Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Reflections: A Disney Lakeside Lodge

Does anybody know if Disney takes a DVC sale and amortizes it over the lifetime of the resort (couple decades)? Or do they take the entire purchase ($20k or so) and plop it onto that quarter’s earnings?

(Weird financial question, yes)

Does anybody know if Disney takes a DVC sale and amortizes it over the lifetime of the resort (couple decades)? Or do they take the entire purchase ($20k or so) and plop it onto that quarter’s earnings?

(Weird financial question, yes)

My understanding is the latter. Why the Powers That Be are so addicted to new DVC, it's a shot of easy money. The fact that someone at Disney will have to provide high-end resort level rooms for roughly $90 a night in 20 years will no longer be their problem.

While I hate to recommend WDWMagic forums--it's a toxic place--a guy on their named "Parentof4" does a a great job breaking down financial issues w.r.t. Disney, particularly DVC. If you peruse his old posts, you can get a lot of insight into how DVC works.

What caught me off guard is that Mickey himself is financing the loans. They’re not so much in the timeshare/real estate business here, as they are the mortgage loan business. After all is said and done they’re making a heck of a lot more than the asking price when you consider all the interest fees also go to them.

as someone who has enjoyed staying in camp wilderness, and feeling like classic Disney, being in the wilderness, this irks me. The bike/hike trail full of deer will likely be bulldozed to make room for bus parking and Mini-Van pick up locations.

There is nothing "natural" about that hotel design either. It looks budget sleek modern, which has already worn out it's allure in my opinion.

It definitely doesn't belong in that location.

What caught me off guard is that Mickey himself is financing the loans. They’re not so much in the timeshare/real estate business here, as they are the mortgage loan business. After all is said and done they’re making a heck of a lot more than the asking price when you consider all the interest fees also go to them.

12.5% If I remember correctly.

I have 3 years left on my mortgage, I did uhm and ah about wheter it was a good move, but in the end I was really glad I did. On a recent cruise I went to a DVC meeting and was surprised that points are now running $185 per point, wowzers, thats not far off double what I paid seven years ago. Bottom line is my DVC is getting more and more valuable as each year passes, whilst room rates go up and car park and other fees are introduced my points per night will always be the same. Granted the annual dues will go up but i'll still be quids in.

If you use rack rates, then Ive already used more then my mortgage cost and stayed in resorts I would never have paid $$$s for and I have over 40 years left to run on. Granted it's not for everyone but for me, and my family it has been a great investment.

The newer resorts give me more choice of places to stay too, adding more value, so for me, maybe selfishly, I say keep em coming.

12.5% If I remember correctly.

I have 3 years left on my mortgage, I did uhm and ah about wheter it was a good move, but in the end I was really glad I did. On a recent cruise I went to a DVC meeting and was surprised that points are now running $185 per point, wowzers, thats not far off double what I paid seven years ago. Bottom line is my DVC is getting more and more valuable as each year passes, whilst room rates go up and car park and other fees are introduced my points per night will always be the same. Granted the annual dues will go up but i'll still be quids in.

If you use rack rates, then Ive already used more then my mortgage cost and stayed in resorts I would never have paid $$$s for and I have over 40 years left to run on. Granted it's not for everyone but for me, and my family it has been a great investment.

The newer resorts give me more choice of places to stay too, adding more value, so for me, maybe selfishly, I say keep em coming.
Yup, I agree 100%. These new resorts aren't being built for the general public, they're meant to appease the growing base of "land owners" known as DVC members. Welcome home.

I mean, I'll be a member for 49 years with my current contract and it'll be paid off in just 10 (at 12% interest for me since I had the best credit possible by Mickey's standards apparently). That means I get 39 years of free resort stays after it's paid off. There's gotta be a lot of rooms to cover all those freeloaders in the coming decades.

Essentially, Disney is guaranteeing that they'll not only always be filling all these rooms, but that there will always be people like me visiting and spending whatever exorbitant amount they're charging for churros in the next 40 years.

Yup, I agree 100%. These new resorts aren't being built for the general public, they're meant to appease the growing base of "land owners" known as DVC members. Welcome home.

I mean, I'll be a member for 49 years with my current contract and it'll be paid off in just 10 (at 12% interest for me since I had the best credit possible by Mickey's standards apparently). That means I get 39 years of free resort stays after it's paid off. There's gotta be a lot of rooms to cover all those freeloaders in the coming decades.

Essentially, Disney is guaranteeing that they'll not only always be filling all these rooms, but that there will always be people like me visiting and spending whatever exorbitant amount they're charging for churros in the next 40 years.

Its what happens with the resorts once the terms are up peoples contracts that interests me. OKW will be the one to watch when the time comes, I wonder if they will offer incentives to resign after your 50 yrs are up (most likely be the kids by then) or will they just let them expire and resell at the current points price.

Which means for most of my DVC points uses over the next 50 years, I'll need to also purchase theme park tickets. Unless I go to Aulani, Vero Beach, or Hilton Head that is. Smart buggers they are.

Alicia, don’t you live in central Florida? I’m confused why you would have a DVC at all...

Alicia, don’t you live in central Florida? I’m confused why you would have a DVC at all...
It's the only way I could ever afford to stay at the Polynesian.

Just cause I live here doesn't mean I don't love to stay there. But there's only so many times you can stay at the moderates before wanting something a little more fancy. Doing the math, this is a way we can afford places like the Poly, AKL, Wilderness Lodge, etc, at about what we pay for Coronado Springs normally.

It's the only way I could ever afford to stay at the Polynesian.

Just cause I live here doesn't mean I don't love to stay there. But there's only so many times you can stay at the moderates before wanting something a little more fancy. Doing the math, this is a way we can afford places like the Poly, AKL, Wilderness Lodge, etc, at about what we pay for Coronado Springs normally.

Sounds logical then! :)

Sounds logical then! :)
It helped that I had never set foot in Wilderness Lodge when they offered to give us a $50 gift card and a free ride over to learn more. As soon as I walked into the lobby I knew I needed to stay there. Joining DVC seemed like a good deal to make it happen.

I don't mind being a sucker and falling for a sales pitch, if it means I get to vacation at places I love for the next 49 years. (Really, what this did was lock Jenn into it, so when I suggest Disney vacations in the future, she can't really shoot me down hohahahaha evil laugh hohahaha.)

I am 1.5 hours away from the parks and I can't count how many nights I have stayed at Universal. Unlike @Alicia I like to imbibe when I am at the parks so I refuse to drive back down I-4 after that. 50 year commitment though? To each their own.

It helped that I had never set foot in Wilderness Lodge when they offered to give us a $50 gift card and a free ride over to learn more. As soon as I walked into the lobby I knew I needed to stay there. Joining DVC seemed like a good deal to make it happen.

I don't mind being a sucker and falling for a sales pitch, if it means I get to vacation at places I love for the next 49 years. (Really, what this did was lock Jenn into it, so when I suggest Disney vacations in the future, she can't really shoot me down hohahahaha evil laugh hohahaha.)

If it works for you and your situation I can't fault anyone for buying into it. Each situation is different and you have plenty of company that found it is what works for them. Curious, what would Aluaini run you to spend a week? I looked at the hotel next door so something to compare it to would be helpful.
My first look at WL was on a backstage tour and having toured the great lodges of the west as a kid over several years I was impressed at the faithful recreation of the feeling of those lobbies.

If it works for you and your situation I can't fault anyone for buying into it. Each situation is different and you have plenty of company that found it is what works for them. Curious, what would Aluaini run you to spend a week? I looked at the hotel next door so something to compare it to would be helpful.
I think we'd have to bank our points for three years to spend a few days at Aulani (plus airfare of course) but it is possible. We only got 100 points per year with our plan. For studio rooms at WDW resorts that's perfect for us to do at least a 5-night stay and a weekend stay every year (or save up for something fancier like the Copper Creek cabin after a couple years).

I think we'd have to bank our points for three years to spend a few days at Aulani (plus airfare of course) but it is possible. We only got 100 points per year with our plan. For studio rooms at WDW resorts that's perfect for us to do at least a 5-night stay and a weekend stay every year (or save up for something fancier like the Copper Creek cabin after a couple years).
Thanks, that gives me an idea.
Back to the butt ugly river county replacement on your regularly scheduled viewing of this thread. Sorry for the tangent

I live here and have it as well. Actually probably the largest collection of DVC owners live in Central Florida.

As for why... we use it for Cruises, Aulani, Hilton Head, Vero Beach, Grand Californian, etc for example. Haven’t stayed at a WDW DVC since 2015 but we still get full use of our membership.