Scream-n-Stream 2022 | Inside Universal Forums

Scream-n-Stream 2022

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

SeventyOne

Platinum Member
Jul 1, 2010
Orlando
{Full disclosure, I was hosted last night, and the owner is at the very least a friendly acquaintance, tho anyone who has read my posts knows I'm not great at holding back my opinions.)

After being created out of necessity in pandemic-stricken 2020, Scream-n-Stream is back with a new theme and a new location. It's now located behind Florida Mall, with a lobby in the old M&Ms store, a spot much more accessible to Mouse Town than Oviedo or middle-of-nowhere Kissimmee. The drive-through section felt a bit larger, turns were certainly easier. And when you're done, restaurants around there, or I-Drive just a 10-minute drive away.

This year is themed to a drive-through theater. Each "lane" of the vehicle switchback is themed to a different fictional horror movie, most inspired by events past. The biggest game-changer this year is a a soundtrack you can play through your car's Bluetooth. You'll drive thru the screen to "Let's all go to the lobby....", then each lane has its own track to give you a background loop to the "movie" you're watching out of your radio. It elevates the event from past years.

The actors were incredible, some of the most enthusiastic I've seen at any Halloween event. May have helped that this was a delayed opening night, but they were great, just enjoyed scaring. Make-up and costumes are what you'd expect from a local haunt, not a Hollywood movie; to be honest, sets may have been closer to a high school play. But to me that just adds to the garage band vibe. Nice variety of "monsters" given there are five different "movies." The last ones are a fan-favorite I don't recall at the event before. That said, I would have liked to have seen maybe two more actors per lane. I forgot to time exactly, but probably a 20-minute event from entrance to exit, give or take.

As I mentioned, check-on is in the old M&Ms store. Bare bones decor, but there are professional-looking coming attractions posters for the movies you'll see at the event, as well as wandering scare-actors and a weird painting station. There will also be fortune tellers -- I missed them last night, but I can vouch at least one of the three is incredible. (She's actually a good friend -- Orlando is a big city made up of small towns.) I'd love to see even more, but a very positive development for an event only in its third year. Despite a large crowd--Friday tickets rolled into Saturday--the check-in line moved quickly and without incident. Could've used a bit more signage from the lobby to the drive-through entrance, but we did find it.

All in all, a fun Halloween night event if you can get a small crowd. Don't bother doing this alone, and while a couple could, you're better off with like four people in your car. This would be a great warm-up for kids maybe not old enough for a real haunt, as well -- having watched two 11 y.o.s melt down at HHN this year, I can't help but think they'd have done better in the safety of their own car where they could put the windows up. And check your expectations -- if you expect the equivalent of a Motley Crue stadium concert with pyro and Tommy Lee playing drums upside down, go to HHN. But if you like the thought of a stripped down garage band in that dive bar down the street, this Halloween event is for you.

Last edited:
But if you like the thought of a stripped down garage band in that dive bar down the street, this Halloween event is for you.

Funny, someone compared it to wrestling to me.

HHN is WWE. HoS is AEW. Sir Henry's/Pettrified Forest is the Independent scene...

"This was a High School production. Backyard wrestling stuff."

The basic gist I got was this year was a step backward.

Reactions: SeventyOne

HHN is WWE. HoS is AEW. Sir Henry's/Pettrified Forest is the Independent scene...

I've always compared HHN to Broadway, HOS to Off-Broadway, and everything else to Semi-professional Theater just because of the quality differences in the production level. Just because you see a show on Broadway doesn't necessarily mean it's going to be better than if you paid for a cheap ticket to see a fun new show off-broadway. I've also seen a lot of local semi-professional versions of In The Heights and some other shows that I enjoyed more than the touring version because the cast brought more energy even while the overall production quality might not be as polished.

The WWE comparison may be better, this is just how i've always looked at it :lol:

Everything I've heard is that this year they were just stretched thinner: a taller order with the larger trail and big M&M store to fill, heard something about them losing a deal of the scenic/production talent they relied on previously, and then Ian causing a decent amount of sets to need to be rebuilt.

Great analogy.

Everything I've heard is that this year they were just stretched thinner: a taller order with the larger trail and big M&M store to fill, heard something about them losing a deal of the scenic/production talent they relied on previously, and then Ian causing a decent amount of sets to need to be rebuilt.

The sets would be the only step back I saw, which may be Ian, may be something else. That said the 2020 and 2021 sets never truly wowed me, it's always been an actor-driven event. They did drop the shooting aspect of 2021, but that didn't have any real payoff both times I went.

I will say they apparently have gone to a per person price, rather than per car. Which surprised me because Saturday night they were still selling t-shirts with the old "pay by the car" slogan. So last minute changes all around apparently.

Reactions: Brian G.
I went the first year, and it had some big ops issues I couldn't ignore. I think those are inherently a problem with Drive-Thru haunts, but it's not a product I like, coupled with some business practices that have soured me.

I'm glad to see new people entering the scene and seeing some success regardless though.

Reactions: Brian G.