Star Wars: Tales from the Galaxy’s Edge replacing NBA Experience | Inside Universal Forums

Star Wars: Tales from the Galaxy’s Edge replacing NBA Experience

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Nick

Staff
Sep 22, 2011
Orlando
Disney has announced that guests visiting Disney Springs will be able to participate in a complimentary Virtual Reality experience thanks to a partnership with Meta. The experience will take place in the building that was custom-built for the NBA Experience. The Meta Quest 2 Virtual Reality Experience Featuring ILMxLAB’s Star Wars: Tales from the Galaxy’s Edge will run from May 2, 2022 to July 21, 2022 at Disney Springs. Here’s everything you need to know:

A trackless dark ride with traditional Disney IPs not well represent in the main parks. Lilo and Stitch, Mr Toad, Pinocchio, etc. I would also like to see them replace the balloon ride with a Mickey themed gondola Ferris wheel. Finally, remove the current carousel and replace it with a Disney character themed carousel. Charge per ride and they would make a small fortune.

Time is a flat circle.

Guessing once the time comes, they'll do something similar to what Shanghai does with VR: using I believe an in-house group for that location.

Time is a flat circle.

Guessing once the time comes, they'll do something similar to what Shanghai does with VR: using I believe an in-house group for that location.
They are using ILM for this. The VR Experienced was just designed by them for Meta/Oculus, so it's sort of in-house already.

We're doing a DS half-day in late May to see Drawn to Life, so I want to check this out. Wonder how they'll handle lines. First come, first serve? VOID was nice because you could reserve a time well in advance.

Here's some pictures from BlogMickey. Doesn't seem like they are using the second floor. I have a feeling this building will sort of be a Merry-Go-Round of short little temporary things to go in here until they can find someone who has a use for the whole building year round and is probably going to have to be willing to put in the money to do some gutting of the space so whoever takes over permanently isn't just using a complete retrofit.

Reminds me a lot of when Virgin Megastore left and it took them quite a few years of going through temporary exhibits and such before they found Splitsville.
metaquest-virtual-reality-disney-springs-2.jpg

metaquest-virtual-reality-disney-springs-5.jpg

metaquest-virtual-reality-disney-springs-7.jpg

Reactions: frank_1991_
I've got to ask...is there a reason here in CA they dont use the old ESPN zone for this as well?

I think this is a touring pop up store, so it might be going there next/soon.
It's free too, which I didn't realize. I'll have to head out to Disney Springs one of these days to give this a chance before it's gone.

Went to Disney Springs and did this yesterday with no problem. Managed to get a reservation before going there since I had access to the QR code to get a reservation. Showed up right on time, walked in with little to no problem (you do have to sign a waiver) with a friend and they had us go in as groups of two so my friend did the experience and I basically stood off to the side and watched and then I did it.

It's a rather short experience individually - 10-15 minutes maybe. I had actually never used anything like Oculus or Playstation VR before this because I just don't see the value yet. I'd call this experience a good introductory VR experience. If you use it a lot this will likely be lame to you, but it's a good experience to help introduce it to those that may not otherwise try it with the Star Wars IP attached. I do have to say the game felt a bit choppy, bit there was an action sequence at the end of it where you had to shoot your way to safety which i'll admit was pretty cool in a VR experience.

And again, this is 100% free aside from having to give your information over to Meta, but it's not like they don't have your information anyway as long as you have a Facebook, Instagram or WhatsApp account.

Reactions: shiekra38 and Nico
lol

This is insane, how is this already closed? Well, I hope they bring it to Disneyland DTD for....a week, lol

Lol by the time I actually heard that this was a thing, I hear the news that it's closed.

Oh Disney. What have you done with Star Wars.
lol

This is insane, how is this already closed? Well, I hope they bring it to Disneyland DTD for....a week, lol
Read the first post in the thread. Meta always planned this as a limited time engagement from May 2nd to July 21st. It was free. As I said above, it was a good intro to VR if you've never used it before. It was here for 2.5 months and the only thing Meta was getting out of the deal since it was free was potentially the odd VR sale here or there, but I highly doubt they sold many.

I have a feeling this building is going to go through a whole host of different short term tenants, much like the old Virgin Records Store building did before Splitsville came along as a permanent tenant. That's what Disney needs to find is their next Splitsville that will be willing to take over a weird building AND be successful. Meta didn't even use the second floor for this experience, only the lobby area and a few of the old shoot around rooms from the NBA Experience.

Read the first post in the thread. Meta always planned this as a limited time engagement from May 2nd to July 21st. It was free. As I said above, it was a good intro to VR if you've never used it before. It was here for 2.5 months and the only thing Meta was getting out of the deal since it was free was potentially the odd VR sale here or there, but I highly doubt they sold many.

I have a feeling this building is going to go through a whole host of different short term tenants, much like the old Virgin Records Store building did before Splitsville came along as a permanent tenant. That's what Disney needs to find is their next Splitsville that will be willing to take over a weird building AND be successful. Meta didn't even use the second floor for this experience, only the lobby area and a few of the old shoot around rooms from the NBA Experience.
Yea the building is really nice it would be a shame not find a permanent tenant.

Last edited: