Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge (Disney's Hollywood Studios)

lol

God this video tells my why I dislike the head of Lucasfilm. They are OBSESSED with killing the past.

Listen you don't have a Star Wars with out the OT films...I'm not saying forever Luke should be the only hero but my god people like the characters from the first films. Even if in 20 years Kylo and Rey are loved by the old gen....kids still grew up with Luke and Han as well and will love them.

While I know people who like the new films don't want to hear it but GE while built by amazing people just wasn't what it should be...they cut budget on most the things that would make the land unique from Potter and made a Video game ride with ONE story. To me the land for sure in ten years will be better than it is now if Disney puts money into it.

It amazes me how the “cancelled third attraction” continues to make appearances in things like this alongside “but muh kinetics” when I’ve never seen a single person go, “4-8 seats on the back of a single massive, slow-moving animatronic beast - have fun waiting for that.”

It amazes me how the “cancelled third attraction” continues to make appearances in things like this alongside “but muh kinetics” when I’ve never seen a single person go, “4-8 seats on the back of a single massive, slow-moving animatronic beast - have fun waiting for that.”
Ahhh yes the replacement with nothing really helps. Could have used the path to have things on it or people in costumes to make the land feel more alive..but no that costs money and we just want to spend what we want and demand returns.

The land is great but promised a lot more living elements that were ALL cut and nothing replaces them its just a worst land then what was promised.

No stunt show...dinner show...aliens outside shops...Driods roaming...ships flying at night...no hunters...no ride around the park showing the place is alive and real. Just another land...which is cool but they stopped from taking it to the next level and the best ride of the land is a lottery so if you go and can't get on it..what good is a ride?

I believe the third ride had evolved into more of a PeopleMover-esque, constantly-loading sort of conveyance before it was finally, definitively cut from the plans.

I believe the third ride had evolved into more of a PeopleMover-esque, constantly-loading sort of conveyance before it was finally, definitively cut from the plans.
It did not. The notion of a "PeopleMover" came from the Al Lutz article:

The C Ticket was going to be a unique animal ride that would send lumbering beasts on an elevated track around the entire land, while riders bounced around on bench seats mounted to the back of the beasts.

It would have been one of the most unique ride systems WDI had ever created, and was designed to remind Disneyland fans of a bizarre combination of the PeopleMover and the Horse Drawn Streetcars, as well as add constant kinetic energy to the land. But its high cost made it an easy target for Bob Chapek, who used the concerns from WDW’s Operations team over its low capacity to cut it permanently from the land’s budget.

Notice "bizarre combination" ... the PeopleMover comparison was really only applicable to the elevated track. Also note the subtle WDW dig, as if Colglazier was completely cool with it.

How I would fix it. Post Covid of course. For the Hotel opening would be ideal

Forget the timeline. Bring in all the characters people love.

More stage shows and general street performances.

A Droid area, that people have to wait for like a meet and greet if they wish. Not much different than Raptor encounter

Aliens in the cantina. If you can’t have them on the streets at least have them in the cantina where you can control crowds. Have the servers go into make up / wardrobe, pay them as talent instead of bartenders

Start working on multiple Falcon scenarios that either get voted on or are completely random like Star Tours. Surprised they aren’t doing this already.

Ditch Boarding groups. It’s time for a traditional line. People willing to wait will, others will go elsewhere.

EDIT : Make it super fan friendly ..focus on lesser known characters like Mando has, help excite the hardcore fans that want more from a Star Wars land than Kylo/Rey or Vader/Luke. Make their appearances in the park special “events”

Last edited:

A Droid area, that people have to wait for like a meet and greet if they wish. Not much different than Raptor encounter

Aliens in the cantina. If you can’t have them on the streets at least have them in the cantina where you can control crowds. Have the servers go into make up / wardrobe, pay them as talent instead of bartenders

Start working on multiple Falcon scenarios that either get voted on or are completely random like Star Tours. Surprised they aren’t doing this already.

Ditch Boarding groups. It’s time for a traditional line. People willing to wait will, others will go elsewhere.

EDIT : Make it super fan friendly ..focus on lesser known characters like Mando has, help excite the hardcore fans that want more from a Star Wars land than Kylo/Rey or Vader/Luke. Make their appearances in the park special “events”
:thumbsup: All good, common sense, points.

Great ideas

So Disney will refuse to use them

The Bantha ride seemed like a terrible idea with motion that would be nauseating

When they ignore the original trilogy's characters, they ignore a fair number of fans. Those are the fans that would show up many times in addition to the regular vacationing families. Again, it's a matter of being tone-deaf to what people expect. Plus, Darth Vader and the original characters are universally recognized and most associated with Star Wars. Fans of all ages still love them.

To me, I am still of the opinion that people didn't show up because the new lands featured one dark ride and one simulator. The dark ride was difficult to get a boarding pass to ride (even on those days that it managed to run most of the day) and the simulator had a built-in weakness of people not always wanting to have to do something. Plus, pushing a button repeatedly (if you aren't a pilot) is not that exciting. The most popular rides are just good rides to be enjoyed. Runaway Railroad has consistently long waits and it is just a dark ride. Flight of Passage might be a simulator but it is a much more convincing simulator and is truly enjoyable. It just seems that Galaxy's Edge has a lot of flash and dash but not enough actual substance. A slow moving third ride would have added nothing. A thrill ride would have helped to flesh out the land along with some of the dropped entertainment.

And yes, dump the boarding pass situation and FP+ as well. Make all lines standby and call it a day. The next lesson (and hardest for Disney) is to learn how to become efficient with their new builds. Not value-engineered but using the settings and immersive qualities more effectively where it matters. What if Galaxy's Edge was a spaceport with more of a city setting and with less rockwork? Part of it could have had a roof with projections showing ships landing or taking off. Then, instead of massive amounts spent for fake rockwork, those funds could be redirected to add more attractions. I love the rockwork, especially at Cars Land where it fits perfectly with the movie. However, for Batuu, the rockwork was not required.

The ship for second-guessing has sailed but the problems that Disney has right now were set up by a series of bad decisions and not understanding what their guests truly enjoy. To be fair, I will still enjoy myself when at the parks and I don't lament what isn't there. It's just that Galaxy's Edge feels more like "what might have been" instead of what is.

If Disney would have build the original trilogy then they would have "forced" me to buy a ticket. I even would look over the horror that is the Disney Trilogy that killed my beloved characters over 3 awful movies. Now it's only a sad reminder Disney doesn't know a thing about the ip's they buy.

If Disney would have build the original trilogy then they would have "forced" me to buy a ticket. I even would look over the horror that is the Disney Trilogy that killed my beloved characters over 3 awful movies. Now it's only a sad reminder Disney doesn't know a thing about the ip's they buy.

I don't necessarily agree, I really do believe the Force Awakens was a good start to a reboot, but it spiraled downhill from there. I don't hate the new trilogy as much as the internet seems to, but I can see some of the faults. Main one being, there doesn't appear to be a cohesive overall story. These were films planned and written individually instead of as a trilogy, which doesn't work in the age of Binge TV and Marvel movies.

Mando has been some of the best Star Wars content ever and that has all fallen under Disney's watch....so the "Disney doesn't know Star Wars" complaint is a tad unfounded.

I don't necessarily agree, I really do believe the Force Awakens was a good start to a reboot, but it spiraled downhill from there. I don't hate the new trilogy as much as the internet seems to, but I can see some of the faults. Main one being, there doesn't appear to be a cohesive overall story. These were films planned and written individually instead of as a trilogy, which doesn't work in the age of Binge TV and Marvel movies.

Mando has been some of the best Star Wars content ever and that has all fallen under Disney's watch....so the "Disney doesn't know Star Wars" complaint is a tad unfounded.
I don't think anyone thought the sequel trilogy would end up being as terrible as it was

I have faith in their long form shows moving forward, Mandalorian as an example.

I'm in the camp of just dropping the whole "this is in the new trilogy" and start bringing in more characters past, present, and future

I'm in the camp of just dropping the whole "this is in the new trilogy" and start bringing in more characters past, present, and future
They really just need to find a new angle besides Resistance vs Empire. Andor and Obi-wan sound cool, but I hope that some of the other shows find new angles for villains. If anything, really show that the New Republic is the dominant force in the galaxy. That goes for Rangers of the New Republic and Rogue Squadron. Nonetheless, they can't be fighting the same bad guys/aesthetic variants after 45 years.

They really just need to find a new angle besides Resistance vs Empire. Andor and Obi-wan sound cool, but I hope that some of the other shows find new angles for villains. If anything, really show that the New Republic is the dominant force in the galaxy. That goes for Rangers of the New Republic and Rogue Squadron. Nonetheless, they can't be fighting the same bad guys/aesthetic variants after 45 years.
Old Republic would be great as well

Old Republic would be great as well
Maybe that's the Taika movie, but I feel like they would have told us.

EDIT: I also wonder if they're waiting till after a couple one-off movies to do another trilogy. That way no movie will carry the burden of previous entries for a while.

Changing directors did not help, especially when the yutz who directed "The Last Jedi" ditches half the stuff that was set up in "The Force Awakens". No matter what, the land's are established and the big thing that Disney could do now would be to take a step back and figure out how to improve them. However, with Disney in the condition that it is in, those changes won't be coming any time soon if ever.