Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Snow White’s Scary Adventures Upgrade

Looks pretty nice overall, but I am a bit disappointed that they bothered to remove the skeleton vignettes *straight from the film* and replaced them with colorful and sort of nonsensical potion bottles. The scary forest is definitely missed, but the new ending does look good and is a better overall representation of the story.

(The fun of this attraction was that it functioned as an introductory spook house for kids, however. I'll always be a bit disappointed that they made a conscious and in my opinion misguided effort to move away from that.)

Looks pretty nice overall, but I am a bit disappointed that they bothered to remove the skeleton vignettes *straight from the film* and replaced them with colorful and sort of nonsensical potion bottles. The scary forest is definitely missed, but the new ending does look good and is a better overall representation of the story.

(The fun of this attraction was that it functioned as an introductory spook house for kids, however. I'll always be a bit disappointed that they made a conscious and in my opinion misguided effort to move away from that.)
Disney doesn't even do anything spooky any mores.....thats more on universal now

I think overall its better, like I would choose this over the last version and glad the story finally makes sense 60 years later..lol

Overall, it does look good, especially during the mine, poison apple scene and the finale. That said, it doesn't look like it escapes the issue that plagues most fantasyland darkrides, you're trying to recap the movie in just a few minutes and it doesn't land all the way cuz you can't fit it all in. I do miss the forest since that could've been a cool scene with the upgrades, and it may be due to the camera turning away at the wrong time but...does the witch get struck by lightning in this version? I'm getting a TLM-flashback of a climax getting really glanced over.

As I said before, it does look good, but at the same time I do lament it doesn't have it's quirky spookhouse edge anymore.

Gotta admit, it looks a lot better than I expected. Makes me think of the Alice renovations.

Hopefully Toad is next.

If we're talking a Alice-like plussing, than yes. I'm 100% for that.
But if it's like this which includes adding more of a story and changing scenes, I'm gonna' be deeply concerned since that ride thrives on pure fast and frantic chaos (which amusingly makes it one of the best since it's not trying to recap the movie.), and then there's the matter of the finale which would risk getting cut and that would be a massive blow to a wonderfully weird and quirky ride.

So Ive watched POV of this ride a few times today and really like it. I also like the unique use of light at the end like they have limited space so what do you do? make it all dark until you need to lught up area's I just have always loved this ride and really happy with the new effects and hope Princess and the Frog uses some of these lighting effects and colors

This is very much improved but on video the mirror shattering looks kind of hokey. Wish they just went with a storybook stand showing Snow White biting the apple (and put that in the cauldron scene) and just had rain and lightning where the mirror is currently. The added figures and music though look absolutely wonderful. Can't wait to ride in person

Kind of crazy how bare the mine scene was in the 83 version and how much the new version does with the space. If they ever get around to Pinnochio, they could probably do some neat things with Pleasure Island.
I mean after Florida got a great mine scene to me, it make sense to use the same tech to upgrade ours. I have always disliked the mine and in my mind I always added the dwarfs to the scene because it was so empty.

Toad is perfect. It's cardboard cutouts shouting at you and then you go to Hell. By far the best ride I've ever been on.

I'd argue if Pinocchio gets the treatment, it'd be like Peter Pans. I don't see the need to do anything major to it, unlike Mr. Toads, which is in desperate need of an overhaul.
What would you change?

I have been trying to think of ways they could use all their projection mapping, led, and screen techniques to plus Mr Toad, but I kind of feel like its charm is that it isn’t high tech

As well, because it is so low tech, we get rather close to lots of the character figures and objects on the ride.

Also, I feel like if they touched it, they would try to get rid of the hell portion, and that is pretty iconic to that ride

It took over 27 years after the WDW version to have the proper ending being brought over to Disneyland. The ending that DL totally deserves. As far as the ride goes overall, the end music is too loud both during the Apple mirror scene and at the Witch's plunge, which feels weird and awkward.

I'd argue if Pinocchio gets the treatment, it'd be like Peter Pans. I don't see the need to do anything major to it, unlike Mr. Toads, which is in desperate need of an overhaul.

Yeah, Toad is currently perfect as it is, but it would have been a lot more fun to give it some sort of an extension.

Please, please, please don't change Mr. Toad. There's no brand or franchise to promote - the ride is very much its own thing, and the lo-fi trappings are a big part of the charm.

I totally get wanting to update Pinocchio - remove the cringe-inducing Asian stereotypical puppet and maybe Tobacco Row (yes I'm aware both appear in the film) and then do something more interesting with Pleasure Island, by far the most underwhelming and drawn out scene. Wouldn't hate if Jiminy Cricket got more than one sculpt throughout the ride, too.

It was done well, but the fun of theme parks is that tense feeling of controlled danger and then payoff, and the update loses some of this. The payoff happens too early and cuts out too many of the scary scenes, so not only do you lose the tenseness of the OG, but the payoff isn’t as powerful because it doesn’t have enough tenseness to contrast. If I were them, I would’ve enclosed half of the load area, (from the corner with the giant book to the beginning of the cottage facade) and added a condensed version of the Paris ending. That way you keep the haunted forest, the evil queen’s demise, and getting offered the apple all with updated effects, but still get the payoff of a real ending. The projection mapping was done great, and integrated easily into the black-light sets.

This is an off-topic question, but this is probably the thread to ask it: The meet and greet that replaced the WDW version probably doesn’t consume the entire ride area, so was the entire building gutted, or are there still some old sets/props/remnants in the back corners of the building that’ve been blocked off by the meet and greet?

It was done well, but the fun of theme parks is that tense feeling of controlled danger and then payoff, and the update loses some of this. The payoff happens too early and cuts out too many of the scary scenes, so not only do you lose the tenseness of the OG, but the payoff isn’t as powerful because it doesn’t have enough tenseness to contrast. If I were them, I would’ve enclosed half of the load area, (from the corner with the giant book to the beginning of the cottage facade) and added a condensed version of the Paris ending. That way you keep the haunted forest, the evil queen’s demise, and getting offered the apple all with updated effects, but still get the payoff of a real ending. The projection mapping was done great, and integrated easily into the black-light sets.

This is an off-topic question, but this is probably the thread to ask it: The meet and greet that replaced the WDW version probably doesn’t consume the entire ride area, so was the entire building gutted, or are there still some old sets/props/remnants in the back corners of the building that’ve been blocked off by the meet and greet?

They purposefully wanted to get rid of 2 of the Witch appearances and the scary woods. I think they made the right call IMO with the extended ending, but would have liked a better transition especially musically between the cauldron to the witch on the cliff scenes. Maybe if they included some more climax music/sound effects of the witch falling with thunder/lightning