Skull Island: Reign of Kong - General Discussion | Page 676 | Inside Universal Forums

Skull Island: Reign of Kong - General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Don't remember what page it's on, but someone mentioned the likely issue with the outside portion... the ride vehicles are modified versions of automated shipping container movers (example of one below). Those are designed to run on perfectly flat concrete surfaces, so when they run over the bumpy terrain outside of Kong the vehicle isn't really designed for the twisting/uneven (don't know the right word for it) forces that go through the drivetrain or suspension. Think of it like riding a road bike off road... it'll still roll but you're way more likely to pick up a flat or break a fork than on a mountain bike that is designed to do that.

Not first hand info but that's what I seem to remember reading here and it makes decent sense.

agvbanner2_0.png

Edit: found it
My only problem with that hypothesis is that if that truly is the problem how were they able to run the entire attraction in A mode for 7 successful years?? And aren’t the motion bases indoors causing the same problems the outside portion would too? I’d figure if that hypothesis was true then the entire ride itself would be a problem, but who knows. I think we know now it definitely has to do with the terrain outside or the trucks themselves but the extent is still unknown and probably will be until we see them fixing the problem area

Reactions: SpatulaShack
My only problem with that hypothesis is that if that truly is the problem how were they able to run the entire attraction in A mode for 7 successful years?? And aren’t the motion bases indoors causing the same problems the outside portion would too? I’d figure if that hypothesis was true then the entire ride itself would be a problem, but who knows. I think we know now it definitely has to do with the terrain outside or the trucks themselves but the extent is still unknown and probably will be until we see them fixing the problem area
It’s eating tires. More than anything the tires are taking the brunt of the abuse because the suspension isn’t. My take on it anyway.

It's been eating tires since it opened and replacements costing a lot.. And there were times the large gate doors wouldn't open and close, so they kept them open. But they continued to run the outside portion throughout all that. I think, with Epic pressuring their budget, that they're more cost conscious now, and that area in front of the doors will probably require some downtime. With LC shut down, except for food, and PF closed for repairs, and some issues with Velocicoaster, they have some potential capacity issues if they shut down any of the large capacity attractions like Kong. But they are nickel and diming with the 3D glasses that aren't really a budget buster item.

Reactions: Nico and _rnblove
It's been eating tires since it opened and replacements costing a lot.. And there were times the large gate doors wouldn't open and close, so they kept them open. But they continued to run the outside portion throughout all that. I think, with Epic pressuring their budget, that they're more cost conscious now, and that area in front of the doors will probably require some downtime. With LC shut down, except for food, and PF closed for repairs, and some issues with Velocicoaster, they have some potential capacity issues if they shut down any of the large capacity attractions like Kong. But they are nickel and diming with the 3D glasses that aren't really a budget buster item.
For all of these reasons that you listed here is why i’m hopeful the repairs will take place either late this year or next year and why those screaming that this issue is “cost savings” and “just an excuse for universal to make a ride shorter to increase capacity” and that the ride will never be fixed back to A mode are just plain wrong.

For all of these reasons that you listed here is why i’m hopeful the repairs will take place either late this year or next year and why those screaming that this issue is “cost savings” and “just an excuse for universal to make a ride shorter to increase capacity” and that the ride will never be fixed back to A mode are just plain wrong.
Yeah, I think they'll ultimately fix the outside portion, but I'm pessimistic about a return of the 3D glasses. Last year they tested removing them from Gringotts. That didn't work out so they didn't follow through. Previously they removed them from DM, and the ride, like Kong, suffers from the lack of the intended 3D. So that kind of sounds like a pure cost saving thing.

Yeah, I think they'll ultimately fix the outside portion, but I'm pessimistic about a return of the 3D glasses. Last year they tested removing them from Gringotts. That didn't work out so they didn't follow through. Previously they removed them from DM, and the ride, like Kong, suffers from the lack of the intended 3D. So that kind of sounds like a pure cost saving thing.
Yeah I doubt they will bring back the 3D. They’ve removed the blank sign that used to say Goggle Pickup, and they’ve utilized multiple blocks to cover the goggle pickup area. Those subtle moves tell me they’ve already made up their minds. It’s a shame, but i think focus has to be on A mode repair for now.

Yeah I doubt they will bring back the 3D. They’ve removed the blank sign that used to say Goggle Pickup, and they’ve utilized multiple blocks to cover the goggle pickup area. Those subtle moves tell me they’ve already made up their minds. It’s a shame, but i think focus has to be on A mode repair for now.
I recall when they were testing Kong. One of Teebin's sources worked for Oceaneering. That was when the worn tires and bumpy conditions creating problems with the chassis first came up. According to Teebin they were completely caught off guard by that. It wasn't something they anticipated. They were also having huge problems with the sensors in the concrete, kind of like ROTR had in Disneyland before it opened when they tore up the floor to fix it. . Kong had lots of issues, even before it had it's delayed opening. Yeah, this stuff isn't new. It's been a problem since before opening.....It's always been my opinion that the opening outdoors segment is essential to setting up the whole ride. They used to keep that closed sometimes in the morning and late night when line crowds were small. I always checked to see if they were using the outside portion before I entered the queue. I always loved that ride, but avoided the shortened version. I've easily rode Kong over a hundred times.

Last edited:
Reactions: Disneyhead
I recall when they were testing Kong. One of Teebin's sources worked for Oceaneering. That was when the worn tires and bumpy conditions creating problems with the chassis first came up. According to Teebin they were completely caught off guard by that. It wasn't something they anticipated. They were also having huge problems with the sensors in the concrete, kind of like ROTR had in Disneyland before it opened when they tore up the floor to fix it. . Kong had lots of issues, even before it had it's delayed opening. Yeah, this stuff isn't new. It's been a problem since before opening.....It's always been my opinion that the opening outdoors segment is essential to setting up the whole ride. They used to keep that closed sometimes in the morning and late night when line crowds were small. I always checked to see if they were using the outside portion before I entered the queue. I always loved that ride, but avoided the shortened version. I've easily rode Kong over a hundred times.
I’m so glad you brought up the sensors in the floor because I don’t think people realize just how difficult it is for trucks this massive to accurately respond to those hundreds of RFID tags embedded into the concrete. I wouldn’t be surprised if that’s one of the main reasons why the ride suffers delays NOW as opposed to when the outdoor part was working, and then with the outdoor part working you’re talking about including natural elements of the planet, heat, cold, wind, rain all interacting with live technology outside, it really is a wonder that they were able to make that section work but also not surprising that it’s suffered problems. That being said, 8 years later and i’m confident they’ll have the solutions for what needs to be fixed now. I’ve also been on Kong dozens of times, in fact this year is the first year i’ve actually experienced Universal. Grew up with Disney but not Universal and this year is the first time i’ve actually gone regularly and experienced everything for the first time. The ride technology, especially with Kong, has fascinated me over these past few months. I’ve only known Kong in B mode which is why i’m so anxious and adamant about the full return

Reactions: Mad Dog
I’m so glad you brought up the sensors in the floor because I don’t think people realize just how difficult it is for trucks this massive to accurately respond to those hundreds of RFID tags embedded into the concrete. I wouldn’t be surprised if that’s one of the main reasons why the ride suffers delays NOW as opposed to when the outdoor part was working, and then with the outdoor part working you’re talking about including natural elements of the planet, heat, cold, wind, rain all interacting with live technology outside, it really is a wonder that they were able to make that section work but also not surprising that it’s suffered problems. That being said, 8 years later and i’m confident they’ll have the solutions for what needs to be fixed now. I’ve also been on Kong dozens of times, in fact this year is the first year i’ve actually experienced Universal. Grew up with Disney but not Universal and this year is the first time i’ve actually gone regularly and experienced everything for the first time. The ride technology, especially with Kong, has fascinated me over these past few months. I’ve only known Kong in B mode which is why i’m so anxious and adamant about the full return
Kong issues are reportedly the reason Universal abandoned trackless ride systems, like the original plans for Secret Life of Pets. Disney has a lot of downtime with their trackless rides.

Kong issues are reportedly the reason Universal abandoned trackless ride systems, like the original plans for Secret Life of Pets. Disney has a lot of downtime with their trackless rides.
One of the issues causing Disney's trackless rides to go down often stems from guests sticking their arms out which can apparently trigger the ride to shut down. FWIW Universal did file a patent somewhat recently that involved an interactive trackless ride system guided by infrared lighting, perhaps this is Universals work around to the issues they ran into with kong?

I might be dumb - but what exactly does this mean? lol
It's honestly almost exactly what it sounds like. You can see a dimmer version of the image "trailing" the actual image. It can also make it appear that some images have shadows — this is particularly true when you've got subtitles. My understanding is that it's an issue with the projection system.

It's honestly almost exactly what it sounds like. You can see a dimmer version of the image "trailing" the actual image. It can also make it appear that some images have shadows — this is particularly true when you've got subtitles. My understanding is that it's an issue with the projection system.
It was especially bad when the rexes were close, making them appear blurry