Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Solar Farms at WDW

What would make the most sense to me would be replacing Disney's parking lots with garages and then putting solar arrays on the roof to shade the cars on the upper deck. That would eliminate several issues and remove the necessity for parking trams.

Except then people crash into the supports and it cuts into the number of parking spaces.
I know from experience Americans aren't great drivers but that is just silly. They can drive in a parking lot and Lego land also has them without disasters. Above that the French aren't that great in driving either but it will work at DLP. I'm sure it costs more money but that is about it.

I know they had planned to cover the parking lot at Six Flags Great Adventure as part of a solar project but they decided against it for several reasons including guests running into the supports (they run into each other and the light poles in the parking lots all the time), plus there were some security concerns (it's harder to patrol a lot covered in solar panels). They ended up doing the same thing Disney did, using undeveloped land to build a solar array instead.

What would make the most sense to me would be replacing Disney's parking lots with garages and then putting solar arrays on the roof to shade the cars on the upper deck. That would eliminate several issues and remove the necessity for parking trams.
That would obviously be desireable, but garages cost a ton of money in upkeep costs. Pavement parking is dirt cheap in comparison and the option that gets used in almost every scenario if there's the land there to do it. It's why Epic Universe is getting a lot instead of a garage.

The only WDW park where I can see a garage in the future is DHS. Since the park has limited expansion room, the park may need to expand to the parking lot someday, but as of right now a lot is fine.