Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Should DCA Get a Coco Ride?

Jan 10, 2013
No man's land: SoCal
Just saw Coco, one of Pixar’s best films. Fantastic. Go see it. With that said, seeing the visuals and environments made me realize how awesome it would be to see it get it’s own ride at DCA.

Now, before you throw up your torches and churros for wanting more Pixar in an already Pixar-saturated park, hear me out here. Yeah, there already is a lot of Pixar in DCA, but me thinks there are redeeming qualities that would warrant this....

First, this could totally work as a PoTC-style boat ride. Epcot’s El Rio del Tiempo is rumored to get an overlay to this, but we would have the advantage of starting from scratch. DCA is virtually lacking in atmospheric, no-height requirement rides like PoTC or Haunted Mansion. Having a boat ride like Coco would really help with giving the park some more variety.

For those of you whining about “no more Pixar in DCA” or “IT DOESNT FIT TEH THEMEZ!!!!!”, Hispanic heritage plays a big role in California’s history. Boom. Not to mention this would be a big draw for the Latino community...which is BIG in SoCal. It would be a big draw. Also, Disney ain’t building crap unless it’s a big name IP and now this is.

So what do you think? Look, we all know DCA is Pixar’d out, but I’m willing to make an exception here and actually campaign for a Coco ride...especially in the vein of PoTC. Besides, Bug’s Land is *likely* on its way out soon, so that will even that out.

So what do you think?

Just saw Coco, one of Pixar’s best films. Fantastic. Go see it. With that said, seeing the visuals and environments made me realize how awesome it would be to see it get it’s own ride at DCA.

Now, before you throw up your torches and churros for wanting more Pixar in an already Pixar-saturated park, hear me out here. Yeah, there already is a lot of Pixar in DCA, but me thinks there are redeeming qualities that would warrant this....

First, this could totally work as a PoTC-style boat ride. Epcot’s El Rio del Tiempo is rumored to get an overlay to this, but we would have the advantage of starting from scratch. DCA is virtually lacking in atmospheric, no-height requirement rides like PoTC or Haunted Mansion. Having a boat ride like Coco would really help with giving the park some more variety.

For those of you whining about “no more Pixar in DCA” or “IT DOESNT FIT TEH THEMEZ!!!!!”, Hispanic heritage plays a big role in California’s history. Boom. Not to mention this would be a big draw for the Latino community...which is BIG in SoCal. It would be a big draw. Also, Disney ain’t building crap unless it’s a big name IP and now this is.

So what do you think? Look, we all know DCA is Pixar’d out, but I’m willing to make an exception here and actually campaign for a Coco ride...especially in the vein of PoTC. Besides, Bug’s Land is *likely* on its way out soon, so that will even that out.

So what do you think?

Coco's Fun Wheel.

My thought is "Mexico isn't California" but I guess this hasn't stopped Monsters Inc or Little Mermaid...

Or Guardians of the Galaxy.... The irony is that out of all of these themes, Coco is the most relevant for DCA. California culture is deeply rooted in Mexican tradition. Buena Vista Street (Spanish name), is Spanish inspired Art Deco.

Whether Coco is relevant to Disney's California Adventure or not doesn't change the fact DCA main theming is abandoned when Monsters Inc is added, as well as Bugs Life, Little Mermaid, and most importantly, Guardians of the Galaxy based on a Marvel Comics (if you want to talk about relevant, it should fit at Disneyland in Tomorrowland). Honestly, as a Californian, it makes no sense to have a park dedicated to California based within California, especially the Los Angeles set where you could easily visit these real-life locations around the Los Angeles area, as well as rest of California. SF bakery can be based on the Fishermen's Wharf in SF and a drive from LA to SF is 5 to 6 hours. Yosemite and Sequoia national parks each have 4 to 6 hours drive as well. I really feel DCA was a bad concept from the start, especially the budget cuts and the controversy Disney had to deal with.

Yeah I've always thought it was really odd to have a California themed park in California. The fact that they are moving further and further away from that theme is fine by me. Just re-name the park and all is well.

Yeah I've always thought it was really odd to have a California themed park in California. The fact that they are moving further and further away from that theme is fine by me. Just re-name the park and all is well.

I can see it for tourists. People coming for Disney may not have time to tour all of the real life spots.

Agreed. If they did rename it, it would be annoying to have to slap myself for every time I️ would improperly call it “DCA”.

With seeing the film fully, with a waterfall falling twice when I saw it; it totally deserves a presence in Disney for an indoor attraction.

Coco could actually extremely shine as an attraction, especially when you see how the Land of The Dead is expressed in the film visually and in way's that can to me, easily translate to an attraction. Whether it's the replacement of Fiesta Tour from Epcot or perhaps something similar to Peter Pans Flight from Shanghai but expanded, there is so much potential with Coco as an indoor attraction. And I hope to god TWDC takes advantage of the success of the film quickly.

I lowkey could see Coco as a Peter pan-ish ride where the rider goes onto on a gondola ride similar to the movie. It could capture all the colors and infrastructure of all the buildings in the movie, but a water ride would be really fun and it would add more variety to DCA.

I lowkey could see Coco as a Peter pan-ish ride where the rider goes onto on a gondola ride similar to the movie. It could capture all the colors and infrastructure of all the buildings in the movie, but a water ride would be really fun and it would add more variety to DCA.

To give a possible example but not Peter Pan, Tokyo DisneySea actually has a version of 20K Leagues that is an inverted dark ride that completely encloses the riders in a "sub". I could easily see WDI take inspiration from that, and still make it a no height restrictive attraction for families.

Hence forth,