Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Six Flags Magic Mountain

I was kind of hoping that they might have changed their minds about comfort collars on West Coast Racers. They don't bother me too much during rides, but lifting up the collar to sit down is a huge hassle, and that will likely slow down dispatch times.

Neil Thurman actually said that he opted for Comfort collars because they'd be faster than seat belts.

Neil Thurman actually said that he opted for Comfort collars because they'd be faster than seat belts.

They might technically be quicker to check, but I know from Electric Eel that the process of sitting down in them is a much larger hassle and takes longer than it does on Full Throttle. The comfort collars make things very awkward and clumsy. Also, even if they manage to run three trains on West Coast Racers, I am still worried about capacity since each train only holds 12 riders. They should have at least opted for the trains that hold 18 riders like the ones on Full Throttle.

I have gotten some really good runs through Willoughby's in the past, so hopefully I have a better run through later in the season. I think Fright Fest makes up for their lack of budget with being more creative with scares.

Also, I found this on reddit where u/sprkn_ranger posted it:

jjmn5kg2fmr31.jpg

I was kind of hoping that they might have changed their minds about comfort collars on West Coast Racers. They don't bother me too much during rides, but lifting up the collar to sit down is a huge hassle, and that will likely slow down dispatch times.

Still, I am excited for the ride to eventually open. It will really add a lot to that corner of the park, and help make the west side of the park much closer to being as strong as the east side.

This is where I get nervous. I'm one of those weirdly shaped people that has a difficult time with certain rides and restraint fits. USUALLY it's a crotch belt combined with chest issue. I'm small chested for a girl but BROAD as hell. So X2 on 1 occasion just wouldn't pull across right (though I've ridden it a dozen other times). I typically can't do the rides with the crotch belt due to the same issues. Scream for me is a 'big boy seat' ride so I do ride it. I cannot ride batman or riddler. I can ride Luthor. I can't ride superman any more. Everything else I can do (the belt on colossus is fine but the locking of the lap bar is torture). I can ride all other coasters just fine with room to spare.

So, I'm hoping this ride doesn't have a restraint system that disagrees with me. Tatsu's comfort collars feel great to me. But I puke on that ride even with motion sickness meds LOL.

Any idea on how fitment might play out? The reality is that with my health issues (torn disks, fybromialgia) I fluctuate a LOT in body shape due to inflammation.

Magic Mountain not open until 5pm today due to fires. I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't open up at all today. Well wishes to all those affected in the area.
Was just going to say same thing. You can see from SCV the fires are picking up again and the Newhall pass is still closed. If they do open, will be nice and dead at the park tonight.

This is where I get nervous. I'm one of those weirdly shaped people that has a difficult time with certain rides and restraint fits. USUALLY it's a crotch belt combined with chest issue. I'm small chested for a girl but BROAD as hell. So X2 on 1 occasion just wouldn't pull across right (though I've ridden it a dozen other times). I typically can't do the rides with the crotch belt due to the same issues. Scream for me is a 'big boy seat' ride so I do ride it. I cannot ride batman or riddler. I can ride Luthor. I can't ride superman any more. Everything else I can do (the belt on colossus is fine but the locking of the lap bar is torture). I can ride all other coasters just fine with room to spare.

So, I'm hoping this ride doesn't have a restraint system that disagrees with me. Tatsu's comfort collars feel great to me. But I puke on that ride even with motion sickness meds LOL.

Any idea on how fitment might play out? The reality is that with my health issues (torn disks, fybromialgia) I fluctuate a LOT in body shape due to inflammation.

I understand this, I am 6'4, so even though I can fit in them all, there are some rides that are a little tight on me like Superman. That said, if you can do Full Throttle, I think that you should be able to do West Coast Racers if the seats and restraints are the same as Electric Eel. The comfort collars on Electric Eel aren't very restrictive. They are actually fairly loose fitting unlike traditional hard OTSRs, so I would expect them to be the same on West Coast Racers.

I understand this, I am 6'4, so even though I can fit in them all, there are some rides that are a little tight on me like Superman. That said, if you can do Full Throttle, I think that you should be able to do West Coast Racers if the seats and restraints are the same as Electric Eel. The comfort collars on Electric Eel aren't very restrictive. They are actually fairly loose fitting unlike traditional hard OTSRs, so I would expect them to be the same on West Coast Racers.
Yes Full Throttle is an easy fit. The belts are plenty roomy too.

While I'm sure this isn't going to break my Top 20 list, I do think it looks like a lot of fun and very reridable. I'm suspecting the GP will eat it up.

Just because a coaster doesn't break any records or delayed in construction doesn't make it worthless. On paper, Maverick at Cedar Point isn't notable for anything: it's not the fastest, tallest, or longest. But it's still a lot of fun and is very popular.

SFMM has a lot of extreme rides that many people won't go on because they look too intense for a lot of the GP (X2, Superman, Drop of Doom, Tatsu, Crazanity--just to name a few). It's good to have a more middle tier coaster in their line up--something less than what I mentioned, but more than Goldrusher or Ninja.

While I wasn't super excited about the initial announcement, in the big picture of the park, it's actually a pretty good move. And it's the closest we'll get to Maverick on the West Coast.

Last edited:
Was just there today. There is still a lot to do. They paved a little more of the street. The station is vertical, but has no roof or walls yet, just framing. The cars are near the employee entrance. And it appears most of the landscaping in the concept art has been cut.

^How can you tell the landscaping has been cut? Isn't that the sort of stuff typically done at the end? It could be too early to do landscaping yet.

And while the station does still have a ways to go, I was there just six days ago, and it was barely 10 vertical poles and that was literally it. So in 6 days, they got a lot done.

^How can you tell the landscaping has been cut? Isn't that the sort of stuff typically done at the end? It could be too early to do landscaping yet.

And while the station does still have a ways to go, I was there just six days ago, and it was barely 10 vertical poles and that was literally it. So in 6 days, they got a lot done.
The landscaping was cut in the middle of the land. The are only two tiny planters in the middle and they only have one tiny palm trees in each of them, pretty sure that's it unless they plan on tearing up the asphalt they just laid down which is highly unlikely. Just going to have to wait for the final product. We need more trees!

The landscaping was cut in the middle of the land. The are only two tiny planters in the middle and they only have one tiny palm trees in each of them, pretty sure that's it unless they plan on tearing up the asphalt they just laid down which is highly unlikely. Just going to have to wait for the final product. We need more trees!
Agreed, they would have built the planters first, like in the two they did, then lay the asphalt. We just have to admit to ourselves, which I already have, that MM is cutting back on this project. Sad. They love to take out landscaping in a park that needs it so much.

Circle shows the only two planters installed. The planters were installed before the asphalt.

Attachments

• 5FFAAEDC-CB78-4FA0-AC42-EB04D9A213A7.jpeg
    5FFAAEDC-CB78-4FA0-AC42-EB04D9A213A7.jpeg
    88.6 KB · Views: 9
Last edited by a moderator: