Reedy Creek Improvement District | Page 16 | Inside Universal Forums

Reedy Creek Improvement District

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
No dice on this one:

State officials will not take over Space Mountain or other Disney World ride inspections soon, despite Gov. Ron DeSantis saying it would happen.

State lawmakers in the session that ended May 5 did not consider a bill for the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services to assume responsibility for Disney World’s ride inspections after DeSantis proposed doing that in mid-April amid his feud with the company over Florida’s so-called “don’t say gay” law.

Agriculture Commissioner Wilton Simpson appeared to support the idea at the time, but a spokesman for his office said this week that was not the case.

Brian Avery, an independent ride safety consultant, said Disney’s lawsuit against the governor and state filed the following week alleging political retaliation was a likely cause.

Speaking after DeSantis, Simpson said, “I stand here today in support of this legislation that will allow my department to conduct inspections when someone is seriously injured on an amusement ride. … We do that across the board for amusement rides everywhere, except large theme parks. Where a person is injured should not determine how the state responds.”

But Simpson’s office this week said his comments were not in support of DeSantis’ proposal to revoke Disney’s inspection exemption, but for a withdrawn amendment that would have allowed the department to inspect major theme parks’ rides after a complaint or reported accident.

Records show the amendment was filed April 14 and withdrawn prior to consideration on April 15, two days before the press conference.

Off of the lawsuit and into things actually pertaining to the district for a second. Gotta say this is most certainly a positive not just for the firefighters, but for the safety of everyone in WDW.

The RCFD has been understaffed for decades and they had been fighting with RCID on a new contract to hire an extra 40 firefighters and to raise pay and Reedy Creek (Disney) wouldn't do it. Since the RCID is now the Oversight District, they were now negotiating with the state and in just two weeks of negotiations they came to a deal. The deal gets RCFD the following:
  • 35+ in personnel
  • 2 Specialized Trucks will be staffed
  • 2 New Fire Rescues
  • $10,000 raise in starting pay
So while most of this between Florida and Disney has been nonsense, this is actually something that is much needed and will help WDW be able to function safely and the one thing I can say with a good amount of certainty is that this deal would not have been reached had Disney still been in control of the District so that's a silver lining in all of this.

Off of the lawsuit and into things actually pertaining to the district for a second. Gotta say this is most certainly a positive not just for the firefighters, but for the safety of everyone in WDW.

The RCFD has been understaffed for decades and they had been fighting with RCID on a new contract to hire an extra 40 firefighters and to raise pay and Reedy Creek (Disney) wouldn't do it. Since the RCID is now the Oversight District, they were now negotiating with the state and in just two weeks of negotiations they came to a deal. The deal gets RCFD the following:
  • 35+ in personnel
  • 2 Specialized Trucks will be staffed
  • 2 New Fire Rescues
  • $10,000 raise in starting pay
So while most of this between Florida and Disney has been nonsense, this is actually something that is much needed and will help WDW be able to function safely and the one thing I can say with a good amount of certainty is that this deal would not have been reached had Disney still been in control of the District so that's a silver lining in all of this.

That is good news. It also points at one of the reasons corporations aren't usually the best ones to make their own rules. There's been some who've asked for examples of why Disney shouldn't have been allowed to write their own rules. There's a good one.

That's the kind of thing that usually gets people up on arms. Corporation under pays and under staffs causing potential safety issues. Fortunately, in this case, it hadn't been a major problem before getting fixed.

Reactions: MrBlonde and Nick
It continues:
Disney is asking a judge to dismiss a lawsuit filed by Gov. Ron DeSantis’ tourism oversight board, the latest move in a back-and-forth legal battle that has drawn national attention.

The entertainment giant filed the motion Tuesday in state court in Orlando in response to a lawsuit filed by the DeSantis-appointed Central Florida Tourism Oversight District.

The struggle is over who will control the special district that oversees government services for Disney World. Disney first sued DeSantis, the oversight district and other state officials in federal court, arguing that they had engaged in a “targeted campaign of government retaliation.” Then the DeSantis-appointed board countersued in state court.

In the motion, Disney’s lawyers argue that a new state law seeking to void Disney’s development agreements renders the lawsuit moot. They also say the matter should be handled in federal court.

The Central Florida Tourism Oversight District defended its lawsuit in a prepared statement.

“This motion by Disney is entirely predictable and an acknowledgement they know they will lose this case,” said Alexei Woltornist, a district spokesman.

At the center of the dispute are development agreements approved by the previous Disney-friendly Reedy Creek Improvement District’s board. Those deals seek to put Disney in charge of development, tying the hands of the new DeSantis-appointed board that replaced Reedy Creek.

The new board voted to void the agreements when it took over, and DeSantis signed a law seeking to bolster their authority to undo them.

Reactions: Jerroddragon
I feel so bad for the people who already moved

There were also people who moved on from Disney when the move was announced, right? I understand the bigger picture here. It's a crappy situation for everyone involved.

I want to highlight something at the end of the article above in case people missed it:
"I remain optimistic about the direction of our Walt Disney World business," D'Amaro wrote. We have plans to invest $17 billion and create 13,000 jobs over the next ten years. I hope we’re able to do so."
Considering how quiet Disney has been when it comes to publicly discussing the case, it openly confirms that they intend to stay put. I also can't help but read that statement passive-aggressively but that might just be me. (Don't make Mickey take off the gloves.)

I've seen comments elsewhere and in person about how Disney was planning on moving out of FL like they could just pick up and leave by plopping the rides on a trailer and driving them away. :worried: Certainly smaller businesses are making those kinds of decisions but trying to replicate the entire Disney Orlando resort, or even the theme parks alone, is almost impossible.

Besides, if you know who were to become President it wouldn't matter what state they were in. Disney obviously knows that. There is a lot riding on this case as I've mentioned before.

There were also people who moved on from Disney when the move was announced, right? I understand the bigger picture here. It's a crappy situation for everyone involved.

I want to highlight something at the end of the article above in case people missed it:

Considering how quiet Disney has been when it comes to publicly discussing the case, it openly confirms that they intend to stay put. I also can't help but read that statement passive-aggressively but that might just be me. (Don't make Mickey take off the gloves.)

I've seen comments elsewhere and in person about how Disney was planning on moving out of FL like they could just pick up and leave by plopping the rides on a trailer and driving them away. :worried: Certainly smaller businesses are making those kinds of decisions but trying to replicate the entire Disney Orlando resort, or even the theme parks alone, is almost impossible.

Besides, if you know who were to become President it wouldn't matter what state they were in. Disney obviously knows that. There is a lot riding on this case as I've mentioned before.
the people can also voice if they don't want this to happen

Disney is a business and if they don't see this state as the best place to be they can move and the citizens if they see this as bad can voice there thoughts against it

But even if the Governor becomes President he can't stop Disney from going to Texas or wherever and starting a new special district

I kinda liked it because maybe it would incentivize imagineers to actually design rides and lands for Florida weather, but I’m also happy that they did this. If you’re gonna talk a big game about cutting investment in Florida, gotta back it up.
Many benefits for the company to kill the project and they get to run a spike at Ron in the process, win win as they say....
I think some people already made the move or left the company due to this plan? I feel for those caught in the whipsaw.

There were also people who moved on from Disney when the move was announced, right?
This is the bigger issue beyond paying people to move back to CA - a LARGE number of people elected to vacate jobs in 2022 because they were told they had to move to FL, and now those jobs are 1) not actually moving or 2) filled with people in Florida. There are absolutely consumer product jobs that are occupied by “former” WDW people… I guess now they either need to move to CA or find something else?

Also, let’s not forget… the original Lake Nona move was more or less because CA wouldn’t let Disneyland reopen - guess we can add that to the list of shortsighted Chapek moves.

They did something good, they kicked that guy off the board, and the new guy is now trying to take away the new raises and benefits from the RCFD that were agreed on by both parties. What a clown show. Unless they are going back to the negotiating table because they want to pay them even MORE money, then this is absolutely terrible optics.

Reactions: Grabnar and GA-MBIT
What did you expect-- they were appointed by a state government that has been very anti labor and anti union.
Well so were the people who put the RCFD contract in place when Disney had been unwilling to for years so that was the one thing they had actually read the room right on.