Secret Life of Pets: Off the Leash - General Discussion | Page 13 | Inside Universal Forums

Secret Life of Pets: Off the Leash - General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
A shame that a classic style dark ride (re: moving slowly through scenes with many different AAs and so much going on to look at) gets bad GSATs, but that probably provides a hint as to why they don't get made anymore. :(

A shame that a classic style dark ride (re: moving slowly through scenes with many different AAs and so much going on to look at) gets bad GSATs, but that probably provides a hint as to why they don't get made anymore. :(
The ride normally has a 60 min wait and the Q is closed many days because it gets so busy

Are you saying it doesn't get good markets from people when asked on surveys?

Yeah, idk why they didn’t make the RVs 2x2. You’ll have less RVs but have higher capacity.

The ride gets low GSATs due to a combination of 1) the restrictive restraints, leading to disappointment and 2) the glacial pace of the line (which often exceeds 45 minutes even after you make guests jump through the hoop of getting a virtual queue time), leading to frustration. The ride would have to be on the scale of Rise of the Resistance to overcome these hurdles.

I'm not saying it was the right call, but they went with fewer RVs to facilitate the "adoption" scenes near the end of the ride. If there were twice the number of RVs, the vehicles would be too close together, and the individual attention from the family would be unachievable. There isn't enough space in that area of the show building to add anything beyond the already present screens - plus, fewer RVS = less cash upfront - leading to the current scenario.

The ride gets low GSATs due to a combination of 1) the restrictive restraints, leading to disappointment and 2) the glacial pace of the line (which often exceeds 45 minutes even after you make guests jump through the hoop of getting a virtual queue time), leading to frustration. The ride would have to be on the scale of Rise of the Resistance to overcome these hurdles.
Is Universal cognizant of these unique circumstances, or are they using the scores as an excuse to write-off this genre of ride?

Is Universal cognizant of these unique circumstances, or are they using the scores as an excuse to write-off this genre of ride?
FWIW Pokemon In USJ is using Sansei's tracked ride system per Tomfoolery which will be higher capacity than the omnimover setup of Pets. Universal is not writing off this genre of ride, far from it, but they will use either a different type of ride system or they will redesign the omnimover setup to be higher capacity.

C’mon dude…
I don't see how that's not a fair question! Or you're reading way more into how I phrased it than I intended.

People suggest/intimate all the time that "the GP don't like classic-esque dark rides, that's why Universal hardly builds any." I'm curious if that's what the data, internally, actually suggests, or if the unique design situation of SLOP's ride vehicles is to blame for that ride's apparent underperformance.

FWIW Pokemon In USJ is using Sansei's tracked ride system per Tomfoolery which will be higher capacity than the omnimover setup of Pets. Universal is not writing off this genre of ride, far from it, but they will use either a different type of ride system or they will redesign the omnimover setup to be higher capacity.

I'm completely out of the loop on what's happening with Pokemon at USJ, but I was under the impression that was just going to be an overlay of Spider-Man.

I don't see how that's not a fair question! Or you're reading way more into how I phrased it than I intended.
Is there any reason to believe Universal has written off creating these type of attractions? I think it’s clear they’ve had a preference for screen-based attractions, but I prefer hamburgers to hot dogs. I’ll still buy a hot dog from time to time.

Is there any reason to believe Universal has written off creating these type of attractions? I think it’s clear they’ve had a preference for screen-based attractions, but I prefer hamburgers to hot dogs. I’ll still buy a hot dog from time to time.
The only genre of attractions Universal has written off at this time are suspended and trackless rides.

I'd be happy to explain my reasons, but that doesn't seem to be a conversation anybody but myself is particularly interested in, so I'll spare everyone that for now!
I’m happy to hear your reasoning — my question was earnest. I haven’t been plugged into this sort of Universal conversation in the way others have.

I’m happy to hear your reasoning — my question was earnest. I haven’t been plugged into this sort of Universal conversation in the way others have.
To be as brief as possible, Universal passed up (what I see as) opportunities to add this sort of ride at USF (a park that would benefit from a more diversified attractions lineup) with the Shrek replacement and DreamWorks, and there's no classic-style dark ride coming to Epic Universe, either. The dark rides that will be there are either thrill rides (Monsters, Ministry) or heavily interactive (Mario Kart).

DISCLAIMER: Mario Kart is pretty good and I expect Monsters and Ministry will be, too. But the relatively passive, non-interactive experience like SLOP seems decidedly out of fashion (in Orlando, anyway).

Or you're reading way more into how I phrased it than I intended.
It was this.

To be as brief as possible, Universal passed up (what I see as) opportunities to add this sort of ride at USF (a park that would benefit from a more diversified attractions lineup) with the Shrek replacement and DreamWorks, and there's no classic-style dark ride coming to Epic Universe, either. The dark rides that will be there are either thrill rides (Monsters, Ministry) or heavily interactive (Mario Kart).

DISCLAIMER: Mario Kart is pretty good and I expect Monsters and Ministry will be, too. But the relatively passive, non-interactive experience like SLOP seems decidedly out of fashion (in Orlando, anyway).
Well, they needed Minions to be a flexspace. SLOP was already small as it is, so they couldn't make it smaller.

DreamWorks - the jury is still out. As of now, they may not be adding a dark ride but who knows what the future holds.

Reactions: belloq87