Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Star Wars: Galactic Starcruiser

Wonder if this is based on Disney seeing guests do a short stay at WDW, a few days on property at UOR, then come back to WDW. You get Magical Express still and get to do the two resorts.
Hey, if that's the reason they came up with this hotel idea, then it's pretty smart business. They aren't going to stay at WDW for a week anymore? That's fine, now you can pay more for two nights than you normally would for an entire week!

And this place will likely be packed every night, too.

Wonder if this is based on Disney seeing guests do a short stay at WDW, a few days on property at UOR, then come back to WDW. You get Magical Express still and get to do the two resorts.

I've been thinking this way in reverse for Universal recently. I can justify staying at CBBR for two weeks but not the more expensive hotels but for 3 nights at Portofino plus express passes sounds like a good way to do it.

I'm seeing people downplaying the price on Facebook but given the price was said by Len Testa, I'm assuming Disney told him to test the waters on their behalf. I'm also assuming that the hotel will be fully booked once it opens.

Don't confuse the yanks with fortnight.

Yeah that would be me. I had to look that up myself. Thats way too long for me but I was thinking of maybe saving up for a few years to stay a few days for the experience.

So I wonder if we have to dress up or will that be optional. I think the concept is cool with all the characters walking around but role playing isn't really my cup of tea. I rather just go in my own clothes and interact with everyone that does.

Yeah that would be me. I had to look that up myself. Thats way too long for me but I was thinking of maybe saving up for a few years to stay a few days for the experience.

So I wonder if we have to dress up or will that be optional. I think the concept is cool with all the characters walking around but role playing isn't really my cup of tea. I rather just go in my own clothes and interact with everyone that does.

If they don't have these bathrobes at that price, I'd be severely disappointed.
IMG_9384.JPG

If they don't have these bathrobes at that price, I'd be severely disappointed.
View attachment 4862

LOL my girlfriend actually bought me one like that on ThinkGeek. Surprisingly its really comfortable

Star-Wars-Jedi-Robe-Sleeved-Blanket.jpg

Moreso how it was decided upon..

"The fanboys on the internets would really like XYZ.."

"XYZ would be stupidly expensive to create and operate so we'd have to charge an arm and a leg for it."

"Let's ask the guests with arms to spare what they think of it and if they'd pay for it..."

"They said yes - now statistically how many of these exist?"

*ticker tape spits out a number*

"Ah.. well, looks like we're doing it."

I would think for it to be an imersive experience everyone would have to play a part. I don't know how that translates to the land though where stroller pushing unwashed masses clog every path.

The Star Wars hotel was by-far the most interesting announcement for me at D23. I'd actually go so far as to say it's the most interesting announcement since Diagon Alley. Nintendo better change that.

Twitter kept saying that this is Disney's version of Westworld and I agree with them. The pitch is that it's an incredibly immersive (down to the clothes you wear), exclusive experience that isn't as rigid as a ride. Sounds like Westworld minus the robots and moral indiscretions.

Len Testa (I think?) pointed out that the rumored nightly charge is actually slightly cheaper than a Disney cruise at peak times. There's precedent for the pricing.

This is an evolution of a trend that's been going on for decades in theme parks: if you have more money, you'll get a better experience. Look at EMH, followed by FastPass+, followed by HP wands. Honestly, I don't know how to feel about this. The hotel sounds absolutely awesome. If they actually go all out, this will be the boutique park that gets rumored every couple years. But, it's also showing a larger economic trend. Theme parks used ticket prices to unilaterally stop people from coming in. Now, they're using these kinds of experiences to divide people up.

Having finally watched a video of the announcement for this, i'm incredibly interested as to how much time this narrative takes to complete. It sounds like an overnight MagiQuest. I don't think this is, at all, a place where you crash after a long day at the parks. I think you stay in the hotel all day. Perhaps we shouldn't be looking at this as a "hotel with interactive elements", but an attraction where you stay overnight. So while prices may be high, they should be considerably higher than the other hotels, because while you're staying at this "Disney 360 Experience", you won't also be purchasing a day ticket to Magic Kingdom. The hotel is a theme park, and that's what you're paying for. I think the comparisons to the Cruise Line are more apt than comparisons to the other hotels at the resort.

Having finally watched a video of the announcement for this, i'm incredibly interested as to how much time this narrative takes to complete. It sounds like an overnight MagiQuest. I don't think this is, at all, a place where you crash after a long day at the parks. I think you stay in the hotel all day. Perhaps we shouldn't be looking at this as a "hotel with interactive elements", but an attraction where you stay overnight. So while prices may be high, they should be considerably higher than the other hotels, because while you're staying at this "Disney 360 Experience", you won't also be purchasing a day ticket to Magic Kingdom. The hotel is a theme park, and that's what you're paying for. I think the comparisons to the Cruise Line are more apt than comparisons to the other hotels at the resort.
I think it will include the hotel and some exclusive time in the land.

The more I think about it the more I can see this work like a video game where they keep adding DLC.

Imagine them doing different interactive stories that change each year or couple of years. New characters with stories that walk around, new scenery in your room and new interactive activities for you to do. I think that would be pretty neat if they could somehow implement this and it would keep it new each time you go.

Yeah, how this works will be interesting. I don't think that the people who can straight up afford the rumored prices are exactly the cosplay crowd. I'm sure theres overlap and I'm sure there will be enough people who can't afford it who will splurge. But if they are going to force you to dress the part, it may limit their audience some. I'd definitely be interested in the hotel, but if they force you to dress up and cosplay, I'm not sure I'd be in to that. Now if its a deal where you can where normal park clothes and have the opportunity to interact with characters, droids and whatever, plus have events and shows, sign me up.

The cruise ship experience they are suggesting will be interesting as well. I'm assuming they will "dock" at Galaxy's Edge daily during park hours plus whatever exclusive time they are going to offer. At park close, the ship will leave port. I'm guessing if you want to leave and do other parks or anything else, you'd have to "take a shuttle" from the ship to the main entrance of the hotel. I'm sure there will be exclusive restaurants and bars in the hotel. I can't see them being all-inclusive, but that would certainly help offset the price. But if it's all inclusive(minus alcohol) and has exclusive shows, restaurants, merch, and experiences, it really could be huge.

I think this has to be compared to DCL.

This won't be as cheap as DCL. It sounds like the Star Wars hotel is going for a richer market. I would think (hope) that this would include some form of dinner theater and maybe some access to SWL. I don't expect it to.

I believe it is designed as a 2 day experience. Staying longer would just be repeating things.

That's my guess, based on the "every minute of your stay is in storyline" (however they put it). I don't think it will be WestWorld with 50 stories going at once--more likely 3 or 4. Especially when the main events have to happen at set times, e.g., dinner. A reset every 2 days seems reasonable.

The limited stay will also help address the other huge issue with this, that Joe alluded to. Look, those who know my drinking haunts know I spend more time with vacationing parents than most. Parents will drop a boatload of cash to make their kids happy--but when you tell dad there's no TV in the resort showing the Packers game Sunday night or tell mom she came all the way to Florida but can't get her tan on, the stuff will hit the fan. And while your 9 year-old son will be in awe, what about his 15 year-old sister who isn't wearing that stupid costume, mom, and just wants to play on her phone all day and, mom! why do these actor guys keep bugging me??? Or his 3 year-old little brother who just wants to meet Mickey and gets scared by Darth NuMaul? The cost already limits the market; I think those factors will limit it even more. Rich nerd parents with only nerd kids. (And yes, the childless lifestylers who this seems custom made for will certainly be priced out, if they adopt the cruise line model--spoken as someone who would gladly cruise solo but can't justify paying twice as much.)

While I have my doubts, this is the only truly innovative thing TWDC announced yesterday. Back in the day, EPCOT, MGM, DAK, PI, DCL were all either unique or so "Disney-ized" from the competition as to feel unique. This is a worthy follow-up. No one has attempted LARPing on anywhere near this big of a mainstream stage. The spokesman is right, if it works, the sky is the limit. It would mainstream LARP vacations (for lack of a better term) the way DCL mainstreamed cruising for people over 24 and under 65. But I do wonder if 48 hours in Star Wars is a bridge too far for all but the most dedicated fan.

Zero interest in this "Experience". I'm sure the people will eat it up. Tons of people love this kind of stuff. It's just a bit too "playing pretend" for me. Going deep cosplay isn't really what I'm looking for in my "themed entertainment".

Pretty much sums up my thoughts. But I think we're doing a pretty good job at separating personal taste from practically. Even though I will never stay here, I can see why this will work. All we want is for Disney to take more risks. As much as this may seem money in the bank, it can totally blow up in the face. So kudos to them for trying something daring, even if it doesn't appeal to me.

Even though I have no interest in do this. I am glad they are building it. And even considering expanding the concept with maybe a Haunted Mansion Resort. So I hope this is a success.

I'm really into "atmosphere". But I just want to hang out and soak in it. I don't want to play dress up and "participate". So half of the concept really appeals to me. Then it just goes too far.