Springfield Expansion | Page 331 | Inside Universal Forums

Springfield Expansion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Hi guys, haven't been here in awhile I was at Universal last Monday. I noticed when I was riding The Simpsons that there was some new audio on the ride. For example when Homer is tied to the boat and goes over the second ramp he originally said "I mean ramps!!!" Now Im pretty he said "This isn't fun anymore!!!" As I mentioned I have not been around in a good while so I ask is the new news or old news or just my imagination.

Hi guys, haven't been here in awhile I was at Universal last Monday. I noticed when I was riding The Simpsons that there was some new audio on the ride. For example when Homer is tied to the boat and goes over the second ramp he originally said "I mean ramps!!!" Now Im pretty he said "This isn't fun anymore!!!" As I mentioned I have not been around in a good while so I ask is the new news or old news or just my imagination.

It's been that way for a few months now.

Again Springfield isn't complete and numerous little to medium size additions and changes are still to come. Groening appears to be a bigger pain in the ass than Rowling...

Htf, it's interesting how you say Groening is such a pain...do you know if he ever requested that Springfield be built with the Simpson house and/or nuclear plant? Seems surprising that he would ok one w/o those if he is so detail oriented

Again Springfield isn't complete and numerous little to medium size additions and changes are still to come. Groening appears to be a bigger pain in the ass than Rowling...
I actually really like the periodic updates Springfield receives. It's kind of like an Eye Spy every time I'm in the area.
The one thing I'm impatient for is for them to update that friggin' map...

Htf, it's interesting how you say Groening is such a pain...do you know if he ever requested that Springfield be built with the Simpson house and/or nuclear plant? Seems surprising that he would ok one w/o those if he is so detail oriented

The Simpsons House and Power Plant were never in any model or pitch for this project. The only time the power plant came up is in 06/07 if I'm not mistaken when they replaced BTTF with the Simpsons. Originally the BTTF ride building was to be rethemed as the power plant (Project Blinky) but they couldn't get one of the guys (voice of Mr Burns and many many others) to sign on. So the entire project shifted to Sideshow Bob and Krustyland.

As for Groening I've been told the slow down on multiple pieces of this entire project is the need for his personal touch and approval of the artwork for anything that goes up.

It's weird. Part of me wants to say I don't blame him, but especially on something like the Simpsons SO many writers have lent their voice to the show over the years that it's almost arrogant of Groening to take complete ownership. That sounds a bit harsh, but I feel like it stopped being his a long time ago and he should embrace the opportunity to see what UC can do with the property. Not saying him pushing them is a bad thing, but that doesn't mean it's always good either.

It's weird. Part of me wants to say I don't blame him, but especially on something like the Simpsons SO many writers have lent their voice to the show over the years that it's almost arrogant of Groening to take complete ownership. That sounds a bit harsh, but I feel like it stopped being his a long time ago and he should embrace the opportunity to see what UC can do with the property. Not saying him pushing them is a bad thing, but that doesn't mean it's always good either.
You give someone the keys to your pride and joy from the last 20 years for them to create a themed land based on it and tell me you're seriously going to give up control. I don't blame him one bit, i'd want it perfect too.

Reactions: natespf
You give someone the keys to your pride and joy from the last 20 years for them to create a themed land based on it and tell me you're seriously going to give up control. I don't blame him one bit, i'd want it perfect too.

Like I said I don't exactly blame him either. But this isn't exactly the same situation as JKR. And come to think of it, where was he back in 06-07? He sure as hell didn't take this fine tooth comb to the original Simpsons offering. I'm not blaming him, but I still think it's weird.

Like I said I don't exactly blame him either. But this isn't exactly the same situation as JKR. And come to think of it, where was he back in 06-07? He sure as hell didn't take this fine tooth comb to the original Simpsons offering. I'm not blaming him, but I still think it's weird.
Well Universal wasn't exactly in as good of shape to do things like this back then if they weren't 100% sure it would be worth it. I get what you are saying though. I just think he's taking advantage of Universal's new status and wants to make sure he can get everything done the way he wants it.

It's also hard for people who don't come from theme parks to see something in a theme park as "perfect". While we know a lot about logistics and practicality in creating theme park attractions, people from other parts of the entertainment industry might not. Groening has created a cartoon world that he's been living in for 30+ years, it's probably hard for him to see some of the details and aspects of it lost in the translation to theme park. Even more importantly, it's probably hard for outside IP-holders to understand why certain things can't be done given the limitations of a profitable theme park with thousands of people passing through every day.

Not to mention Toon Lagoon was originally supposed to be a Simpsons Land... He wanted no part of it then. I'm not saying I really blame him for wanting it to be perfect, more along the lines of I blame him for taking so long on certain aspects. But this is what happens when these parks deal with massive IP's.

Not to mention Toon Lagoon was originally supposed to be a Simpsons Land... He wanted no part of it then. I'm not saying I really blame him for wanting it to be perfect, more along the lines of I blame him for taking so long on certain aspects. But this is what happens when these parks deal with massive IP's.

Are you serious? I know a bunch of mythology regarding IOA but I have never heard that Simpsons was considered. For the first time ever, I am thankful for Toon Lagoon as it is now.

Last edited: