Race Through NY Starring Jimmy Fallon | Page 154 | Inside Universal Forums

Race Through NY Starring Jimmy Fallon

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Right now Fallon is the best option in my opinion. I'm honestly tired of hearing about politics and Donald Trump. We get it, you guys hate him, but if does not have to be on every late night talk show everyday. That's all they are now a days. Fallon comes up with unique news stories and makes fun of them. And his segments after his monologues are acatual gold and make me laugh. He just needs to work on interviewing people and ask good questions

Right now Fallon is the best option in my opinion. I'm honestly tired of hearing about politics and Donald Trump. We get it, you guys hate him, but if does not have to be on every late night talk show everyday. That's all they are now a days. Fallon comes up with unique news stories and makes fun of them. And his segments after his monologues are acatual gold and make me laugh. He just needs to work on interviewing people and ask good questions
I agree that in a time where most late night shows are talking about politics, Fallon offers a relief. Still doesn't mean I like him, but I understand why some may choose him. But let's be honest, his interview style is that of a child and he's had about 4-5 years to work on it... at this point it's not getting better.

Reactions: RonaldsModernLife
Since we're doing the film swap thing, has anyone mentioned Hanna/Barbara to Jimmy Neutron to Despicable Me?

Despicable Me added a curved screen and actually changed things so was a complete overlay, but Jimmy Neutron literally kept all decor and just swapped out films and added new signage.

How about 3D theaters? Magic Journeys to Captain EO to Honey, I Shrunk the Audience to Captain EO (again) to Disney Pixar Short Film Festival -and- Magic Journeys to Legend of the Lion King (no more 3D screen) to Mickey's PhilharMagic (3D screen back) at Magic Kingdom. And a lot more went into renovating those theaters for each show than just swapping out films, for example moving seat bases were added for Honey, I Shrunk the Audience, etc.

And while we're on the subject of updating screenz, (because theme parks always say they like that they have to option to update them later,) what about Spider-Man 2.0? Entirely new render of the film with new backgrounds, new costumes for characters, new background characters added, and even a few extra seconds in each scene? Screen rides definitely get updated over time.

And then sometimes, not at all. See: Shrek.
Well technically that was Hitchcock: The Art of Making Movies before, and included a 3D portion where birds come through the screen and attack you. One of the two existing theaters and one of the preshow rooms have not changed shape since the Hitchcock days. However, the second part of the original show featuring a recreation of the shower scene from Psycho, as well as interactive show elements on the way out of the attraction were tore down and re-built as a second theater and preshow room for Shrek.

So, yea, technically that's a screen show that had its movie replaced. (Technically.)

PS. I hate Shrek: 4D, even though I actually love the Shrek films. And I would be happy if literally anything took it over at this point.

As of December, The Tonight Show is still #1 in ratings for its time slot: Late-night ratings, Dec. 12-16, 2016: ‘Late Show with Stephen Colbert’ drops – TV By The Numbers by zap2it.com

Whether you like him or not, many of Fallon's videos go viral on Facebook and other social media all the time.

I personally have never watched a full episode of the show (I DVRed the ones shot at Universal and fast forwarded through the interviews), but lots of people do like him. And, he's not interviewing people as the attraction, he's doing what he does well which is being silly and reacting to things. Have some faith this will work as an attraction, and if you personally don't like it, ride something else.

Well technically that was Hitchcock: The Art of Making Movies before, and included a 3D portion where birds come through the screen and attack you. One of the two existing theaters and one of the preshow rooms have not changed shape since the Hitchcock days. However, the second part of the original show featuring a recreation of the shower scene from Psycho, as well as interactive show elements on the way out of the attraction were tore down and re-built as a second theater and preshow room for Shrek.

So, yea, technically that's a screen show that had its movie replaced. (Technically.)

PS. I hate Shrek: 4D, even though I actually love the Shrek films. And I would be happy if literally anything took it over at this point.

Your knowledge of the original park is awesome.

i first visited in 1993, before going again in 2012 and buying APs because it is so great.

i freaking love these descriptions of the old attractions that i have a flicker of a memory about. :)

Fallon is 3D right?

At this point I'm fairly concerned I won't have the stamina to add it to my day. Just doing Spider-Man and Kong I had a temple headache from 3D and another attraction would be seriously pushing it.

Reactions: Coasted
You know I don't mind that you can see some of the soundstage on this part of New York. It makes sense to me that this street is leaking into Production Central, where it's nothing but soundstages. This is the end of the NY backlot area.

The center of the New York area is highly themed, with no seems really visible. It has alleys and fully fleshed out facades, side streets, and it feels authentic, (well as authentic as a Hollywood backlot gets.)

Then, around Louie's it starts to fade away back into studios. You start to see 2-dimensional facades painted onto the walls next to the arcade/gotham ice company bathrooms, and the illusion breaks as you exit NY.

That's the way I look at it anyway. The park is set up like a film studio, and as such when you enter or exit a land like a NY backlot, I expect to see it start and end like you're walking onto and off of the backlot.

The street side with Fallon only needs to look good blurry in the background behind shots in the park across the street. It's meant to be shot indirectly when filming commercials, TV, and movies (in the make-believe world where Universal is still a working film studio.) It doesn't have to be as perfect as the other side of the street with the fully fleshed out New York apartment facades, buildings that actually do see more regular filming.

In any case, I'd rather see a half finished 30 Rock than a tractor sticking out of an unthemed wall. But the thing that bothers me most about that street will always be that darn roller coaster track that flies out of a building.

Apropos of nothing, but Hitchcock to Shrek is surely the most dramatic drop-off in quality from an original attraction to its replacement in Universal history.

i freaking love these descriptions of the old attractions that i have a flicker of a memory about. :)

You may enjoy this, which extensively walks you through the park's early 1990s attraction lineup in great detail...

Apropos of nothing, but Hitchcock to Shrek is surely the most dramatic drop-off in quality from an original attraction to its replacement in Universal history.

You may enjoy this, which extensively walks you through the park's early 1990s attraction lineup in great detail...

Cool cool cool! Thanks for the video link! I'm writing a new series of gone attractions, and this may be helpful.

And I will always miss Hitchcock. One of my favorite attractions. Made me love filmmaking from a young age.

Reactions: Mike S and belloq87
Nice find. I watched the entire thing. With those long effects shows, and I love shows, it seems like it would take a good two days to go through the park as a newcomer. Another big quality change. The Western stunt show is like 10 times better than the horrible Fear Factor. My first time at Universal Studios was Spring 2004 (2011 for IOA). I really liked the 2004 park, but I think I would have liked the mid 90's park even better. I can see why their attendance was so good in the 90's. Lot's of interesting entertaining stuff that occupied large blocks of time. ....Though, with Diagon, the Studios is my favorite theme park along with MK. IOA is very close after those two. .

Fallon is evergreen, which helps. I'm not the biggest fan but I like him, yet NBC would be wise to keep the current POTUS as far away from the show as possible as it's already created backlash issues. Keeping him apolitical and still silly and likable will be the best way to ensure success for this attraction.
That's one of the reasons I like him because he doesn't get real political. Although, I've noticed an increase in political jokes. It's getting a bit annoying.

Universal would never allow a host so openly and aggressively political to anchor an attraction. Nor should they. I'm no fan of Fallon, but as a nighttime personality, he's exactly what you want for an attraction like this: non-confrontational and non-controversial.
I think I've heard him say, when he was being criticized for not being tough on Trump when on his show, that being confrontational and controversial is NOT what he's about. He's about having fun and a good time. That's what I respect about the guy.