Scoob! (2020) | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

Scoob! (2020)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I can’t find anything saying what the budget was, but theaters are going to be super crowded so some things just have to go to VOD.

Maybe the movie wasn’t being received well and the decided a theatrical run wasn’t worth it? It’s too bad bc the voice cast is great.

That's what I was thinking. In this new 'world' I guess maybe you can relaunch a franchise from VOD, and then release another movie theatrically in the future if successful?

Not the thread, and probably too early to say, but I do wonder if there might be a Trolls 3 based on the popularity of the home release.

The Scooby franchise has plenty of precedent for the “straight to home viewing” model though. With their DVDs and Cartoon Network premieres, the market for this movie exists at home already. I think it’s also telling until after Trolls to make the move. Kids movies like this will ride at a premium on VOD right now. If anything, this could be a better way to launch a new Hanna-Barbara-verse.

I know I’m more inclined to watch the movie on VOD than I would be otherwise.

I can’t find anything saying what the budget was, but theaters are going to be super crowded so some things just have to go to VOD.

Maybe the movie wasn’t being received well and the decided a theatrical run wasn’t worth it? It’s too bad bc the voice cast is great.

Or they saw all the money Trolls 2 made and decided that it was worth the risk

Reactions: Tristan and Clive
That too, but there's really just no place for this type of movie in the release calender once theaters reopen. I expect Spongebob to go straight to VOD, for similar reasons.

Spongebob's got a new date, though. I think they stick it out.

As for Scoob!, guessing they anticipated lower-than-hoped-for preliminary numbers pre-pandemic, then internally found Trolls 2 did as well as Universal claimed.

So now that the film is out...woof. (Not in a good way)

To preface, growing up Scooby-Doo was certainly one of my favorite series. It's certainly had it's ups and downs through many variations, but all in all there's some huge nostalgia here.

This film is a unfortunate misfire, as it's far more a superhero film/introduction to a expanded universe than a Scooby-Doo film. With the exception of Scooby and Shaggy, the rest of the gang are barely in it. To be fair, something like that isn't out of the norm for this series, but when it was initially announced as Scooby Doo origin/regular S.D. film, yeah it's a slight. An like with many recent films that try to kick off a expanded universe, they fall into the same pitfalls as the others.

The story is both convoluted-yet-cliched which I'll admit it's a feat in itself. The animation is fine, the voice acting is hit or miss. I really didn't care for the celebs doing the Scooby Gang, though with a couple other characters I was fine with. I actually liked Ken Jeong as Dynomutt and Tracey Morgan as [REDACTED], they were probably my favorite characters in the whole thing.

Then there's the humor/writing...hooooooooooooooo BOY. There's a ton of topical references, and there's a good chunk of stuff that's already dated. I'm still stunned they make one reference to someone who hasn't been relevant in a while, and then they keep referencing them over and over like they're proud of it. There's also a ton of H.B. references as well, though for me it felt like a lot of pandering with the way everything was.

All in all, while I've personally seen way worse out there, the film is still a miss for me. They could've had something neat, but they slipped on the execution. Ultimately, I'd rather have gotten a straight-up Scooby Doo! film, but that's not what they made. If they still wanted to put in H.B. refs/characters, they could've done something along the lines of the Mystery Incorporated series which did do that, and pretty dang well I might add.

So now that the film is out...woof. (Not in a good way)

To preface, growing up Scooby-Doo was certainly one of my favorite series. It's certainly had it's ups and downs through many variations, but all in all there's some huge nostalgia here.

This film is a unfortunate misfire, as it's far more a superhero film/introduction to a expanded universe than a Scooby-Doo film. With the exception of Scooby and Shaggy, the rest of the gang are barely in it. To be fair, something like that isn't out of the norm for this series, but when it was initially announced as Scooby Doo origin/regular S.D. film, yeah it's a slight. An like with many recent films that try to kick off a expanded universe, they fall into the same pitfalls as the others.

The story is both convoluted-yet-cliched which I'll admit it's a feat in itself. The animation is fine, the voice acting is hit or miss. I really didn't care for the celebs doing the Scooby Gang, though with a couple other characters I was fine with. I actually liked Ken Jeong as Dynomutt and Tracey Morgan as [REDACTED], they were probably my favorite characters in the whole thing.

Then there's the humor/writing...hooooooooooooooo BOY. There's a ton of topical references, and there's a good chunk of stuff that's already dated. I'm still stunned they make one reference to someone who hasn't been relevant in a while, and then they keep referencing them over and over like they're proud of it. There's also a ton of H.B. references as well, though for me it felt like a lot of pandering with the way everything was.

All in all, while I've personally seen way worse out there, the film is still a miss for me. They could've had something neat, but they slipped on the execution. Ultimately, I'd rather have gotten a straight-up Scooby Doo! film, but that's not what they made. If they still wanted to put in H.B. refs/characters, they could've done something along the lines of the Mystery Incorporated series which did do that, and pretty dang well I might add.

Ouch, sounds like it's exactly what I was worried it would be. A focus on world-building at the cost of telling a story.

Same as @Tobias here in that I loved Scooby Doo while growing up.

But...I turned Scoob! off after the first 10 minutes. Even with a lot of free time on my hands I'm not wasting it on crap.

Maybe it's unfair of me to comment when I couldn't get past the start, but sounds like I was right to switch it off.

This is interesting of me to hear since I had heard generally positive things from the few reviews I saw. However, it does have a 55% on RT, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised. Not really something I would've watched anyway, though. Joker is newly added to HBO this weekend so that sounds like a better use of my time.

I watched this tonight and...yeah...

This is not a Scooby Doo film. It is indeed a superhero film with Scooby Doo characters in it. Gone is the idea of a group of kids investigating a spooky setting to solve a mystery.

Speaking of mystery, there is none in the entire film. The movie's culprit is identified almost as soon as he is introduced (and if you followed any of the pre-release material, it's obvious who it was). As for what his motivation is, the gang finds clues that allude to it, only for him to reveal it himself a minute later. You aren't left with any time to connect the dots yourself.

The tributes to past Hanna Barbara and older Scooby Doo shows are nice, along with nice shoutouts to the original VAs. But by trying to jumpstart this universe, it once again shows how WB misses what made Marvel successful. The MCU had an overarching story, but each movie also had its own genre. Ant-Man was a heist film, Spider-Man is the coming-of-age story, GotG is the space epic, Thor is fantasy. They all felt different and true to the source material.

And because Scoob! doesn't honor its roots the way it should, this universe is already on shaky footing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Clive
I watched this tonight and...yeah...

This is not a Scooby Doo film. It is indeed a superhero film with Scooby Doo characters in it. Gone is the idea of a group of kids investigating a spooky setting to solve a mystery.

Speaking of mystery, there is none in the entire film. The movie's culprit is identified almost as soon as he is introduced (and if you followed any of the pre-release material, it's obvious who it was). As for what his motivation is, the gang finds clues that allude to it, only for him to reveal it himself a minute later. You aren't left with any time to connect the dots yourself.

The tributes to past Hanna Barbara and older Scooby Doo shows are nice, along with nice shoutouts to the original VAs. But by trying to jumpstart this universe, it once again shows how WB misses what made Marvel successful. The MCU had an overarching story, but each movie also had its own genre. Ant-Man was a heist film, Spider-Man is the coming-of-age story, GotG is the space epic, Thor is fantasy. They all felt different and true to the source material.

And because Scoob! doesn't honor its roots the way it should, this universe is already on shaky footing.
Well, WB did the same thing with the DCEU so this is no surprise. Put the cart before the horse.