Scream 5 | Inside Universal Forums

Scream 5

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Nov 23, 2013
Seattle, WA!
Paramount and Spyglass is moving forward with a continuation of the Scream franchise, with Scream 5; as it has been given a date of January 14th, 2022.

Being helmed by Matt bettinelli-olpin and Tyler gillett, the film will continue the series with Courtney Cox, and David Arquette returning.

So excited for this. Slightly random release date but the first one really hit its peak Jan 1997 at the box office so should be fine.

I need to rewatch Scream 4...which I did enjoy wonder what this one will be able since the last one was about the next generation of kids dealing with a mask killer and most those characters either in jail or dead.

F yes

when I saw the thread getting and update and was expecting it to be news of a delay, but this is wonderful news

I mean hey if I get Covid and then recover well I’m definitely heading back to theatres and after NWH, don’t see why this wouldn’t be my 2nd pick! I think omicron will hurt it here but anyone going to the cinema in January is very, very likely seeing this as there is not much else.

Not to derail, but has anything replaced Morbius release date that could compete here?

I read the script back in 2019 and it was very good, so not shocked to hear about the positive reception. They know they've got a winner on their hands.

I absolutely adored it. Possibly my second favorite in the franchise, but obviously recency bias is a thing. I was incredibly emotional the entire way through and honestly really enjoyed the new cast. Looking forward to seeing it again on Saturday. Bring on the mixed reviews :lol:

Last edited:
Reactions: MrBlonde
I absolutely adored it. Possibly my second favorite in the franchise, but obviously recency bias is a thing. I was incredibly emotional the entire way through and honestly really enjoyed the new cast. Looking forward to seeing it again on Saturday. Bring on the mixed reviews :lol:
I saw it tonight. Theater was packed. It was the most crowded since Spider-man and this was a Thursday!

Movie was a lot of fun and if you like the first Scream, you'll like this one I think. Humor was abundant and the meta streak continues strongly.

TBH one of my favorite things about this franchise is how much Ghostface gets his ass handed to him during fights, and man that was back in spades.

I'm so glad to hear this film is fun...we need that

I hope it makes some money....we need some good news with all the movies moving away or going straight to apps

Mixed bag for me, afraid to say, though the pretty suspenseful setpieces, grisly violence, and good performances push it over the top to positive territory overall.

My biggest issues are that I think...
...it utterly fails as a whodunnit and its satire comes across as much more mean-spirited than in the previous movies.

What a love letter to the original films. I thought it was a lot of fun, scary, and, even though it wasn't made by Wes & Kevin, totally had the spirit of a Scream film. And man it went by fast for being 100 minutes+.

As far as what most have had qualms with...

I haven't been satisfied with a killer reveal since the first one. Whodunnit and their motive has been serviceable at best since Billy & Stu. I don't think it takes anything away from this franchise at this point.

Reactions: Tbad556
I liked it, didn't love it like I hoped but it was still good

I think Scream and Scream 4 are my favorites....I kinda hate how much they seemed to ignore scream 4 yet it should have left a bigger impact but whatever this is a kinda reboot so for what it is...its fun. I like some of the new teens but dont see how they would do a sequel....I dont feel like the two new leads would really hold a film without the old cast but maybe a sequel can prove me wrong

Reactions: chris.g
Had a script like a CW show, no one talks or acts like people. Instead it's written based on how a scriptwriter imagines teenagers talk. I get the idea that this movie is meta or whatever, it just feels like it despises itself for existing. Constantly dumping on the tropes of the Reboot-remake formula (which had already reached satire level on it's very first run-through with Jurassic World in 2015, 7 years ago.) while also making no real strides to change up the formula or subvert it at all. Always referring to older material or other horror properties, it felt like Ready Player One at points, which I also did not like whatsoever. Major plot points with major ramifications occur pretty much because "This trope needs to happen pretty soon" with no real other reasons and ignoring everything we know about the characters up to this point, but then they expect you to take it at all seriously and respect their decision afterward. The slashing is very beginner gory, there are only a few moments that really stick out as interesting to me which would be fine if it was meant as a "Baby's first Slasher" type flick, but it very clearly wants you to be a prior fan of horror with how much it references the genre.

The original Scream changed the landscape of horror, and the genre has been so thoroughly seeped with the influence of that original meta-commentary that they could've been given a shot to really invert some expectations and make a crazy inventive romp based on what horror is now in the 2020's, post-Scream franchise. Instead it felt like three decade old satire regurgitated without the heart or care of the original mostly for memberberries sake, instead deciding that throwing in lines referencing Hereditary or Jordan Peele and including buzzwords like "fandom" or "Requel" into the script counted on the same caliber as the original. Which in some of the final scenes the movie does a one-eighty on the self-hate thing and compares itself to repeatedly. When it comes to faithfully bringing back old franchises, No Way Home this is not.

Geez GA-MBIT, tell us how you really feel! Sorry, didn't enjoy this one at all. Just watch Scream 1 and The Force Awakens back to back and you'll get the same experience, just better. :toast:

Reactions: chris.g
Had a script like a CW show, no one talks or acts like people. Instead it's written based on how a scriptwriter imagines teenagers talk. I get the idea that this movie is meta or whatever, it just feels like it despises itself for existing. Constantly dumping on the tropes of the Reboot-remake formula (which had already reached satire level on it's very first run-through with Jurassic World in 2015, 7 years ago.) while also making no real strides to change up the formula or subvert it at all. Always referring to older material or other horror properties, it felt like Ready Player One at points, which I also did not like whatsoever. Major plot points with major ramifications occur pretty much because "This trope needs to happen pretty soon" with no real other reasons and ignoring everything we know about the characters up to this point, but then they expect you to take it at all seriously and respect their decision afterward. The slashing is very beginner gory, there are only a few moments that really stick out as interesting to me which would be fine if it was meant as a "Baby's first Slasher" type flick, but it very clearly wants you to be a prior fan of horror with how much it references the genre.

The original Scream changed the landscape of horror, and the genre has been so thoroughly seeped with the influence of that original meta-commentary that they could've been given a shot to really invert some expectations and make a crazy inventive romp based on what horror is now in the 2020's, post-Scream franchise. Instead it felt like three decade old satire regurgitated without the heart or care of the original mostly for memberberries sake, instead deciding that throwing in lines referencing Hereditary or Jordan Peele and including buzzwords like "fandom" or "Requel" into the script counted on the same caliber as the original. Which in some of the final scenes the movie does a one-eighty on the self-hate thing and compares itself to repeatedly. When it comes to faithfully bringing back old franchises, No Way Home this is not.

Geez GA-MBIT, tell us how you really feel! Sorry, didn't enjoy this one at all. Just watch Scream 1 and The Force Awakens back to back and you'll get the same experience, just better. :toast:

I'm right there with ya on this one. I was so hyped to see this after the general consensus being so positive and great that I figured they had to have hit. a bullseye... instead I got black and brown teens talking like they went to the Tommy Wiseau school of acting with dialogue coming out of obvious caucasian millennial scriptwriters. I thought the movie just lost its flavor with how meta it was that I felt its self references at the big reveal were just eye roll worthy. The beauty of the previous Scream films were that they assumed the audience was smart enough to understand what tropes these films reference without necessarily stating they are bad decisions, ironic or otherwise. Here, it hand holds the audience and just makes fun of them for assuming they won't "get" it or the act it has to constantly insist to its audience that what its doing is different or smart. Additionally the purposeful comedy just took away from any seriousness any suspenseful moments were supposed to have. It was literally mid.

That said the "daytime" scene was absolutely great as was the hospital scene which in my opinion was one of the scariest moments I've ever seen from Ghostface on film. The kills were fun. The legacy characters felt like real actors which almost felt weird in this movie. It's a really weird mix.

2.5/5

What a massive disappointment. Bad writing. Bad acting. Mediocre directing. It’s all weepy monologues and exposition dumps.

I feel like it had a lot of the necessary components to work, but the writers felt too proud of the story they were telling so they spell everything out.