" so ya I'm excited for it. The facade and area is incredible so I can only imagine whats inside. Very excited honestly. Thanks for the help :thumbsup:

Appreciate the response! Id have to check park hours in general for this April but thats good to know about Mythos, we'll just go there on our way to Hogsmeade one morning or go to a vacation planning spot or something. Im excited for Poseidon's Fury! I used to go with my mother, brother, and sister. Never really got along with my bro and sis tbh, and they'd never do a walkthrough attraction because "We came here to ride things" so ya I'm excited for it. The facade and area is incredible so I can only imagine whats inside. Very excited honestly. Thanks for the help :thumbsup:
They've done some updates/upgrades on PF the past two years, so it's in much better shape than it was in the past, plus the scene changes really plussed the experience. and Yes....maybe one of the very best facades of any theme park attraction. They've recreated the walk through the bowels of an ancient Greek temple pretty well too.

They've done some updates/upgrades on PF the past two years, so it's in much better shape than it was in the past, plus the scene changes really plussed the experience. and Yes....maybe one of the very best facades of any theme park attraction. They've recreated the walk through the bowels of an ancient Greek temple pretty well too.
Ya im honestly pretty excited to do it. I feel ashamed Ive spent so much time in IOA and never done it haha. I think the only other "attraction" I've never done there is the storm force tea cups type thing. So PF is a priority on this trip and will likely be done on my first day at IOA.

Ya im honestly pretty excited to do it. I feel ashamed Ive spent so much time in IOA and never done it haha. I think the only other "attraction" I've never done there is the storm force tea cups type thing. So PF is a priority on this trip and will likely be done on my first day at IOA.
No teacups for me either....Never, never, never :smash:

Mythos ressies are open at 11:00 and usually the last seating is 5 or so. Plan on lunch there, I find it the best in park restaurant I have done anywhere.

Mythos ressies are open at 11:00 and usually the last seating is 5 or so. Plan on lunch there, I find it the best in park restaurant I have done anywhere.
Oh I've been to Mythos many a times, never really been on a full vacation without my mom and family here, so the planning is just different this time on my end ya know. I didn't know last seating was at 5, though? I thought they stayed open until park closing? Maybe we just ended up being late/staying late but I can almost swear years ago I had a late-ish dinner there around 6/7. I could be wrong though and times likely change. I'll be there at 11 one day making a reservation for sure.

Oh I've been to Mythos many a times, never really been on a full vacation without my mom and family here, so the planning is just different this time on my end ya know. I didn't know last seating was at 5, though? I thought they stayed open until park closing? Maybe we just ended up being late/staying late but I can almost swear years ago I had a late-ish dinner there around 6/7. I could be wrong though and times likely change. I'll be there at 11 one day making a reservation for sure.
I've seen them open later than 5 a few times, so it may have something to do with projected attendance. But I've seen them close early too, so it's probably best to ask day of.

I've seen them open later than 5 a few times, so it may have something to do with projected attendance. But I've seen them close early too, so it's probably best to ask day of.
just looked and the park is open till 9/10 while I'm there. Im not doubting you guys I guess Im more surprised its not open a bit later for dinner. I'll figure it out once I'm there though. I know Universal restaurants tend to not be uber crazy that you gotta book reservations far in advance but I know this one is super popular so its good to double check.

just looked and the park is open till 9/10 while I'm there. Im not doubting you guys I guess Im more surprised its not open a bit later for dinner. I'll figure it out once I'm there though. I know Universal restaurants tend to not be uber crazy that you gotta book reservations far in advance but I know this one is super popular so its good to double check.
Maybe they will operate later, do check when closer to date.

- Anotjitos or Red Oven Pizza? We're fans of both cuisines, but between eating in the parks a few nights, a definite stop at Vivo and Cowfish and The Palm at Hard Rock, realizing our dinner options are slowly dwindling! Do people strongly recommend one over the other?

Well, one is a sit down and one is quick service. Antojito's is a favorite, especially when the Mariachis are playing.

- Since the people I normally travel with don't enjoy the Simpsons, never really ate in there. Not there during HHN either so I'm not sure how vastly different the beer selection is. Any recommendations that aren't normally available during HHN? Also with Fast Food Boulevard, any food recommendations? I know this is basic fried food but I mean I'm sure there are stronger selections than others. Can you bring your food over into Moe's as well?

Moe's is seating for FFB, so yes you can bring food in. The beer selection is Duff Light (light lager), Duff (American lager), Duff Dry (darker, malty beer I forget what style it technically is). I like Duff and Duff Dark. As for food, I'm partial to the Krusty Burger. It's the epitome of a theme park fast food burger.

- NBC Media Center - Never done this, do I just show up and they have screenings available? This sounds cool honestly and since im doing a 10 day trip, I could easily see us doing this at least 2 of our days at USF. Especially if Bourne doesn't happen to be open just yet.

This isn't an attraction, it's a test screening center. There is not set times nor set schedules. When there's something to test for there will be people outside trying to match a market demographic.

Well, one is a sit down and one is quick service. Antojito's is a favorite, especially when the Mariachis are playing.

Moe's is seating for FFB, so yes you can bring food in. The beer selection is Duff Light (light lager), Duff (American lager), Duff Dry (darker, malty beer I forget what style it technically is). I like Duff and Duff Dark. As for food, I'm partial to the Krusty Burger. It's the epitome of a theme park fast food burger.
Appreciate the info, thanks! The sit-down vs quick service isn't really the issue. I feel I tend to here most people talk about both restaurants (Antojitos and Red Oven) so wasn't sure if one should be a higher priority than another. The Duff Dry sounds right up my alley, I sticked with the pumpkin beer last fall so ill give that a try.

Appreciate the info, thanks! The sit-down vs quick service isn't really the issue. I feel I tend to here most people talk about both restaurants (Antojitos and Red Oven) so wasn't sure if one should be a higher priority than another. The Duff Dry sounds right up my alley, I sticked with the pumpkin beer last fall so ill give that a try.
Antojito's is a much better restaurant than Red Oven. Red Oven is best for lunch or a late night snack. For dinner, Antojito's wins that battle easily. But that's not to say Red Oven is bad, just nothing special.

This isn't an attraction, it's a test screening center. There is not set times nor set schedules. When there's something to test for there will be people outside trying to match a market demographic.
Ah I see, so this is more a "If available" type deal? I know its not an attraction but it sounds fun seeing something early and providing feedback and such.

Antojito's is a much better restaurant than Red Oven. Red Oven is best for lunch or a late night snack. For dinner, Antojito's wins that battle easily. But that's not to say Red Oven is bad, just nothing special.

Good to know, pretty much the answer I needed. Thanks a bunch!