Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Revenge of the Mummy (USH)

Allen The Actor

Allen The Actor
Jan 10, 2013
Hill Valley, California
I know this has been discussed before, but I'm still so disappointed at USH cutting the original Mummy ride ending. We already got the butchered mummy ride, and they ruined the better ending. I know it was to save money and.cuz apparently the original projectors were failing, but with Comcast now investing in the parks, do you think we'll see a realistic refurb/reimagining of the Mummy ride? Maybe in time for the franchise reboot? Ideally I'd scrap it and put in the version they have in Singapore, but that ain't happening.

How do you guys think they can realistically upgrade the ride? For me, it would be the following:

Get the building up to fire codes and add fire effects. Add a couple more animatronics. Remaster the Mummy face projection in the main room in 4k and make the room more similar to Florida's version. Then, during the coaster portion, use projection effects like ones used on Space Mountain Ghost Galaxy to project actual mummies chasing you, maybe project Egypt around you, etc. and geez, change the ending. And I'd theme the building more, similar to Singapore.

What do you guys think?

Last edited by a moderator:
A simple solution, in my opinion, place CO2 blasts of cold smoke across the track in certain areas of the coaster and color them with orange and yellow lights!  That way you cannot tell where the track turns next and can make the expierence more intense.  Orlando already does this effect and CO2 is already installed into the venue in Hollywood.  Not a difficult upgrade.

I don't see Universal changing anything about Mummy even when the ending is laughable at best. But if Comcast was serious, I'd hope they're recreate something you mentioned above with the projection effects.

The "cardboard" cutouts have always seemed cheap in my opinion. Get rid of that and put something else in. Make it more of an experience like Singapore or Florida, and less of an indoor roller coaster in the dark (as it stands now).

I don't know. Most people usually point to Mummy when they compare the two parks as a representation of Hollywood's restrictions. Ours has always been the joke of all three Mummy coasters.

But do you think Universal would be willing to recreate the ride if another Mummy movie came out? Food for thought, it could be what Disney did to Star Tours. But instead of using the same building, they'd recreate something entirely new - bringing the best aspects of Florida and Singapore together.

Last edited by a moderator:
Comcast is serious in Florida with stuff as "simple" as changing queues, repainting lands, redoing queues, etc. Adding some of these effects Chris and i mentioned would be POCKET CHANGE to Comcast. And they can readvertise the ride like Disney did with Star tours. Seriously, if they can't rebuild the current ride, then just pack on the effects! Instead of neon cut outs, add projections like in Ghost Galaxy of mummies swinging at you, add C02, projections on the building walls or add panels they can project on, etc. There's so much they can do if they decide to....

Also, the Gringotts coaster in Florida is apparently rumored to be very heavy on effects during the internal coaster section of the ride. If USH ever decides to upgrade Mummy, maybe they can carry over the effects used in Gringotts? Imagine instead of the effects used to simulate the caverns of Gringotts, they used it to simulate going through temples in ancient Egypt. The current Universal Creative has enough imagination to pull it off.

That's interesting! I'm hoping for Comcast.

But then again, I was hopeful for General Electric - simply because they have a large reserve of cash. Too bad they're known for not using it...

I have faith in Comcast, only cuz look at what they're doing in Florida! They built an E-ticket transformers ride in a year (opens this summer), they continue to improve areas of the park even more than Disney, they're making a Springfield area, they've cleaned up and refurbed Suess Landing, they've remastered Spiderman, they added Despicable Me, and they're adding a massive London/Diagon Alley land that'll connect the two parks. If they invest as much over here after they're done in Florida, i think we'll see magic.

But I'm wondering how much of that is actually Comcast?

It's only been a few months. I saw their decision to buy the other share of Universal Orlando Resort, but have they managed to change the management of Universal theme parks? From what I've been told in Hollywood, nothing here has changed.

In fact, we've had the same management for years on end. But hey - here's hoping!

But I'm really hoping they preserve the essence of this park, and not simply turn us into a mini version of Florida. We need something unique, something you can't find anywhere else in the world.

It being split by the star way, it's size, and studio tour alone make it unique. I just want more rides ;)Also, i have a feeling that even though Comcast is serious, they're not Disney, who can have epic projects in both Florida AND Hollywood at the same time. I think we'll get more love once Florida is happy and done for a while.

Yeah, Comcast's plan is to make USH a multi-day destination, but is getting there, we got TF,  which BTW was a good addition to the park, but getting rid of T2 was sort of a mistake, i understand why there was barely no line for it. I could imagine the crowd levels at the park in the future. And parking is going to be an issue in the future. Orlando's is getting its crowds in both parks. but WWoHP was a bit of a little too much hype. I would imagine, TF, DM, and Harry Potter at USH, it's gonna get packed, which means higher prices and more traffic! The future of USH is 50/50. I understand why Universal Parks are adding less Universal brands because they haven't had a hit movie for several years.

- Happy Wholibration! Eric Oh

Sad thing is, with the lack of space, you'd think they'd wanna make the rides they DO have with the most amazing effects.

I have hope for the Mummy. If Universal can spend money advertising a "Now Wetter Than Ever" Jurassic Park, I'm sure in a few years to bring in crowds, they'll update the mummy again at least somehow.

Okay, say they're willing to invest some form of capital. What could they do with Mummy?

I'd start with removing the cardboard Mummy cutouts during the coaster portion. I don't know who thought that would be a good idea, nonetheless scary.

Interesting..... But now ComCast bought entirely NBCUniversal? That would mean they have full hands on the park.

Honestly, they just need to use the chasing projection effects from Space Mountain Ghost Galaxy and other projections in the coaster room to make it more immersive, and they can have projections of Mummy soldiers extending their hands at you or swishing down their swords at you in the spots of the current backlighted cutouts. It would improve the ride so much. And then I'd improve the animatronics in the first "zombie" room. I'd also remaster the Ihmotep Sand projection in the trophy room in 4k, and maybe get a fire license (far fetched, i know), and include SOME fire effects in the beginning. And maybe more smoke effects. Then I'd bring back the original concept of the ending but extremely updated with 4K projections on solid state drives, fire effects (if the fire permit passed) or projections of fire or more realistic effects.

Honestly, all this wouldn't cost more than $5million I'm guessing, and even if it's a bit more, renewed interest in the ride would make up for that. Universal needs to do what Disney does in California. Disneyland is smaller than the Magic Kingdom but packs in more higher quality rides! USH can do the same by making the rides it DOES have extremely immersive to make up for the lack of space.

Oh, and I'd do something about that bland queue...

the only way I could see them adding an extensive amount of changes to the ride is if they build a second story to the existing building. I mean Transformers is a two story building, I'm no engineering architect but I'm sure its doable. perhaps make the launch an inclined launch as it is in florida, have the first portion of the ride be in the bottom floor (all the special effects, rooms ect.) and the dark coaster portion in the second floor that way theres not a lot of things weighing down the second floor if its an issue with the building.

the only way I could see them adding an extensive amount of changes to the ride is if they build a second story to the existing building. I mean Transformers is a two story building, I'm no engineering architect but I'm sure its doable. perhaps make the launch an inclined launch as it is in florida, have the first portion of the ride be in the bottom floor (all the special effects, rooms ect.) and the dark coaster portion in the second floor that way theres not a lot of things weighing down the second floor if its an issue with the building.
First of all, welcome! It's great to see a new face.

...and I agree. Does anyone know why they didn't pull a Transformers back then and simply build the building higher? I'm thinking the former E.T. building came with some caveats that didn't make that possible, but it would have been nice to see.

Come to think of it, how much bigger is Florida's building than ours?