SeaWorld Ends Orca Breeding | Page 5 | Inside Universal Forums

SeaWorld Ends Orca Breeding

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
That's because you and your 600 Facebook friends have united in a common goal of defending Seaworld, and this announcement feels like a defeat and that you have lost your battle. I think once the dust settles and you continue to visit Seaworld you will see that it's the same place you love, just evolving into something it possibly has to to survive.

Agreed. I go there all the time. And I was saddened by this news, but I get it and understand it. I will still be going. First off we are not losing Orca shows for 2 more years. Secondly, we are just losing Orca shows. The others will still be there. Also, I don't ever see one lonely Orca in the water. I think they will end up rescuing Orcas from other places that close.

Reactions: UAN17
I thought the same thing. I thought the old man comment would get me blocked for sure :lol:
Well, he can't get upset when you speak the pure unadulterated truth. :lol: But what's important is that Teebin may be an old man (he's actually younger than me), but he's our old man!

Reactions: IzzyB
I would second sea world is not dying. People act like everyone going to orlando is made of money. Sea World in its current form is cheaper than Disney and Universal while most of their product is very different from either. They will have enough people for these two factors to stay in business. As Disney and universal build new large attractions and raise prices to ridiculous levels, they only create a bigger space for sea world to sit in. Sea world will never be able to compete with the other two parks, and spending the money to try would be unwise.

Mods, props for stepping in and threatening to shut this down. The moderation is what keeps this place special.

I think the ticket prices are an excellent point. If Disney and Universal keep raising prices, SeaWorld could become the "budget" theme park.

That being said, I think most people would cancel their Disney vacation because they couldn't afford it, rather than turn it into a SeaWorld vacation. People want Disney, not the runner-up.

I know people have said that they could let the Orcas do their thing and allow them to reproduce naturally, but, I thought that they kept the Males and Females apart due to size differences?

Also, and I'm no Marine Biologist, if they kept interbreeding albeit by themselves, that is going to cause health issues in the bloodline at some point surely?

The SeaWorld artificial breeding helped them try to negate that issue by breeding them Orcas across the parks didn't it?

Nice article. More of a theme park. I like that part of the story....Bottom line. Get the value of Sea World up. Sell Sea World. The present Orca's are still there for a really long time, so it doesn't make much difference. New policy is cheaper than Blue seas program. A new owner, if it's sold, can always change policy and do what they want to. Looking in depth here, not much really happened, and Sea World got the kind of publicity they wanted. An experienced politician in the spin room would be proud.

Oh, and there's another reason for SeaWorld to evolve beyond the whale shows — a reason you don't hear as much about: They're boring.

At least a lot more boring than they used to be.

If you haven't seen one in a few years, you may have memories of trainers riding on whales and being blasted into the air. Those days are long gone.

After Tilikum drowned trainer Dawn Brancheau, the in-water interaction ended. Nowadays, it's 25 minutes of whales splashing in the tank while trainers stand on dry land, dancing in wetsuits and throwing out dead fish.

From the Orlando Sentinel article. Brutal, but so true. :lol:

This is a really good article and it brings up some really good points.

Heh, I said they were boring earlier in this thread before the Sentinel said it. Heck, I was bored by it way back in the mid 1970's. :lol:

The only show I still really like is the Christmas one. That one is just awesome because of the singers, the sax at the beginning, etc. The music is really cool and the whales jumping are a bonus. I hope that when this show ends, they do a Christmas dolphin show. I would hate to lose that sax player, he is awesome!

Reactions: Mad Dog
A number of investment firms upgraded Sea World's stock to a "buy" status today. So it looks like the investment community likes this move..... For whatever that's worth.

Reactions: IzzyB
A number of investment firms upgraded Sea World's stock to a "buy" status today. So it looks like the investment community likes this move..... For whatever that's worth.

I seen that too and the stock has gone up nearly $5 in two days now. All fine and dandy and Manby is making his big bucks now. But if and when the numbers don't much and he announces at the next share holder meeting pass member numbers fell or something about the negative feedback from fans that could hurt.

The investors are looking and hoping that this means SeaWorld's activist troubles are in the past. They will not be because 40 - 50 more years of orcas at SeaWorld is just 40 - 50 more years of getting them out of the parks and to sea pens because that's what they really want. Also the next step is the rest of the animals.

Its very early so we have a lot of wait and see whats going to happen. While I don't agree with it, that doesn't mean everyone is against it. My facebook is full of passionate fans so I cant say they speak for everyone. The stories I am reading from them are so sad

I seen that too and the stock has gone up nearly $5 in two days now. All fine and dandy and Manby is making his big bucks now. But if and when the numbers don't much and he announces at the next share holder meeting pass member numbers fell or something about the negative feedback from fans that could hurt.

The investors are looking and hoping that this means SeaWorld's activist troubles are in the past. They will not be because 40 - 50 more years of orcas at SeaWorld is just 40 - 50 more years of getting them out of the parks and to sea pens because that's what they really want. Also the next step is the rest of the animals.

Its very early so we have a lot of wait and see whats going to happen. While I don't agree with it, that doesn't mean everyone is against it. My facebook is full of passionate fans so I cant say they speak for everyone. The stories I am reading from them are so sad
No doubt. I was just throwing that info out there for what it's worth. Investment calls change. Heck, if attendance drops, they'll change that to a "hold' or "sell" as quick as they changed this to a "buy" rating.

Reactions: SeaWorldRocks
I think they'll experience a spike in attendance now. With some of the public who were convinced by PETA and Blackfish now feeling better about coming to SeaWorld, and the "Classic" fans coming for one last time to watch the orca shows, coupled with new capital improvements, it should be a winning ticket.

Reactions: Mad Dog and IzzyB
I think they'll experience a spike in attendance now. With some of the public who were convinced by PETA and Blackfish now feeling better about coming to SeaWorld, and the "Classic" fans coming for one last time to watch the orca shows, coupled with new capital improvements, it should be a winning ticket.
Plus, the new coaster will bring in a lot of locals this year.