State of USH - What's Next? | Page 24 | Inside Universal Forums

State of USH - What's Next?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
There are some office buildings and soundstages behind the MK showbuilding. According to Google maps they are labeled Stage 14, Building 2160, KNBC and Telemundo studios, Universal Studios gate 1, and a parking deck. While there appears to be a consensus on this thread that the soundstages wedged between Transformers and Mummy (maybe Mummy as well) will go eventually for USH park expansion thanks to more soundstages being constructed sway from the park, is it also possible that the buildings I listed above behind the MK showbuilding are also being considered to be removed for USH expansion as well?
It's possible that they're being considered, but it's unlikely that they're being seriously considered for anything in the near-term (within the next ten years). Soundstages are easy to "relocate" because they're largely just empty space. There are other elements to them and some of the nicer ones have built-in dressing rooms or other support facilities, but the majority of it is empty. Easy to put up and easy to tear down.
For something like the Brokaw New Center (KNBC and Telemundo Studios) and the Carl Leammle Building (Building 2160), they'd have to either relocate or recreate the whole breadth of the facilities offered in those buildings to keep from losing functionality. They may expand that way in the future, but it would be a very long time coming. Plus, with how the lower lot is laid out, actually accessing that area from the rest of the park, once the buildings are demolished, might prove difficult.
Also, Google Maps isn't the best resource when it comes to building information. I recommend the map found here, since it has the most complete information provided by Universal.

It's possible that they're being considered, but it's unlikely that they're being seriously considered for anything in the near-term (within the next ten years). Soundstages are easy to "relocate" because they're largely just empty space. There are other elements to them and some of the nicer ones have built-in dressing rooms or other support facilities, but the majority of it is empty. Easy to put up and easy to tear down.
For something like the Brokaw New Center (KNBC and Telemundo Studios) and the Carl Leammle Building (Building 2160), they'd have to either relocate or recreate the whole breadth of the facilities offered in those buildings to keep from losing functionality. They may expand that way in the future, but it would be a very long time coming. Plus, with how the lower lot is laid out, actually accessing that area from the rest of the park, once the buildings are demolished, might prove difficult.
Also, Google Maps isn't the best resource when it comes to building information. I recommend the map found here, since it has the most complete information provided by Universal.
Couldn't the new NBCU creative campus being constructed to the left of SNW house what was done at least in the Carl Leammle building and maybe even KNBC? But then again the plot of soundstages wedged between Mummy and Transformers have more than enough space for a healthy sized expansion to USH. They could even/may very well lump the Mummy plot into any new hypothetical land in that plot as I don't think they would want to keep Mummy for much longer when you got Fast and Furious as the new thrill coaster for USH.

Couldn't the new NBCU creative campus being constructed to the left of SNW house what was done at least in the Carl Leammle building and maybe even KNBC? But then again the plot of soundstages wedged between Mummy and Transformers have more than enough space for a healthy sized expansion to USH. They could even/may very well lump the Mummy plot into any new hypothetical land in that plot as I don't think they would want to keep Mummy for much longer when you got Fast and Furious as the new thrill coaster for USH.
Unless they have a specific plan for that site I personally think they’ll want keep Mummy around as long as they can. The GP loves it and I’m sure they still will after F&F opens. Besides, it serves as the intermediate coaster above Hippogriff and below F&F.

There are people on YouTube using unreal engine to fix cheap effects from recent productions or make entire realistic shorts with no sets at all. I think you are greatly underestimating technology as a cost savings that would make the physical sets of the backlot an additional expense. The technology is moving so fast universal has to be thinking about this. Accelerated AI development is only going to make things happen sooner. For now the backlot itself is a draw but If universal wants to increase attendance long term they will either need to build another park at a different location nearby or find a way to repurpose a ton of space for attractions. There may be a point where it is more profitable for universal to build physical sets somewhere else and have more space for attractions.

Backlots won’t go anywhere anytime soon. Not everything should or could be shot with the volumes we use. On top of that, it’s more expensive to have a team create an environment of a town square virtually than it is to say rent out Courthouse Square for a shoot. It’s why we use backlots constantly, and while other studios may be sizing them down or axing them, a lot of that has to do with Universal’s being so spectacular that it’s almost always better shooting there, than another smaller backlot in town.

There are some office buildings and soundstages behind the MK showbuilding. According to Google maps they are labeled Stage 14, Building 2160, KNBC and Telemundo studios, Universal Studios gate 1, and a parking deck. While there appears to be a consensus on this thread that the soundstages wedged between Transformers and Mummy (maybe Mummy as well) will go eventually for USH park expansion thanks to more soundstages being constructed sway from the park, is it also possible that the buildings I listed above behind the MK showbuilding are also being considered to be removed for USH expansion as well?

Building 2160, the Carl Laemmle building, will not go anywhere either. It is a massive parking structure for all of us working on the lot. It’s gotten a lot of state of the art upgrades, houses offices, the studio gym and a lot of other amenities and studio support that really shouldn’t be relocated anywhere further than the heart of the front lot.

Reactions: Jake S and Clive
Unless they have a specific plan for that site I personally think they’ll want keep Mummy around as long as they can. The GP loves it and I’m sure they still will after F&F opens. Besides, it serves as the intermediate coaster above Hippogriff and below F&F.
Maybe they are plans to have a middle tier coaster post F&F. While DK appears to be dead at USH, maybe the replacement Nintendo IP for a hypothetical SNW expansion will have a family coaster slotted above Hippogriff but with better capacity. Or whatever land replaces the soundstages between Transformers and Mummy will have one. But IMO if USH genuinely wanted to keep Mummy, they would have given it the extensive TLC Orlando's got last year. Depending on the lineup of attractions USH has planned for the future beyond even 2028, maybe they are contempt with not having a coaster like Mummy.

Last edited:
Just curious, but who owns the basecamp kitchen? I ask that as couldn't that also be lumped in when the lower lot gets a massive expansion?

Just curious, but who owns the basecamp kitchen? I ask that as couldn't that also be lumped in when the lower lot gets a massive expansion?
Basecamp, the property, is owned by Universal, tho it might be operated by an outside vendor. I highly doubt that area will ever become park space, it butts up against the bungalows, and Spielberg’s Amblin mini-campus headquarters. Not to mention the mill we have over there and the lamp dock directly across Jimmy Stewart Ave., both of which are around the most active in town and sit in a great location to service the whole lot.

Last edited:
I am once again in the belief that removing Mummy for an open air plaza/theater setup once Fast comes, is the best course of action. USH needs entertainment again to fill the void.
I really wish the Plaza was upgraded to have shows until they add more (which seems like wont be until after FF coaster)

I am once again in the belief that removing Mummy for an open air plaza/theater setup once Fast comes, is the best course of action. USH needs entertainment again to fill the void.
An open air plaza with live entertainment could also be lumped into whatever IP Universal chooses when they expand the lower lot. Though what type of productions should an open air theater host? A typical run of the mill play or a stunt show kinda like what is done at Avengers Campus, but better executed?

Tearing down a popular indoor coaster for just a plaza and a couple of shows is going to be a tough sell for the GP.

I whole-heartedly agree that USH needs more live entertainment, but at that point, they would be better off trying to get rid of some of the adjacent sound stages to do so. I think just cloning the Monster Make-Up Show and Bourne would make USH pretty well-off with live entertainment when you have Water World as well!

How has Universal not taken advantage of their ties with America's Got Talent to do a live in-park version of AGT? If Disney could do American Idol Live at WDW, why couldn't Universal do AGT?
Holy crap…..this is genius! The GP would dig this! This would provide lots of entertainment from the drunk people LOL

It would have to be the Voice though because Disney owns American Idol.

• Love
Reactions: Horror Lover
Tearing down a popular indoor coaster for just a plaza and a couple of shows is going to be a tough sell for the GP.

I whole-heartedly agree that USH needs more live entertainment, but at that point, they would be better off trying to get rid of some of the adjacent sound stages to do so. I think just cloning the Monster Make-Up Show and Bourne would make USH pretty well-off with live entertainment when you have Water World as well!
I think how the GP will react to Mummy departing will depend on the quality of the land for a lower lot expansion. If Mummy is lumped in with the soundstages to the left of it you have a land of about 11-12 acres. That is basically on par with Galaxies Edge size and scale wise. If you have two large scale attractions, coupled with live entertainment, the GP could get behind that. Plus I feel that if USH really wanted to keep their Mummy for the long term, they would have given it that extensive refurb Orlando's got. But they didn't. Though it may be possible a middle tier coaster like Mummy could be in the pipeline for USH at some point whether that comes with an Nintendo expansion or elsewhere.

Reactions: joerodriguez
I think how the GP will react to Mummy departing will depend on the quality of the land for a lower lot expansion. If Mummy is lumped in with the soundstages to the left of it you have a land of about 11-12 acres. That is basically on par with Galaxies Edge size and scale wise. If you have two large scale attractions, coupled with live entertainment, the GP could get behind that. Plus I feel that if USH really wanted to keep their Mummy for the long term, they would have given it that extensive refurb Orlando's got. But they didn't. Though it may be possible a middle tier coaster like Mummy could be in the pipeline for USH at some point whether that comes with an Nintendo expansion or elsewhere.
No-Country-for-Old-Men_Tommy-Lee-Jones_Josh-Brolin_Javier-Bardem_9.jpg

I'm not seeing anything online talking about USH Wages but I've seen reports of some CM's wearing "Stop Property Wages" around USH. I hear the union (IATSE) is trying to push for better wages and really hope they get them

I see over in Florida CM get paid 17 now and here I think its still 15 dollars an hour.

Disney got rid of their talent show at DHS quite a few years ago, after weak audiences. It didn't really attract audiences like Beauty & the Beast and Indiana Jones show did.

Disney got rid of their talent show at DHS quite a few years ago, after weak audiences. It didn't really attract audiences like Beauty & the Beast and Indiana Jones show did.
I think the point is universal could actually pay some of the acts from AGT to perform in universal Hollywood to boost entertainment and their own entertainment property. They have a great advantage of testing everyone out on national tv and live audiences to know what would work in a park length show.

Water world pays equity actors who actually work in Hollywood as it is.

• Love
Reactions: Horror Lover