Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Reviews & Media - Hagrid's Magical Creature Motorbike Adventure

Okay where to start?

I have rode the attraction twice, my first time being on June 17th in which I waited 3 hours and the second time on June 30th which I waited 5 hours. I would normally not wait that long for a ride especially having ridden it before, but I did. I hope this stands as a testament to the awesomeness of this attraction. Both times I have exited the ride with the same amount of adrenaline and excitement, on a high of endorphins. Everyone exiting cheering. A friend nervous about riding due to motion sickness said it was worth the queasiness she experienced. On the second time round, international tourists I had chatted with before riding got off with the biggest smiles on their faces exclaiming how great the ride was. I apologize for what could be seen as cringey gushing, now time for a review.

The Queue:

To put an e-stop to the gushing, in my opinion, the queue to the ride is somewhat weak. However, like a coaster, it has peaks and valleys. Walking up to the ruins is gorgeous the detail of the building is fantastic as well as the the adorable details of Hagrids pumpkin patch. One of my favorite being the crudely drawn arrows pointing the way to class. The real showstopper is the gorgeous view of the coaster crashing through the ruins. The expanse and scale is only partially captured in pictures. This excitement continues into the preshow. The pre-show has a very convincing musion effect as well as many 4D elements (including Universal's signature squirt of water). The pre-show does a great job of hyping up riders and got a round of applause from the group. However the excitement comes to a crashing halt once it ends. The remainder of the queue is well themed, yet lacks identity. The ruins are unique new location unlike Hogwarts or Gringotts. Those queues play off their recognizability and go a step beyond by adding animatronics, moving paintings, etc. Hagrid's has no recognizability to play off of and does not take that extra step. A queue does not have to be based off a recognizable location to be entertaining an example being Kong's mix of theming, animatronics, and scare actors. The majority of Hagrid's interior queue time is spent waiting in well sculpted, but underwhelming caverns. We get well themed locations like Hagrid's workshop, yet it lacks recognizability and excitement to the point where I found entertainment in trying to figure out if the light coming from the windows was natural(the lighting is really good). However the final room does have an awesome effect simulating motorbikes and various creatures running amok on the boardwalk ceiling. This illusion is simple but actually quite convincing and entertaining, plus also gives tribute to Dragon's. I think the disappointment in the queue comes from the high expectations inherited from the other Potter rides.

The Ride:

This ride is spectacular and has already become my favorite. Minus the theming the coaster would stand well enough on its own. The coaster is smooth and fast with surprising force especially in the final "Dragon Fire" launch. The layout gives an appropriate flying-type feeling with twists and turns. However the excellent coaster is plussed by its theming creating a true home-run. The bikes themselves are very authentic and the sounds of acceleration really help add to the thrill. Twisting through the trees and rock work is amazing, as well as the brief views of the creatures. Its amazing that us fans knew all the tricks that this ride was going to pull, yet they still seemed to be a surprise. A great example would be the well hidden backwards spike. On my first ride I knew the spike was coming, yet didn't see it coming with how well it was hidden. The fact that the spike does not hold the bikes really adds to the effect of them stalling and falling backwards making the ride ever the more thrilling. I love the fact that Hagrid hosts the ride. He really puts a twist on the "you barely escape with your life" trope that is seen in many of Universal's rides. Hagrid accidentally puts you in nonstop danger throughout the whole ride, yet always remains so calm about it. You never feel truly in danger because it always feels as if Hagrid is in control of the situation(even when he isn't). In order to not sound like a total fan boy I do have some minor nitpicks. The audio on the ride is a little quiet and it is often hard to make out what is being said( or I could just have bad hearing.) The Hagrid animatronic is well sculpted but seems to have limited movement. Plus the obvious Skrewt on a stick which has been brought up many times.

Conclusion:

This ride is a smile machine that brings joy and adrenaline to its riders leaving one with a high as soon as they exit. While the high may be temporary the astonishment from the ride will make you instantly fall in love with the attraction and rush out to ride it again. This ride is worth the extended waits, even a second, or third, or fourth time around. If you have not rode this attraction do yourself a favor and get out to the park as soon as possible. Honestly no amount of words, videos, or photos can do this ride justice. I promise you the hype is real,as many others have found out regardless of high expectations or low expectations it will surpass them. While overall the technology of the ride may not be a game changer for the industry, that doesn't determine a rides worth, this is a new chapter and a game changer for Universal and all of Orlando.

I might elaborate here later, but all I’ll say right now is that this is hands down the best ride I’ve ridden in Orlando, possibly anywhere actually. Holy %$@# is that ride great. You couldn’t peel the smiles off mine or my dads faces. Funny that on Friday the 13th, after having such bad luck trying to ride this multiple times prior, did I get a ride that seemed to have all the effects in working order. Just wow!

Rode it on Thursday night. An incredible ride that hit all the right elements. Queue was ok. The one criticism other than 4 train ops is the loading platform moves so slow. It seemed like 2 minutes before we took off.
Xintk1e.jpg

Rode it on Thursday night. An incredible ride that hit all the right elements. Queue was ok. The one criticism other than 4 train ops is the loading platform moves so slow. It seemed like 2 minutes before we took off.
Xintk1e.jpg

I rode Thursday night too. Rain delayed it for an hour so the 150 min queue that would have taken 60 mins ended up taking 2 hrs.

I don’t think it was 4 trains though. Maybe 3 max. It took almost 2 full minutes for a train to go over the hill after Hagrid’s hut.

Just got off my first ride, and WOW. I’ve seen parts of POV rides and have heard the reviews, but those bikes MOVE. I’d gander that Hagride is a more intense experience than even Hulk - I felt the same amount of motion sickness coming off of here as I did on Dueling Dragons (rest in peace), which doesn’t bother me as much as Hulk.

But don’t get me wrong, this is most definitely a fun ride! I was grinning almost the entire time (besides coaxing myself while on the ride that the spike and drop wouldn’t be as bad as I thought - and they weren’t). I’m definitely dragging my parents on with me on our next trip.

I must be not far behind you! Just got off as well. I have chills, absolutely incredible. Way more intense than I expected it to be. I’ve only ridden it once but I’m happy saying this is my favorite ride here. The ride itself just spectacular and DELIVERS. Only thing that missed the mark a little bit for me was the queue but the line moved well so didn’t bother me much. Complete home fun for Universal. Wow, wow, WOW!!!! Now onto Forbidden Journey :)

I may be an overly emotional, empathic, flaming homosexual nerd, but I cried as soon as I got off this ride. I've never cried after a ride ever. Shows yes. Rides no. So needless to say this is probably the most perfect ride I have ever been on ever.
I was in near tears of joy myself. You are not alone!!!

I may be an overly emotional, empathic, flaming homosexual nerd, but I cried as soon as I got off this ride. I've never cried after a ride ever. Shows yes. Rides no. So needless to say this is probably the most perfect ride I have ever been on ever.
Tears start to well when I get off it too! It hits a lot of people emotionally. As well as it being a perfect ride. I think it’s Hagrid that really ties it together. Everyone loves Hagrid as a character and going on an adventure with him is heartwarming in a way. In the series he serves as our first glimpse into the Wizarding world and because of his importance it subconsciously comes up during and after the ride. Brings you back to a time of innocence similar to the beginning of Potters saga as well as our childhoods. Gosh I sound mushy lol...

Yes I love this ride a lot. I had 1 day ride and 3 .night time rides on Hagrid's. I was cheezy weezey getting of the ride, and I never smile, but with the 4 rides I have had the fun ride is on the motorcycle. I prefer rideing in the side car.
Also, my hubby does not like coasters but he really enjoyed it and he can't wait to ride it again, minus ATTACK OF THE
MAGICAL HONEY BEE CREATURES.

Tears start to well when I get off it too! It hits a lot of people emotionally. As well as it being a perfect ride. I think it’s Hagrid that really ties it together. Everyone loves Hagrid as a character and going on an adventure with him is heartwarming in a way. In the series he serves as our first glimpse into the Wizarding world and because of his importance it subconsciously comes up during and after the ride. Brings you back to a time of innocence similar to the beginning of Potters saga as well as our childhoods. Gosh I sound mushy lol...

Ugh thanks I’m tearing up again now. I love Hagrid so much!!!

Having been on this 5+ times since opening day, I can say that my love for this ride is only growing. Small improvements could be done to the animatronics but otherwise just amazing, and will be my "go to" ride whenever possible.

To add to what I said in my trip report, Hagrid is really something else.

The moment you hit that first launch, it's just pure joy from start to finish. The entire train is hollering, screaming and laughing the whole way through. An once you've hit the brakes, everyone is wanting to go back on it again.

This ride reaches a level of pure fun that's hard to replicate, heck for me it's hard to explain how it does it. It just does, and it doesn't matter where you're sitting. Be it the front, back, bike or sidecar, you're gonna' have a fun time wherever you sit!

For me, the fact the ride is just flat-out fun is why people have been raving about this ride, especially after waiting quite a bit for it. Hagrid is the type of ride that's super memorable and re-ridable as all get out. An while I do miss Dueling Dragons, there's not a single doubt that Hagrid is a truly, worthy replacement. Everyone involved in making this should be proud, this ride ain't just a winner. It's another amazing addition to IoA who already has a stunning Orlando roster with Spider-Man (One of the GOAT's) and FJ. On top of that, it's easily one of the best rides in UO, let alone Orlando.

Yup, this is one of the best rides in Orlando. A ride this fun has to be. Now some might try and say "But so and so's QUEUE is better!". To which I say this, a queue is just a queue. Yes, it's nice when the queue's are elaborately themed, but it's just a nice little extra. What matter's most is the ride you're queuing up for, and I don't know many rides which are just as sheer fun as Hagrid...and there's not a single queue out there which is as good as this ride.

I will say and truly mean it. My favorite ride and or coaster at IOA has always been HULK, but after my rides on Hagrid's, it is my new found favorite for coaster & ride. Plus if you have never had a night ride, make sure you can get one or a few in. Just a total different ride experience for me. It seemed very different from any other coaster ride at night hands down for me. I hope once they get all the kinks, little issues, and bees out of the way and get the capacity they need, then hands down it will be very popular and reviewed much more positive than the Hagrid Haters(we know who they are) are doing., I can't wait to enjoy Hagrid;s again here soon since I live nearby. Maybe ops have learned, and do what so ever to have this as an amazing coaster and ride, I can only imagine what UC has in store for Epic Universe. (Please be an amazing coaster in HTTYD area, if that is what it is:cheers:. ) The possibilities for another ride like Hagrid's in the new park, I believe would have other parks looking out on how to become more creative in their future coasters and or rides.