Race Through NY Starring Jimmy Fallon | Page 14 | Inside Universal Forums

Race Through NY Starring Jimmy Fallon

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
And the goblin money changer.
This is the case in everything Cole, film stars in the middle of a shoot, singers on mega tours. If it happens then it happens and everyone must rally to deal with it best they can.
Exactly. Michael Jackson is a good example.

Before I start, I want to reiterate, I think this attraction sounds dumb.

But the handwringing accompanying it is HILARIOUS. Like, the biggest jump to conclusions matt ever.

"What if he becomes less popular in 10 years! What if he gets in a car accident! What if they replace him!"

Tonight show hosts last for decades. Yea, yea, yea, everyone will now bring up Conan. Conan was an aberration. Fallon, as a public persona, is bland and inoffensive. He's not going anywhere. The general public likes him. And even if he falls out of favor in 5-7 years, I'm willing to bet the attraction and attached store will have already paid for itself a few times over by then. Not to mention Universal clearly doesn't have qualms about replacing stuff. They can stick a new film and preshow in there in a few months if that ever happens.

"Universal Creative is done! There's nothing left!"

Sure, if we ignore Kong, Volcano Bay, Nintendo, Ministry of Magic, and the other projects in the pipeline, Universal Creative has nothing left in the tank. Like, next year Kong is going to make all the people thinking there's no innovation left look really dumb. Sure, the people who piss and moan about screens will throw their normal hissy fits, but everyone else will be cheering a spectacular new experience.

"Comcast is ruining the parks by getting involved!"
This isn't one I've seen here, but I have seen it on twitter. Even though Comcast is the one continually pumping more and more money into the parks. Sure, they're ruining it by replacing a movie no one cares about with one of their most important brands. Sure.

Before I start, I want to reiterate, I think this attraction sounds dumb.

But the handwringing accompanying it is HILARIOUS. Like, the biggest jump to conclusions matt ever.

"What if he becomes less popular in 10 years! What if he gets in a car accident! What if they replace him!"

Tonight show hosts last for decades. Yea, yea, yea, everyone will now bring up Conan. Conan was an aberration. Fallon, as a public persona, is bland and inoffensive. He's not going anywhere. The general public likes him. And even if he falls out of favor in 5-7 years, I'm willing to bet the attraction and attached store will have already paid for itself a few times over by then. Not to mention Universal clearly doesn't have qualms about replacing stuff. They can stick a new film and preshow in there in a few months if that ever happens.

"Universal Creative is done! There's nothing left!"

Sure, if we ignore Kong, Volcano Bay, Nintendo, Ministry of Magic, and the other projects in the pipeline, Universal Creative has nothing left in the tank. Like, next year Kong is going to make all the people thinking there's no innovation left look really dumb. Sure, the people who piss and moan about screens will throw their normal hissy fits, but everyone else will be cheering a spectacular new experience.

"Comcast is ruining the parks by getting involved!"
This isn't one I've seen here, but I have seen it on twitter. Even though Comcast is the one continually pumping more and more money into the parks. Sure, they're ruining it by replacing a movie no one cares about with one of their most important brands. Sure.

Yeah I agree with you. I think this what if something happens to Fallon crap is just plain dumb. I also don't think creative is done. My only point was I think they need some other rides built in the future that don't depend on 3D sims that make some people sick and other people complain that all they do is "watch a movie" which they can do at home. Personally I don't get sick and I don't think I can do this crap at home. But there is a crowd out there like that. I do think creative has creativity in them (they have proved that time and time again), I just wish they would start using those juices on a not so heavy screen based ride in Studios. I don't care if there are some screens. Like I don't think Nemo is a screen ride just because it has some. I just want it to be not so motion sickness city. When we went my BIL could only handle a couple and we had to skip Spider man because he was just not feeling well enough to do another one. I think this happens a good bit. That was my only point with what I was saying. I am surely not jumping off any cliffs like some of you all are :)

I think they're certainly selling both, since Fallon has really ignited an interest in the show in a younger demographic than normal, but yea, the main thrust is to sell the Tonight Show.

Much like Elsa and (especially) Cars, Fallon is another one of those weird occasional disconnects between my real world friends and the online theme park community. Yeah, he's affable and on the vanilla side, but most people I know in real life find him funny and charming. Those are the guys who have a long shelf life. Hell of a lot longer than an SNL character, but a lot of the people on Twitter attacking this lionize "The Making of Me."

Much like Elsa and (especially) Cars, Fallon is another one of those weird occasional disconnects between my real world friends and the online theme park community. Yeah, he's affable and on the vanilla side, but most people I know in real life find him funny and charming. Those are the guys who have a long shelf life. Hell of a lot longer than an SNL character, but a lot of the people on Twitter attacking this lionize "The Making of Me."

I don't dislike Fallon, but I think he's about as entertaining as watching paint dry. He's got a good writing team that knows how to push the buttons of the younger internet set though, as the multitude of viral videos his show produces shows.

Another thing to add onto Skip's point -

Tonight Show is the brand they are selling. Jimmy Fallon is not.
True that they could switch out for someone who may takeover the Tonight Show if that were to happen in a short period of time (which is very unlikely), but the attraction is very clearly selling Fallon over The Tonight Show. The name of the attraction is "Racing Through NY Starring Jimmy Fallon". No where is The Tonight Show mentioned and many foreigners still are not completely familiar with Fallon/The Tonight Show.

"The Making of Me" is hilarious. Five Stars. Would Recommend.

True that they could switch out for someone who may takeover the Tonight Show if that were to happen in a short period of time (which is very unlikely), but the attraction is very clearly selling Fallon over The Tonight Show. The name of the attraction is "Racing Through NY Starring Jimmy Fallon". No where is The Tonight Show mentioned and many foreigners still are not completely familiar with Fallon/The Tonight Show.

I'm definitely not arguing the worldwide appeal of it all.

Odd naming choice aside, the goal is to sell NBC by way of Tonight Show.

EDIT: Just had a thought. Depending on celebrity cameos, if they sell the attraction that it cameos by certain stars (like Timberlake) - it'll probably add that worldwide appeal.

Reactions: twebber55
I don't dislike Fallon, but I think he's about as entertaining as watching paint dry. He's got a good writing team that knows how to push the buttons of the younger internet set though, as the multitude of viral videos his show produces shows.

He's definitely not from the Bruce/Pryor/Kinnison/Hicks school (dating myself with those references I know--is there a modern equivalent?). But it's the innocuous guys like Seinfeld or Cosby ... well, oops ... who have decades-long careers.

Agreed on the writers, btw. But late Gen Xers eat his schtick up, too. My ex goes to bed to his show every night, e.g.

Reactions: JungleSkip
EDIT: Just had a thought. Depending on celebrity cameos, if they sell the attraction that it cameos by certain stars (like Timberlake) - it'll probably add that worldwide appeal.
Yes, they need at least a few A-list music/movie stars. Timberlake just finished touring the world earlier this year and is the obvious first choice for a celeb given their friendship. Beyond that they just need to pull a few more rabbits out of their hat (Taylor Swift, as much as I would hate it, would be a HUGE get and the audiences would love it). I would really love to see Kenan Thompson in the ride (even if it's the tiniest cameo) just for the fact that he started his career at USF.