Skull Island: Reign of Kong - General Discussion | Page 136 | Inside Universal Forums

Skull Island: Reign of Kong - General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
With respect to Niles’ comments, I can only guess he’s either misinformed or is being misleading; based on everything I’ve heard from knowledgeable people on here, there’s a decent chunk of the ride between the point we pass through the gates and the point we enter the 360 scene, which Niles - for whatever reason - is acting like does not exist. Might he be trying to generate a bit of controversy, since that section of the ride is the one thought most likely to contain the non-Kong animatronics, and if it were to have been cut from the attraction it would give those wanting a more fully-rounded experience cause for concern? Niles doesn’t seem like the kind of guy who would just try to troll that crowd, but I’m at a loss to otherwise explain why he’s trying to make the attraction sound less interesting than I think most expect it will be.

It would be interesting to see a poll here to see how excited people are for the ride on a scale of 1-10.

Personally, I'm sitting about a 6, I have a rough rough idea what to expect but I think I'm going to be impressed.

It's going to be one of the first rides I make when I visit the park next no doubt about it.

Reactions: Ryno27
Guys, Robert is well sourced and smart, no need to put him down. I do fully believe he is in the wrong with this attraction just being a turn into the 360 room.
Here's my problem with him, and I've said a lot of good things about him here in the past. When I post here I often refer to other internet sites where I've found new information or pictures I think the readership is interested in. The info is discussed and BriMan never has once complained to me about mentioning another site. We're kind of all here to get the best picture of what is currently known. For some reason, Niles seems to resent any information coming onto his site from another site that he hasn't released. He either ignores it or refutes it as rumor. Well, all of his stuff is technically rumor too. He wasn't always like that. He seems to have changed when he redid his site and started adding all of these staff writers that have limited knowledge of what they're writing about. Heh, it's his site and he can do what he wants. But conversely, he's fair game for constructive criticism also. And when he doesn't print info in his story so his version isn't questioned borders on unethical journalism. The forums have died a slow death on his site, so that tells you something also. I used to have a lot of respect for him but it's slowly falling....That's the last I'll say on him. :)

On the subject at hand, Niles just basically doubled-down in the comments section of the article he wrote up on the Kong info today:

"The cave scene is the video tunnel. Let's remember that the reported six minutes is from load to unload -- it's the time driving from dispatch to the gate, through the gate, the video tunnel, the Kong scene, and driving back to unload."

On the subject at hand, Niles just basically doubled-down in the comments section of the article he wrote up on the Kong info today:

"The cave scene is the video tunnel. Let's remember that the reported six minutes is from load to unload -- it's the time driving from dispatch to the gate, through the gate, the video tunnel, the Kong scene, and driving back to unload."

That doesn't fly. I mean, we've SEEN inside and know the cave is at least somewhat practical, not to mention the concept art completely backing that up

That doesn't fly. I mean, we've SEEN inside and know the cave is at least somewhat practical, not to mention the concept art completely backing that up

Clearly, so why put out such a confident, rigid statement that could objectively be proven incorrect when the ride opens? Why not cover yourself with a little wiggle room? Something to the effect of, “There will probably be a few surprises in there that I’m not aware of…” would do it. It's a weird stance for him to take.

Reactions: Mike S and Mad Dog
Looking at the viral marketing materials building up the backstory of the attraction, it’s pretty clear to me that there are so many possible merchandise opportunities for this ride that it’s actually kind of disappointing there won’t be a full-blown shop for it.
- Vintage-looking maps of Skull Island.
- Eighth Wonder Expedition Co. hats, shirts, vests, canteens, buttons, pins, patches, field journals, perhaps even a small “Guide to the Flora and Fauna of Skull Island” pamphlet or book.
- King Kong plush/action figures.
- Assorted island creature plush/action figures.
- Then there’s the stuff just explicitly promoting the actual ride itself (shirts, pins, ball caps, etc. with the name of the ride on them).

I’m sure some of that stuff will pop up on whatever merch cart they’re supposedly locating at the exit, but I expect it will just be a smattering of items.

Looking at the viral marketing materials building up the backstory of the attraction, it’s pretty clear to me that there are so many possible merchandise opportunities for this ride that it’s actually kind of disappointing there won’t be a full-blown shop for it.
- Eighth Wonder Expedition Co. hats, shirts, vests, canteens, buttons, pins, patches, field journals, perhaps even a small “Guide to the Flora and Fauna of Skull Island” pamphlet or book.
- Then there’s the stuff just explicitly promoting the actual ride itself (shirts, pins, ball caps, etc. with the name of the ride on them).

I’m sure some of that stuff will pop up on whatever merch cart they’re supposedly locating at the exit, but I expect it will just be a smattering of items.

@Teebin

Good points.One area where the lack of space inhibits what they can do. But I would envisage a large separate display in the IOA Universal entrance store. Plus they might even put some of that stuff in the JPR store since it's just around the bend,

Good points.One area where the lack of space inhibits what they can do. But I would envisage a large separate display in the IOA Universal entrance store. Plus they might even put some of that stuff in the JPR store since it's just around the bend,

Oh, I'm very sure there will be a presence in the entrance store, but it wouldn't be quite as fun to shop in as a fully-themed outpost would be!

I hope Kong merch doesn't show up in Jurassic Park, though; that island's already been hemmed in on both sides by other properties, and to use existing space there to showcase Kong would further my belief that Universal unfortunately sees JP as a little bit of an "also ran" land that can be semi-cannibalized as need be.

Reactions: Ryno27 and Mad Dog
Just thinking, perhaps the gates being mysteriously opened are also a storytelling element. As in, the blonde expedition leader seen in the video has gone missing(wonder why), and the gates have mysteriously started opening with the tribal chants, allowing us to go drive in. Which is perplexing as rarely have people actually gotten inside this temple, if ever before.

Reactions: anihilnation
Oh, I'm very sure there will be a presence in the entrance store, but it wouldn't be quite as fun to shop in as a fully-themed outpost would be!

I hope Kong merch doesn't show up in Jurassic Park, though; that island's already been hemmed in on both sides by other properties, and to use existing space there to showcase Kong would further my belief that Universal unfortunately sees JP as a little bit of an "also ran" land that can be semi-cannibalized as need be.
Yes, I understand your point and agree with it. I'm just guessing possibilities. The JPR store has a lot of fairly lame merchandise so I was thinking it would be ripe for merchandising exploitation by Kong themed stuff.

Just thinking, perhaps the gates being mysteriously opened are also a storytelling element. As in, the blonde expedition leader seen in the video has gone missing(wonder why), and the gates have mysteriously started opening with the tribal chants, allowing us to go drive in. Which is perplexing as rarely have people actually gotten inside this temple, if ever before.

If from what they said today is right, I'm guessing the second or third scene inside she's going to be capture or run off. She's a pretty blond girl. I'm sure there will be a lot of screaming.

You can probably figure out the rest.

Yes, I understand your point and agree with it. I'm just guessing possibilities. The JPR store has a lot of fairly lame merchandise so I was thinking it would be ripe for merchandising exploitation by Kong themed stuff.

I'm sure Universal's thinking about it. I'd just rather they fill that space with new, park-exclusive JP or JW stuff; just as there is with Kong, there's plenty of opportunity for more unique and diverse Jurassic merch: park maps, replica brochures, exclusive figures (beyond the ultra-cheap, borderline-generic ones that are supposedly "park exclusives" already), more prop replicas, etc.

Reactions: Mike S and Mad Dog
Niles posted again, " There is space for animatronics in the room with the video tunnel - and there's a transition space between it and the temple gate. There will be a much more complex set-up than in Hollywood, starting in the queue itself. But the highlights of this ride are the video and the animatronic Kong."

So yea, I'm just assuming he doesn't know what's happening in that "transition space". Still, he probably should have posted something like this before.