Six Flags Magic Mountain | Page 216 | Inside Universal Forums

Six Flags Magic Mountain

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Ninja’s parts are wayyyy harder to replace, not to mention its low ridership.
I am half awake right now and read the bolded as pants and was super confused for a moment

The above tweet was SFNE related

Countering that: Vekoma FLY has been regarded as one of the worlds best coasters in modern design; due to the experience it brings.

If it does anything close to that of FLY, the park will have a headliner attraction that competes directly with the likes of Hollywood Drift.

Countering that: Vekoma FLY has been regarded as one of the worlds best coasters in modern design; due to the experience it brings.

If it does anything close to that of FLY, the park will have a headliner attraction that competes directly with the likes of Hollywood Drift.
I just don't see how on earth this is marketable for the park. I guarantee the GP is gonna complain about this and call this a "less scary Tatsu". A giga that goes around the park would absolutely stand out from Fast and Furious.

Reactions: Tobias and chris.g
Interestingly, I just rode F.L.Y. about a month ago. I enjoyed it, and it was very reridable and very smooth. But of course, at Phantasialand, what made the ride super memorable is all the close calls you get with buildings, water features, and the like. Which I can't really imagine SFMM would have too much of.

I also didn't find it super thrilling, just fun. That said, I was seated in the middle. I've heard it's much more intense and even has airtime (!) in the front row.

It also has/had the distinction of being the only launched flying coaster. And while I felt the launch was a bit on the mild side, this is where I could imagine SFMM ramping that up quite a bit, so it could make the experience quite a bit different if they were so inclined, and would arguably be the marketing angle. And the park only has one other launched coaster (FT).

But F.L.Y.'s most distinctive feature is the load system. It's wild, unexpected, and way more efficient that the B&M models are. And it makes me wonder if SFMM would expand on that "pre-fly" sideways option as well, though not sure how practical that would be.

Also of note is Phantasialand had a very, very strict "absolutely no carry on items or anything in your pockets even phones and even if the pockets zipper up" locker system that included a metal detector like Velocicoaster does (which is why there's no videos of the load system out there). It'd be interesting to see if SFMM did that. I can't imagine it, but who knows?

It would make the steampunk bird logo make sense, though.

Last edited:

To respectfully counter the counter, F.L.Y. is the next-gen flying coaster from Vekoma...which isn't what's rumored for MM.

What's rumored is a prototype flying motorbike coaster, which might not be able to perform the same kind of maneuver's that F.L.Y. does, it may not even go upsidown. And when it comes to the experience, F.L.Y. is fully integrated into the land of Rookburgh, with a metric ton of near misses which makes it all the more exciting...and I just don't see MM being able to provide that kind of setting for the experience, it's mainly gonna' be out in the open.

While building a prototype fit's MM's M.O., this would have to have some crazy layout in order to move the needle for me. Hollywood Drift fit's that to a T, and while I applaud what Vekoma has been doing lately, it's hard to out crazy Intamin save for the Tilt Coaster. (And that's a coaster that would move the needle!)

But a flying motorbike? This is a coaster that'll need to stand out beyond its initial gimmick, and sometimes you just don't get that with prototypes as it's trying to see if the gimmick works. I'm very much in the boat that a Giga would've been a better choice, as Giga coasters are proven needle movers, hype machines and crowd pleasures just for existing. Doesn't matter how long or short the layout is, you have at least a 300' drop, everyone's looking your way.

Reactions: Freak
^That's a fair point, this is all total speculation. But this theory does check many boxes:
  • SFMM loves having the "first" of a new type of coaster
  • A motorbike coaster has been long rumored for this (just go back in this thread, and there are many, many references that go quite a ways back that sound credible)
  • The bird logo would make sense with this design
That said, it could all be a crazy coincidence. To counter all this, SFMM management themselves said at an ACE Event Q&A just over a month or so ago that it wasn't going to be a coaster at all, but some sort of flat ride. So who the heck knows?

Giga coasters are also mega expensive, especially now and especially in California, which is why we don’t have one here, and perhaps never will.

Goliath was our best shot, and back then they had the resources, and fumbled it.

Land is also at a premium in California, which is why despite being such a large theme park, you’ll notice all of our coasters continue to be fairly compact.