Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Staying at Universal and Going to Disney World

Dec 27, 2022
Hi all,

I will be staying at the Universal Resort from 1/28 through 2/5. This seems like a lot of time for two parks (not sure if i will be going into Volcano Bay). I was considering getting maybe a three-day park hopper pass for Disney World and heading over there some weekdays when they are perhaps not as busy. The only issue I am seeing are some people are saying that it is difficult to buy a lightning lane pass for some of the attractions (Flight of Passage and Cosmic Rewind) before they sell out if you are not staying on Disney property. These are two attractions I really want to do, as I have not yet ridden them. Has anyone had any experiences with visiting Disney for a few days while staying at the Universal resort? Is it worth doing, or should these be two separate vacations? I will be by myself, so I will not have to contend with anyone else's schedule.

Thanks!
Terry

I’ve never had an issue buying Lightning Lane for Guardians…haven’t been to Animal Kingdom in a minute but I’d imagine Flight of Passage isn’t any worse than Guardians. I’ve seen Guardians LL’s available as late as 1pm in the summer and you’re going during a much slower time of year…I think you’ll be good.

You also don’t need to buy a Lightning Lane to get on Guardians. If you’re up at 7am, you can sign up to reserve a standby spot for Guardians (you’ll only end up waiting 30 minutes in line once your time is called)—this goes for everybody and gives no preference to on-property hotel guests. They’ll also release another round at 1pm…you have to be in the park to get that but, again, never had any issues even in the peak of summer.

Though Avatar doesn’t have a free reservation option, giving yourself three solo days at Disney will give you plenty of time to just suck it up and wait standby if you can’t swing a Lightning Lane. There’s not many rides at Animal Kingdom so even the worst line would fit snugly in a full day at the park.

Hope this helps! I try to pack in as much variety as comfortably possible every time I travel, be it for work or vacation. I’ve never once regretted seeing more than what I’m there for…so count me as a vote for checking out both resorts while you’re in town :thumbsup:

I’ve never had an issue buying Lightning Lane for Guardians…haven’t been to Animal Kingdom in a minute but I’d imagine Flight of Passage isn’t any worse than Guardians. I’ve seen Guardians LL’s available as late as 1pm in the summer and you’re going during a much slower time of year…I think you’ll be good.

You also don’t need to buy a Lightning Lane to get on Guardians. If you’re up at 7am, you can sign up to reserve a standby spot for Guardians (you’ll only end up waiting 30 minutes in line once your time is called)—this goes for everybody and gives no preference to on-property hotel guests. They’ll also release another round at 1pm…you have to be in the park to get that but, again, never had any issues even in the peak of summer.

Though Avatar doesn’t have a free reservation option, giving yourself three solo days at Disney will give you plenty of time to just suck it up and wait standby if you can’t swing a Lightning Lane. There’s not many rides at Animal Kingdom so even the worst line would fit snugly in a full day at the park.

Hope this helps! I try to pack in as much variety as comfortably possible every time I travel, be it for work or vacation. I’ve never once regretted seeing more than what I’m there for…so count me as a vote for checking out both resorts while you’re in town :thumbsup:
Thank you! This is so helpful! I’ve been sorta mentally beating myself up over if I should be staying at a Disney hotel as well, which would be difficult since I have tickets to some special events at the Universal resort, which would force me to reschedule my itinerary.

I’ve not been to the Orlando parks since early 2017 (it’s easier and cheaper for me to go to Los Angeles/Anaheim), and there’s so much new stuff I’m stoked to experience!

Thanks again!

Thank you! This is so helpful! I’ve been sorta mentally beating myself up over if I should be staying at a Disney hotel as well, which would be difficult since I have tickets to some special events at the Universal resort, which would force me to reschedule my itinerary.

I’ve not been to the Orlando parks since early 2017 (it’s easier and cheaper for me to go to Los Angeles/Anaheim), and there’s so much new stuff I’m stoked to experience!

Thanks again!
Stay at Universal and day trip down to the house of mouse. Uber is probably the best bet if you don't have a car, weigh the parking cost against the Uber cost if you do. You will be paying to park it at either place.

Hi all,

I will be staying at the Universal Resort from 1/28 through 2/5. This seems like a lot of time for two parks (not sure if i will be going into Volcano Bay). I was considering getting maybe a three-day park hopper pass for Disney World and heading over there some weekdays when they are perhaps not as busy. The only issue I am seeing are some people are saying that it is difficult to buy a lightning lane pass for some of the attractions (Flight of Passage and Cosmic Rewind) before they sell out if you are not staying on Disney property. These are two attractions I really want to do, as I have not yet ridden them. Has anyone had any experiences with visiting Disney for a few days while staying at the Universal resort? Is it worth doing, or should these be two separate vacations? I will be by myself, so I will not have to contend with anyone else's schedule.

Thanks!
Terry
I do it often. A day trip here and there to WDW from Universal. It's fast to get on I4 with the entrance next to Cabana Bay. The drive is generally pretty quick as long as there's not a jam on I4. 15 to 25 minutes and you're in a park, parking lot at WDW.

Thanks again!
Of course. And I agree with @JoeCamel the value of staying onsite at UO is much higher than WDW. For any visitor doing both resorts, I’d recommend choosing a Universal hotel.

Have a fun and feel free to let us know how it went :)