Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

SeaWorld San Diego

Next time you visit the shark encounter look up and see all the cracking in the ceiling and the paint. It is long overdue. Its sad at all the outdated stuff honestly. Hasn't changed since the early 90s a lot of these exhibits.
Would I like a re paint sure? But do I want a clean boring looking Tank situation for the sharks? No thanks

Turtles reek just got redone and they took out theming and props....so I just don't want Sea World touching the Shark exhibit unless it's a real improvement and not just making it boring modern clean look like they are doing right now

Would I like a re paint sure? But do I want a clean boring looking Tank situation for the sharks? No thanks

Turtles reek just got redone and they took out theming and props....so I just don't want Sea World touching the Shark exhibit unless it's a real improvement and not just making it boring modern clean look like they are doing right now
I never got to see Turtle Reef before the updates, do you have any photos/videos?

I remember awhile back there was a master plan power point presentation to redo the Shark Encounter. Its very outdated. Maybe this new coaster will coincide with the eventual revamp. I have been going since the early 90s and its still the same and could use a touch up. Maybe the west coast version of Mako is on the horizon? Or hammerhead themed if it is in fact the wing design. Always excited to see more thrills at my home park.
If I had to guess, the shark and penguin encounters haven't been touched since at least the 90's, maybe earlier. I think the shark encounter is long overdue for an upgrade, but I'd want to see it upgraded, i.e. more like the aquariums at SeaWorld Abu Dhabi, not downgraded to some sterile airport-like aesthetic. Whether that means just fixing the fake sky ceiling (maybe replace it with a projector screen like the bug exhibit at the San Diego Zoo?) and dusting off the fake plants, or doing an actual expansion and thematic upgrade, the end result should be more immersive, not less, to meet the standards being set by other parks and aquariums--including other SeaWorld parks.

I also still really think the penguin exhibit ought to be moved next to Emperor, since it 1) needs to be updated anyway, 2) belongs next to the penguin ride, not the Arctic ride, 3) would be a chance to properly build out Emperor and the area around it, and 4) would free up a lot of space for something else if the gift shop building were removed too, even more if the event space next to that were relocated. This seems somewhat relevant right now because the park appears to be shifting things around, presumably to make space for new additions. If you'll excuse this very basic illustration, it seems like an obvious move would be to turn the pathway and plaza between JTA and Emperor (white) into an icy-themed mini land and build a new penguin habitat either behind the ride (light blue) or integrated with the queue like Manta (dark blue).

Screenshot (111)1.jpg

I never got to see Turtle Reef before the updates, do you have any photos/videos?

If I had to guess, the shark and penguin encounters haven't been touched since at least the 90's, maybe earlier. I think the shark encounter is long overdue for an upgrade, but I'd want to see it upgraded, i.e. more like the aquariums at SeaWorld Abu Dhabi, not downgraded to some sterile airport-like aesthetic. Whether that means just fixing the fake sky ceiling (maybe replace it with a projector screen like the bug exhibit at the San Diego Zoo?) and dusting off the fake plants, or doing an actual expansion and thematic upgrade, the end result should be more immersive, not less, to meet the standards being set by other parks and aquariums--including other SeaWorld parks.

I also still really think the penguin exhibit ought to be moved next to Emperor, since it 1) needs to be updated anyway, 2) belongs next to the penguin ride, not the Arctic ride, 3) would be a chance to properly build out Emperor and the area around it, and 4) would free up a lot of space for something else if the gift shop building were removed too, even more if the event space next to that were relocated. This seems somewhat relevant right now because the park appears to be shifting things around, presumably to make space for new additions. If you'll excuse this very basic illustration, it seems like an obvious move would be to turn the pathway and plaza between JTA and Emperor (white) into an icy-themed mini land and build a new penguin habitat either behind the ride (light blue) or integrated with the queue like Manta (dark blue).

View attachment 20465
I agree but.....I'm not seeing that from Sea World right now...the new front of the park should tell you everything you need to know about what they want to do to the park...it will just lose character and to risk it to me is something I wont push for on either of those

People are pointing out Sea World is moving away from animals which also gives them excuses to not have to theme as much and just do...whatever and call it a day. I hope I'm wrong and the Jelly fish exhibit is amazing but....have a feeling it wont live up to much more then just a clean modern themed area vs Dhabi which just is amazing and no idea why we cant get those kinda exhibits in the states

I agree but.....I'm not seeing that from Sea World right now...the new front of the park should tell you everything you need to know about what they want to do to the park...it will just lose character and to risk it to me is something I wont push for on either of those

People are pointing out Sea World is moving away from animals which also gives them excuses to not have to theme as much and just do...whatever and call it a day. I hope I'm wrong and the Jelly fish exhibit is amazing but....have a feeling it wont live up to much more then just a clean modern themed area vs Dhabi which just is amazing and no idea why we cant get those kinda exhibits in the states
I guess we'll get a better idea of where this park is at when the jellyfish exhibit and the new Bayside Market restaurant open. The new entrance definitely doesn't make me optimistic, but this park has been a mixed bag recently. Arctic Rescue was an improvement over Emperor thematically, Rescue Jr. was an improvement over Sesame Street, and two of the seasonal events last year were an improvement over the year prior.

I guess we'll get a better idea of where this park is at when the jellyfish exhibit and the new Bayside Market restaurant open. The new entrance definitely doesn't make me optimistic, but this park has been a mixed bag recently. Arctic Rescue was an improvement over Emperor thematically, Rescue Jr. was an improvement over Sesame Street, and two of the seasonal events last year were an improvement over the year prior.
Ummmm which ones?

Christmas was fine but when I went they didn't have fireworks which...they did fix but yeah it was on par with years before not better thats for sure

Halloween felt the same most reviews were like more of the same and the summer stuff was a mixed bag, the good more concerts the bad...wayyyyy less little summer time entertainment

Rescue Jr.....to each his own the new stuff is fine but.....you had an IP people know and took it away for generic stuff....I don't get it. You lost the only characters you had people liked for nothing so you can try to force people into going to Sesame Street place, I really don't understand why Sesame Street place even is there it's just too small for anyone to really go out of their way to see....

I hope this year they do well but....kinda have a feeling what they are trying isn't working that well to get more people in, really feels like a place for super locals to go fro cheap like Six Flags

The event center is prime real estate no doubt about it. I could see this new coaster fitting right in to the parking lot area adjacent to the entrance. Specifically the first handicap spots directly behind Shamu stadium. I feel they could accommodate a nice size coaster that could easily stretch over the entrance from there. It seems to be a area that would disturb the least.

In regards to the area between Emperor and Arctic Rescue I could see a thrilling flat ride. A screaming swing would do this place wonders.

You lost the only characters you had
To be fair, SeaWorld doesn't need the Sesame Street characters. The park has its own line-up of original existing & iconic fuzzy characters that need to get more attention.

also I agree that the Penguin Encounter should've been relocated to be paired with Emperor. It's bad enough they didn't theme the coaster, or even add water. Hell, throw in a rocky snow-covered tunnel or two. It's just so "naked".

Arctic Rescue is another misleading hyped up coaster that failed to get proper scenic details. They promoted it as if it'd be themed, but then didn't deliver. I LOVE the Wild Arctic helicopter prop, but that's not enough.

Shark Encounter definitely should get a proper renovation... does it need a ride tie-in? No. But if they can give us something creative as an added bonus, do it.

As for this new entrance project. The wave entrance for the 50th was iconic, just like the other 2 parks have their own unique entrances. Whoever is in charge of these new additions/changes needs help to fully bring the vision to life. I can't even imagine the direction they're trying to go with this new project.

To be fair, SeaWorld doesn't need the Sesame Street characters. The park has its own line-up of original existing & iconic fuzzy characters that need to get more attention.

also I agree that the Penguin Encounter should've been relocated to be paired with Emperor. It's bad enough they didn't theme the coaster, or even add water. Hell, throw in a rocky snow-covered tunnel or two. It's just so "naked".

Arctic Rescue is another misleading hyped up coaster that failed to get proper scenic details. They promoted it as if it'd be themed, but then didn't deliver. I LOVE the Wild Arctic helicopter prop, but that's not enough.

Shark Encounter definitely should get a proper renovation... does it need a ride tie-in? No. But if they can give us something creative as an added bonus, do it.

As for this new entrance project. The wave entrance for the 50th was iconic, just like the other 2 parks have their own unique entrances. Whoever is in charge of these new additions/changes needs help to fully bring the vision to life. I can't even imagine the direction they're trying to go with this new project.
I mean......attendance begs to differ

I love Sea World but they are begging for people to come....APs on on sale almost monthly. The 90 Animal characters just just on a deep discount and seems like they are trying to revive these characters but kids dont see to care

I don't get why you would own the Sesame Street and put them 30 mins outside of SD when you have a central location and have room to make a full land but....then retheme it to be generic.
I've been to Sesame Street Place....in no way does it need to be its own park. You can fit most of it in Sea World....but they just have this other park that had....maybe I mean maybe 1000 guests on the weekday day I went around Christmas

You're kind of acting like Sea World build Sesame Place from the ground up, and purposely chose that location. As I understand it, it was already an existing water park that Sea World choose to rebrand. So they didn't really choose to put it 30 minutes outside of SD.

Sea World San Diego just needs to continue the trend of getting reliable manufactured additions. They got burned so hard on the Submarine ride as well as Tidal Twister. I am sure Emperor was refreshing to management for offering a reliable thrill ride for once. I could easily see them going with B & M again on there next project.

I know there was a rumor of a screaming swing in the submarine voyage area awhile back . Is that where the new jelly fish exhibit is supposed to go? A Screaming swing in the nautilus pavilion area that swings over the water would be insane. Would also fill the need of thrill plus allow for capital on upgrading the parks exhibits. I am excited to see what they do next. It starts at the front entrance now... lol

You're kind of acting like Sea World build Sesame Place from the ground up, and purposely chose that location. As I understand it, it was already an existing water park that Sea World choose to rebrand. So they didn't really choose to put it 30 minutes outside of SD.
Sea World....choose to rebrand it, right?

As someone who has gone to Sea World for.....just years since I was a kid and the last couple of years have seen it reallllllly just not that busy most of the time and feel like having those characters did help....they have not been at the park in a little over a year now...

I'll be going to both parks this weekend but if SSP only ha a few 100 people in it when I go again, I'm just bemused why that place is open just seems to not be drawing people because its location (also while SS is cute....no dark ride/big show to draw people out of the normal SD area)

At least from when I've gone recently the same flat rides that has been at sea world for years had half the lines they used to when it was themed to Sesame Street along with now having basically zero merch from those characters when I saw people buying that while the 90 characters (which I love) just seem to not get much love from kids and most kids seem to go for the generic animals stuffs over the cartoon characters
Sea World San Diego just needs to continue the trend of getting reliable manufactured additions. They got burned so hard on the Submarine ride as well as Tidal Twister. I am sure Emperor was refreshing to management for offering a reliable thrill ride for once. I could easily see them going with B & M again on there next project.

I know there was a rumor of a screaming swing in the submarine voyage area awhile back . Is that where the new jelly fish exhibit is supposed to go? A Screaming swing in the nautilus pavilion area that swings over the water would be insane. Would also fill the need of thrill plus allow for capital on upgrading the parks exhibits. I am excited to see what they do next. It starts at the front entrance now... lol
No idea how much room is near the Bayside theater/Sea Stars exhibit after they move the spinning ride (riptide rescue) but if they could put a Swinging ship next to the bay there....that would be a really fun addition

Ummmm which ones?

Christmas was fine but when I went they didn't have fireworks which...they did fix but yeah it was on par with years before not better thats for sure

Halloween felt the same most reviews were like more of the same and the summer stuff was a mixed bag, the good more concerts the bad...wayyyyy less little summer time entertainment

Rescue Jr.....to each his own the new stuff is fine but.....you had an IP people know and took it away for generic stuff....I don't get it. You lost the only characters you had people liked for nothing so you can try to force people into going to Sesame Street place, I really don't understand why Sesame Street place even is there it's just too small for anyone to really go out of their way to see....

I hope this year they do well but....kinda have a feeling what they are trying isn't working that well to get more people in, really feels like a place for super locals to go fro cheap like Six Flags
The Seven Seas and Summer events last year were significantly improved over 2022 imo. They both had a lot of entertainment throughout the park--the various cultural performances, Believe-based firework show, a brand new parade with original soundtrack, and pirate stunt show being a few examples--and I actually thought they were both better executed than the Orlando counterpart. I agree the events after that were surprisingly weak by comparison, hence my "mixed bag" comment.

With Rescue Jr I'd argue the theming actually improved. Sure Sesame Street is a recognizable brand, but this Bay of Play kids' area looked pitiful compared to any of the other SS lands in the chain. The park has done a pretty good job of reintroducing the SeaWorld characters and having them do all the same things (if not more) that the Sesame Street characters did before. I do agree Sesame Place is a bit out of the way and really needs some bigger attractions (like a dark ride and/or bigger shows) to justify the drive and the ticket price, but luckily it seems to have a lot of room to expand and hopefully they will.

Sea World Mardi Gras 2024

The good
1) Lots of live entertainment, I saw at least 2 hours of live performers from Fire Dancing, to Jazz and juggling
2) Food lines were low for the Mardi Gras food when I went...got the AP pass only used 10 but still not a bad value. They ran out of Gumbo....no idea how because not many people when i went but it was out before sunset. Cornbread was good, Beignets were.......ok. Like Disneyland makes them much better and even then aren't as amazing as the ones from New Orleans.
Jambalaya was good
3) pretty short lines for most rides because of low crowds

The bad
1) even with low crowds the temp entrance doesn't have enough cast to check people in quickly
2) Pizza restaurant still isn't open after the fire
3) Most if not all coasters didn't open on time, Empire, Arctic Rescue and manta didn't open for 30 mins + after opening time.

Lots of construction going on at Sea World right now hopefully by summer time everything is back to normal, Dolphin Pointy is adding shade. Jelly Fish is coming later this year, the Star fish area is still all closed off and will be I assume until after the ride moves over to that area.

It was a super fun trip, wish they had at least a a plasterer light show at night but what can you do

As for Sesame Street place, it was a ghost town it was rare to see a ride fully fill out and they didn't add meet and greet times until the day of......just kinda insane to not have the times for the day u dated until when you open. I would loveeeeee to see how this park makes money, no way the summer makes enough to push this park through the other 6-8 months of the year.

Sea World Mardi Gras 2024

The good
1) Lots of live entertainment, I saw at least 2 hours of live performers from Fire Dancing, to Jazz and juggling
2) Food lines were low for the Mardi Gras food when I went...got the AP pass only used 10 but still not a bad value. They ran out of Gumbo....no idea how because not many people when i went but it was out before sunset. Cornbread was good, Beignets were.......ok. Like Disneyland makes them much better and even then aren't as amazing as the ones from New Orleans.
Jambalaya was good
3) pretty short lines for most rides because of low crowds

The bad
1) even with low crowds the temp entrance doesn't have enough cast to check people in quickly
2) Pizza restaurant still isn't open after the fire
3) Most if not all coasters didn't open on time, Empire, Arctic Rescue and manta didn't open for 30 mins + after opening time.

Lots of construction going on at Sea World right now hopefully by summer time everything is back to normal, Dolphin Pointy is adding shade. Jelly Fish is coming later this year, the Star fish area is still all closed off and will be I assume until after the ride moves over to that area.

It was a super fun trip, wish they had at least a a plasterer light show at night but what can you do

As for Sesame Street place, it was a ghost town it was rare to see a ride fully fill out and they didn't add meet and greet times until the day of......just kinda insane to not have the times for the day u dated until when you open. I would loveeeeee to see how this park makes money, no way the summer makes enough to push this park through the other 6-8 months of the year.
Nice to hear there's a lot of entertainment for this event. I'll have to check it out before it ends.
For Sesame Place, I've only been there once and it was mid-October. Only two of the water slides were open that time of year but the park was actually still very busy and the dry rides and shows all had lines/crowds all the way up to closing time. So I guess they must be doing something right? They still 100% need that dark ride though, if they plan to keep charging Legoland prices for what is essentially a Knotts Soak City water park with kiddie rides sprinkled into it.

Last edited:
Nice to hear there's a lot of entertainment for this event. I'll have to check it out before it ends.
For Sesame Place, I've only been there once and it was mid-October. Only two of the water slides were open that time of year but the park was actually still very busy and the dry rides and shows all had lines/crowds all the way up to closing time. So I guess they must be doing something right? They still 100% need that dark ride though, if they plan to keep charging Legoland prices for what is essentially a Knotts Soak City water park with kiddie rides sprinkled into it.
I’ll Try to go during the busy season because the last two times I’ve gone

I’d be surprised if they hit over 1K visitors, on this last visit they didn’t even have a parking cast member, so anyone could just park for free

Maybe in the summer it’s a mad house but the times we went I’d just love to see how the books match up with costs