Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Spaceship Earth Questions

Jan 18, 2009
Hi all
I have a couple of questions regarding Spaceship Earth.
1) is the outside self cleaning? as it looked a little dirty on the top but I was unsure if this was just remnants of the wand that was on top a few years ago
2) In the ride itself, when looking at Earth from space how far to the top of the building do you actually go?
Thanks all :)

Hi all
I have a couple of questions regarding Spaceship Earth.
1) is the outside self cleaning? as it looked a little dirty on the top but I was unsure if this was just remnants of the wand that was on top a few years ago
2) In the ride itself, when looking at Earth from space how far to the top of the building do you actually go?
Thanks all :)

1.) There's been parts of time where it is unnaturally dirty on top. I'm not entirely sure but I believe extra cleaning has taken place previously.
2.) I think you mean how far up from the ground? According to this schematic you are approximately 115-120' from the ground when in the space scene; SSE is 180' tall in total.

The tiles are self-cleaning, although I'm sure that the passage of time and the additional twice-yearly pressure wash it gets has probably worn away some of what made it self-cleaning, just like non-stick pans often deteriorate over time with regular use and a little abuse. The recent bit of dirty tiles at the top is the result of the pressure washing, as they start from the ground and work their way up the structure, which will push some of the dirt up resulting in what you noticed.

spaceshipearth.jpg

If you have a look at construction photos, you can get a rough idea of the interior.

about the cleaning the tiles on space ship earth. the tiles are spaced to allow water to flow into a drainage system which keeps water from pooling and making spe a giant round water fall and it is a mostly grey building so the florida sun cant reall damage the color besides that they refurbish it once every 5 years so i imagine they clean it then

about the cleaning the tiles on space ship earth. the tiles are spaced to allow water to flow into a drainage system which keeps water from pooling and making spe a giant round water fall and it is a mostly grey building so the florida sun cant reall damage the color besides that they refurbish it once every 5 years so i imagine they clean it then

I've got sheets of the same material they used for the construction of the exterior in work. I'll upload a photo of it tomorrow.