Reedy Creek Improvement District | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

Reedy Creek Improvement District

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
So in the scenario that RC is eliminated, what happens to them? Are they given to Orange County?

EDIT: Changed the thread title to better reflect what the main topic is.
I have no idea because it goes deeper than just who gets the garages - like, what happens to the bonds they issued to pay for the things? Telling Orange County that they owe people money in 5 or 10 or 20 years seems weird.

Taking away RCID would be a massive pain for everyone if it happened. The ultimate cut off the nose just to spite the face.

That said, if the state actually wanted to go after Disney, it would make plenty of sense to go after one of the many tax breaks and loopholes not affiliated with Reedy.

Taking away RCID would be a massive pain for everyone if it happened. The ultimate cut off the nose just to spite the face.

That said, if the state actually wanted to go after Disney, it would make plenty of sense to go after one of the many tax breaks and loopholes not affiliated with Reedy.
This is being talked about as well. Specifically about the social media bill that Disney was exempt from last year.

Also firing Chapek wouldn't fix this....this is a battle for government officials and they will continue to target Disney to make their base happy.
Obviously this is a Florida problem now no matter what. My point was it is completely Chapek created as he doesn't seem to be a good negotiator or really understand how to deal with conflict surrounding the company.

Disney does have one weapon they can use which is that WDI and the Disney Parks, Experiences, and Products are supposed to be moving to Florida. If Florida tries to pull a big stunt against Disney, they can always say that they aren't going through with moving everyone in that division from California to Florida.

Obviously this is a Florida problem now no matter what. My point was it is completely Chapek created as he doesn't seem to be a good negotiator or really understand how to deal with conflict surrounding the company.

Disney does have one weapon they can use which is that WDI and the Disney Parks, Experiences, and Products are supposed to be moving to Florida. If Florida tries to pull a big stunt against Disney, they can always say that they aren't going through with moving everyone in that division from California to Florida.

It will not be a huge factor and would in fact help the current florida politicians more. They don't want California transplants who will be blue values to Florida Those people can then change votes . Similar to what Texas is doing. You keep the people who vote opposite away by passing certain cultural laws that would prevent them from wanting to move there.

I saw Disney should let Reedy Creek dissolve. The county and the state will then have to pay for Disney which are going to hit the local communities hard which will then make people realize that actions have consequences particularly Osceola County.

Disney is in a catch-22. The creatives are relatively progressive and the parks are reliant on IP. Its also that love for Disney entertainment which drives people to want to go to the parks as well. So Disney can't afford to upset those people but you then have the parks which are located in a relatively conservative state. Chapek despite his initial mistake did the right thing. He went forward to support the people who make Disney, Disney which are the creatives. Imagine Disney without the impact of Howard Ashman who single handedly with the help of Alan Menken brought Disney back into their renaissance and their first animated film to get nominated for best picture.

The horror

Disney is in a catch-22. The creatives are relatively progressive and the parks are reliant on IP. Its also that love for Disney entertainment which drives people to want to go to the parks as well. So Disney can't afford to upset those people but you then have the parks which are located in a relatively conservative state. Chapek despite his initial mistake did the right thing. He went forward to support the people who make Disney, Disney which are the creatives. Imagine Disney without the impact of Howard Ashman who single handedly with the help of Alan Menken brought Disney back into their renaissance and their first animated film to get nominated for best picture.
In many ways Chapek is jumping in front of a parade that he's not leading, that's another reason I think he's unfit for his position.

As a gay and relatively conservative Floridian I need Disney to understand that they are not in charge of the state.

There are plenty of examples of companies that are doing good the correct way (see: Target), Disney is just making a fool of itself.

Last edited:
Chapek despite his initial mistake did the right thing. He went forward to support the people who make Disney, Disney which are the creatives. Imagine Disney without the impact of Howard Ashman who single handedly with the help of Alan Menken brought Disney back into their renaissance and their first animated film to get nominated for best picture.
As I said originally though, if you support something so much though like they are claiming, they should've been out there as soon as this got serious to try and pressure against it. Instead, they let it pass and then they came out in full support. To me, that shows it was just a huge backtrack to try and cover their butts, knowing full well there's nothing they can really do right now about it.

As I said originally though, if you support something so much though like they are claiming, they should've been out there as soon as this got serious to try and pressure against it. Instead, they let it pass and then they came out in full support. To me, that shows it was just a huge backtrack to try and cover their butts, knowing full well theirs nothing they can really do right now about it.
It's rare that you see a company so large shoot itself in both feet at the same time...but they managed to figure it out

So as other pointed out....besides this sucking because its basically blackmail on Businesses to keep your mouth shut against bad laws. Wont this just free Disney up to be your enemy?

Like why not just call them up and be like do you really care about this law? No we dont but we have to pretend we do and we will continue to fund you and be like, cool I've seen GOT this is how we play the game...but no Florida rather do something that could make a powerful enemy? Just everyone now of days seems so stupid and prideful

As I said originally though, if you support something so much though like they are claiming, they should've been out there as soon as this got serious to try and pressure against it. Instead, they let it pass and then they came out in full support. To me, that shows it was just a huge backtrack to try and cover their butts, knowing full well theirs nothing they can really do right now about it.

Right, if this was handled like the Georgia bill they came out against years ago, I don't think they'd be in the situation they're currently in. But what happened here was a total PR disaster that leaves a whole lot of distrust over anything they say at this point. Until there's signs they're truly taking action to support what they claim, anything they say just comes off as trying to save the face which they already blew off.

In many ways Chapek is jumping in front of a parade that he's not leading, that's another reason I think he's unfit for his position.

As a gay and relatively conservative Floridian I need Disney to understand that they are not in charge of the state.

There are plenty of examples of companies that are doing good the correct way (see: Target), Disney is just making a fool of itself.

I mean Florida's two biggest employers are Disney and the federal government via all the defense contracting companies/military bases. While they may not be in charge of the state, there is a vested interest and thanks to Citizen's United verdict, they are allowed to do so.

Reactions: Frogki
As I said at the beginning, please no political talk (especially of specific individuals) unless it's there's something relevant.

I will preface this by saying that I think both Disney and Comcast are both the stereotypical faceless evil corporations and what they've done is wrong.

That aside, I think how Disney and Universal have handled their PR in relation to everything, will be cases studies in business school sooner or later.

Not defending Chapek, as you'll see below, but you can't compare the two companies. There are no "Universal Adults." Comcast is not a lifestyle brand.

Chapek seems to be such a numbers guy he doesn't get the concept of optics. Why he was blindsided by the ScarJo lawsuit--from a financial viewpoint, he was absolutely right, she did fine. But he missed the idea that in Hollywood being relegated to Disney+ could be seen as a slight even when you make the same amount of money.

Then here he walked into a political debate where both sides are being performative and thought he could play peace-maker by spreading around donations to both sides. Not realizing the optics of having a Big Bad to stand against in order to raise even more money is more useful to all parties involved.

I keep seeing this argument. Not saying Florida politicians wouldn't like any increase in tax revenue, but have you seen rents lately? One division of one company not moving here while the rest of the country is will not be that huge a deal.

Disney has maneuvered themselves into a 'can't win situation' . Their not well thought out reactions at the beginning, and the follow up band aid remarks, have the potential to have the right, the left, and the center all mad at them. A Trifecta of p.o. people.
Well Bob did say they were trying to limit attendance in favor of higher rollers, I guess this is one way to do that

I keep seeing this argument. Not saying Florida politicians wouldn't like any increase in tax revenue, but have you seen rents lately? One division of one company not moving here while the rest of the country is will not be that huge a deal.
100 percent, Florida is growing at a rapid rate, Tampa alone is seeing huge increases in tech companies coming here

Disney may be big, but they aren't as important as they think they are

Reactions: SeventyOne
100 percent, Florida is growing at a rapid rate, Tampa alone is seeing huge increases in tech companies coming here

Disney may be big, but they aren't as important as they think they are
I mean while they would survive, if you could magically take out WDW it would really hurt that state. Universal and Disney are bringing in huge bucks for that state.

Not that Disney should be able to do everything but for sure what they did with this is nothing, republicans for in that state have gotten money from disney and universal then because of words that dont affect anything they get upset? To me its a joke

I mean while they would survive, if you could magically take out WDW it would really hurt that state. Universal and Disney are bringing in huge bucks for that state.

Not that Disney should be able to do everything but for sure what they did with this is nothing, republicans for in that state have gotten money from Disney and Universal then because of words that don't affect anything they get upset? To me its a joke
I'm not wanting them to go away, I like the parks and all that...but they do need to be held accountable for actions taken politically.

Unfortunately Disney is about to get hammered from both angles, that's on them and Chapek no having a spine.

I'm not blind to the fact that both parties in question (Disney and State) are benefiting from each other...but with that their needs to be some accountability.

This has been going on for a while though and people just haven't been paying attention.

I also want to be clear and say I hate the word "woke" and can't stand lumping all of these issues into one proverbial basket.

I am mainly concerned with the amount of our media Disney owns and especially care that so much of it is watched by children.

If it takes the state of Florida to get the ball rolling on lessening their influence, then I'm all for it.