Sports Experiences in Chile | Inside Universal Forums

Sports Experiences in Chile

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Nov 24, 2023
Hi, I'm planning a trip to Chile in June I would greatly appreciate your recommendations and suggestions for must-see sporting events, popular sports venues, and unique sports experiences in Chile. Such as soccer matches, basketball games, tennis tournaments, or any other sporting competitions, please share them with me.

I would also love to hear about any iconic sports venues or stadiums in Chile that are worth visiting, even if there are no events happening during my trip. Whether it's a historic soccer stadium or a state-of-the-art sports complex, I'm keen to explore the sports infrastructure in Chile.

Please feel free to share your recommendations, personal experiences, and any other insider tips you may have. Thank you in advance for your suggestions!

James

Hey James!

Soccer will be in season when you're there, despite the chilly weather. The most famous team (by a country mile) is Colo-Colo. They play their home games in Macul, which is south east of Santiago.

The home stadium of the national team, Estadio Nacional Julio Martínez Prádanos, is occupied by Club Universidad de Chile (also in Santiago). This is a more impressive stadium and there's a lot of history, some joyous and other grim (you'll notice this is a trend). It hosted World Cup games in the 1960s and was also notoriously used as a detention facility during the Pinochet regime.

Most of the top-flight soccer teams are based in the Santiago area, though the Santiago Wanderers play in Valparaiso. The toughest thing to navigate is purchasing tickets (I ran into this problem). Even with a fluent Spanish speaker helping me out, I struggled to secure tickets. If you're coming from a country outside North America, this may be less surprising to you as it's not uncommon for clubs to restrict access to members/supporters/etc. until the last minute, if at all.

I was not successful in securing tickets, but I also could only realistically go to games in Valpo and, we had other stuff going on. Other sports are certainly popular in Chile, particularly basketball but it didn't appear there was much of a league structure in place. The national sport in Chile is rodeo and there is a big cowboy culture in the country despite it being less agrarian than it used to be. Anyway, if you can find your way to one of those... do it. It's incredible and the vibes are excellent.

Anyway! Hope you have a great trip.

Reactions: Enchant3ress
Hey Jake!

Thanks for the awesome breakdown, Colo-Colo and Universidad de Chile sound like the teams to watch, and the history of the Estadio Nacional is fascinating, if a bit chilling.

Ticket situation definitely sounds tricky, but your advice about non-North American access and last-minute sales is super helpful. I'll be sure to keep an eye out and see if I can snag some seats – Valpo game at Santiago Wanderers sounds like a great fallback too! Any tips on navigating the Santiago Wanderers game in Valparaiso? Public transportation, local hangouts near the stadium, anything that would make the experience extra special?

Rodeo, Definitely adding that to the bucket list alongside some soccer (or perhaps even a game of basketball if the stars align).

Thanks again for the insider tips and the good vibes! Can't wait to explore Chile and hopefully catch some of that electrifying sports scene. ⚽

Cheers,
James

Any tips on navigating the Santiago Wanderers game in Valparaiso? Public transportation, local hangouts near the stadium, anything that would make the experience extra special?
We took a bus to look at the stadium, just keep in mind that most non-train transportation in Chile is still cash only. There are plenty of ATMs around the country, but it might be a good idea to stock up at an airport ATM and try to get small bills. Businesses will absolutely refuse your money, or at least make you feel very awkward, if you hand them a big note and ask for a lot of change.

Anyway! Once you get over by the stadium you'll see where people are congregating. It's not quite like England where there's a pub(s) in spitting distance of the stadium where fans gather regularly. Something that might be worth trying if you do it in advance, is emailing the club directly to ask about tickets and best practices. That's something I wish I had done before traveling to the country.

Reactions: Enchant3ress
Wow, good call on the cash tip! I remember that awkward feeling trying to break a big bill in a tiny shop. And who knew about the stadium email? Smart thinking – might have saved me a whole lot of wandering! Thanks for the heads-up, mate.

Reactions: Jake S