Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Special Effects Show

Still strikes me as odd that Ted is now the character used. Sure, he's a MoCap character, but one from an R-rated film.

I'm sure Uni will replace him when they can.

To be fair, the horror portion of the show uses several movies that rated R (Psycho, Chucky, American Werewolf, etc.)

They were previously using a generic 3D model of a troll for the mo-cap scene. Ted isn't exactly kid-friendly, but he's from a Universal film and he brings some more humor to the show. They've been using Ted since the show was renamed so they probably won't be getting rid of it soon.

My kids don't care about the blood, the monsters, and Ted. They know Ted is a teddy bear from the show and the tram tour and that he has a movie, but they have never asked to watch it. But then, my kids like to make their own movies and like to practice their stunts and foley skills that they learned from the special effects show. (I'm not a typical sheltering parent though)

Where can you get a knife like the one they use in the stunt show?

My kids don't care about the blood, the monsters, and Ted. They know Ted is a teddy bear from the show and the tram tour and that he has a movie, but they have never asked to watch it. But then, my kids like to make their own movies and like to practice their stunts and foley skills that they learned from the special effects show. (I'm not a typical sheltering parent though)

I think that's more of a DIY thing, but I will keep looking for that.

That knife is from "The Amazing Johnathan" - it's the one he uses in his act. Amazing Johnathan had an on line store that sold the knife ($275, I own one) and when the Special Effects Show first opened that's where they got them. One of the hosts of the SES said A.J. saw the show when it first opened and came backstage to rib the cast/crew for showing how the trick worked. They say he was very cool funny about it. He doesn't sell them anymore but I see the knife come up on eBay every once in a while and there are several knock-offs available.

Not the exact one but maybe it will work
Knife through Arm by Premium Magic

That knife is from "The Amazing Johnathan" - it's the one he uses in his act. Amazing Johnathan had an on line store that sold the knife ($275, I own one) and when the Special Effects Show first opened that's where they got them. One of the hosts of the SES said A.J. saw the show when it first opened and came backstage to rib the cast/crew for showing how the trick worked. They say he was very cool funny about it. He doesn't sell them anymore but I see the knife come up on eBay every once in a while and there are several knock-offs available.

When did "The Amazing Johnathan" start doing that trick? USH has been using that gag since 2002.

Jonathan didn't invent that gag, Tom Savini did for the original Friday the 13th. He documents it in his "Grande Illusions" book from the 80s.
Exactly. The actors of the Horror Make Up Show (Orlando) generally mention it & give Tom credit in their spiel....Tom has a movie make up school in Monessen, Pa, a bit down the road from where I live. He's very active in the Pittsburgh film community & shows up for many events. I've spoken to him numerous times & he's a really nice guy. He's always been closely involved with our area horror legends, George Romero (who passed away this week), John Russo, and Russ Streiner, who is Chairman of the Pittsburgh Film Office (Russ, who has directed & produced films is best known for his famous line as an actor in Night of the Living Dead, "Barbara, we're coming to get you". Pittsburgh has a vary vibrant Film Office as quite a few movies & TV shows film in the area.

The gag in Friday the 13th was very different. The knife shown in his book is very, very different. A knife with a cut out was used in movies and on stage long before Friday the 13th. Including by Savini himself.

Not taking anything away from the great Tom Savini. Take another look at his description in the book, his knife was built to be used for movies. Johnathan's was made to be used on stage - the blade retracts and the handle is used to hide the cut out. Both the Friday the 13th knife and the Dawn of the Dead machete were not retractable.

The gag in Friday the 13th was very different. The knife shown in his book is very, very different. A knife with a cut out was used in movies and on stage long before Friday the 13th. Including by Savini himself.

Not taking anything away from the great Tom Savini. Take another look at his description in the book, his knife was built to be used for movies. Johnathan's was made to be used on stage - the blade retracts and the handle is used to hide the cut out. Both the Friday the 13th knife and the Dawn of the Dead machete were not retractable.
I'll have to dig out my copy of the book and reread it. I know the HMU script has always credited him with the gag, but maybe the writers confused it with the DotD machete (which they also use in HMU).

Even if Savini did invent the cut out to simulate a blade IN the flesh he invented it for DotD in 1977 and not Friday in 1980. But it's still a different gag than Johnathan invented for his act.

According to Mondo from Five Fires, he says the Special Effects Show is permanently closing and will be replaced by a Jabbawockeez show. His comments on this begin at around the 1 hour 43 mark of the following video: