Race Through NY Starring Jimmy Fallon | Page 132 | Inside Universal Forums

Race Through NY Starring Jimmy Fallon

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Latest large format imax is officially dual 4k laser. Film imax is dead.
I wouldn't say film IMAX is dead, but close to it. One of the more recent releases was Rouge One but I would imagine it wasn't that great since it wasn't filmed in IMAX. Yes almost all of IMAX has now switched over to video and ironically is lower resolution than what has always been the standard for regular theaters. It's a sad ending for something that used to be the pinnacle of quality.

I wouldn't say film IMAX is dead, but close to it. One of the more recent releases was Rouge One but I would imagine it wasn't that great since it wasn't filmed in IMAX. Yes almost all of IMAX has now switched over to video and ironically is lower resolution than what has always been the standard for regular theaters. It's a sad ending for something that used to be the pinnacle of quality.
Yea rogue one was only transferred to film for places that didn't transition to digital yet.

Fallon is going to do a tremendous job in capacity for the park. With the current state of the park, people always rush towards Diagon and then migrate from back to front. Now, some of those people will begin their day with Fallon and then spread out to either Mummy or RockIt.

Yea rogue one was only transferred to film for places that didn't transition to digital yet.
Many theaters have both digital and film projectors. The reason for showing in film is to be able to show it in higher quality than other theaters. So in many cases in the example of Rogue One for instance theaters that had converted to digital still showed the film. The reason they have digital is so they can still show movies that don't get a film release.

Now of course in the case of a ride like this video will be the obvious preference even though you have to sacrifice some quality there's a large cost savings in not having to continually have prints made as well as not having to deal with the issues that come along with film in a ride system.

Many theaters have both digital and film projectors. The reason for showing in film is to be able to show it in higher quality than other theaters. So in many cases in the example of Rogue One for instance theaters that had converted to digital still showed the film. The reason they have digital is so they can still show movies that don't get a film release.

Now of course in the case of a ride like this video will be the obvious preference even though you have to sacrifice some quality there's a large cost savings in not having to continually have prints made as well as not having to deal with the issues that come along with film in a ride system.

I think we saw the problems with film in this format in Soarin' and I doubt Universal would make the same mistake given the drama WDW went through to convert the format. For a theme park digital makes more sense

Reactions: tielo and Mike S
I don't think this is even possible yet. Are you talking about 16k lumens as in brightness? People in the projector business have used k to describe brightness before it was about resolution. According to the Christie website 4k resolution 60k lumens is the best I can see they make. 8k resolution is just becoming a thing at CES this year. I would expect stacked 4k projectors for 3d for this ride.

USA Today was the one who said 16K projectors for this. So maybe they have a special set not for personal usage set aside?

Haven't really kept up with details of the ride. But I watched the video where Fallon describes going by a pizza shop and smelling pizza. Pretty neat. NYC has a pretty distinct smell to it so that would be pretty cool if they can get that in there somehow too. Hard to describe it, but anyone that's been there knows what I'm talking about.

I also think it would be cool if they had a holiday version as well during the holidays. NYC during Christmas time is great. I mean the tree is right there near the Comcast building. Perhaps it's going to be included in the ride year round, in which case I'll feel really stupid

Reactions: Mike S and Mad Dog
Haven't really kept up with details of the ride. But I watched the video where Fallon describes going by a pizza shop and smelling pizza. Pretty neat. NYC has a pretty distinct smell to it so that would be pretty cool if they can get that in there somehow too. Hard to describe it, but anyone that's been there knows what I'm talking about.

I also think it would be cool if they had a holiday version as well during the holidays. NYC during Christmas time is great. I mean the tree is right there near the Comcast building. Perhaps it's going to be included in the ride year round, in which case I'll feel really stupid
Yep. I love to visit NYC. Great ambiance of people, sights, smells & feelings. :thumbsup:

Reactions: Mike S
Weirdly it was filmed with Ultra Panavision onto a 65mm sensor, yet projected in regular Panavision (except for a few IMAX 70mm conversions). UP yields the widest screen format so its weird they used those lenses since it was never intended to be projected in that format.

Reactions: Mike S
Maybe Fallon will prove extremely popular. Soarin is a well liked ride, and as we've seen, pretty much regardless of the film content itself.

Id put money on Fallon being a crowd pleaser, a few hardened fans may well complain "more screens" but I think the general public will be lapping it up.

From what ive seen you could put Fallon on a carnival ride and folk will love it, pair that with the endless cross promotion opportunities and a ride system everyone can get on and you have a winner, Uni sure have been smart with this one.

As for all the talk on projectors, 4K, 70mm & IMAX, heck I still cant see a difference between HD and standard on my TVs at home :shrug::blank:

Last edited:
Id put money on Fallon being a crowd pleaser, a few hardened fans may well complain "more screens" but I think the general public will be lapping it up.

From what ive seen you could put Fallon on a carnival ride and folk will love it, pair that with the endless cross promotion opportunities and a ride system everyone can get on and you have a winner, Uni sure have been smart with this one.

As for all the talk on projectors, 4K, 70mm & IMAX, heck I still cant see a difference between HD and standard on my TVs at home :shrug::blank:
If I had to make a bold(ish) prediction, i'd say that guests will very likely enjoy Fallon more than Kong.

Reactions: UK-Trigg
If I had to make a bold(ish) prediction, i'd say that guests will very likely enjoy Fallon more than Kong.

Well, I get to ride both for the first time soon so Ill let you know. I will bow out of this thread before softs and I am Still proudly spoiler free on Kong so it will be an unbiased opinion :).

What with Kong, Hulk and Fallon I will have some serious thread catching up to do on my return :doh:

This might have been asked previously but there are tons of pages - is there going to be multiple videos? It would be cool if it was like Star Tours with different videos each time you ride

Source within park tells me there will not be a queue at all, it will be similar to Dumbo at MK where you "check in" and have a buzzer handed to you. The "pretty sure it is similar to Spiderman, but a lot like Shrek too."