Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Studio Tour

^Everything you mentioned (Red Sea, spinning tunnel, bridge) were all highly mechanical effects. WOW set, minus a few flashing lights and a small motor to turn the propellor, largely just sits there. Maintenance free. IMO, that's why it's been around for so long.

If another use comes to them, and they have the budget to build it, I'm all for it. But I'm also not going to be shocked to see it there for a while longer.

I think it's a shame they don't have something ET related on the Studio Tour, especially after they replaced the ride with the Mummy. I'd be happy just for their to be an indoor forest scene you drive past with an ET animatronic.
Might have to settle for ET: 360 3-D, a brand new immersive Studio Tour experience where you - yes, you - get to come face to face with everybody’s favorite extraterrestrial in breathtaking CGI as he takes unwitting visitors to the Universal backlot on an unforgettable journey through the skies above Hollywood!

(In seriousness, though, I feel you. I definitely miss ET’s presence in the park; that forest queue alone had something to it, a vibe that’s just unlike anything else, and it’s one of the first things I think of when I think of the park even after all these years!)

Last edited:
As impressive as it still can be, particularly for people who've never seen it before, its time feels like it'll come sooner than later, especially now with Whoville being razed a stone's throw away. Compared to things like the Jaws encounter or the Psycho house, which both celebrate indisputably iconic Universal properties, Worlds isn't a film that's necessarily a crown jewel in the studio's history.

If Universal was willing to get rid of parts many of us considered some of the "best things" growing up that gave the Studio Tour character, whether it's the lagoon's parting of the Red Sea, the cheesiness of the Avalanche/Mummy tunnel, or even the disuse of the collapsing bridge, then I personally feel like they'd have no problem pulling the trigger on the Worlds set if/when the time comes. Honestly, I'd be okay with losing it if it meant something new went up in its place, either as part of a future park expansion (like Alexander mentioned) or as something new for the Studio Tour, and would only be bummed at its loss if they simply did nothing at all with it afterwards (again, looking at you, dancing cars location).
I agree. The last few times I went through it, it just seemed like there were less and less props scattered around. To the point where you can see the surrounding area outside of it so much, further breaking the illusion. To be honest, the only thing they’re really showing off is the plane.

I think it's a shame they don't have something ET related on the Studio Tour, especially after they replaced the ride with the Mummy. I'd be happy just for their to be an indoor forest scene you drive past with an ET animatronic.
Totally! It’s a Universal crown jewel! And a Spielberg passion project. The only remnants of it at the park are the stuffed animals.

I'd Love the Tour to end with something like the Great Movie ride....you go past a few scenes/characters from famous Universal films.

Would love Back to the Future to get the love it deserves, that film is still big today for something that hasn't been rebooted yet

As impressive as it still can be, particularly for people who've never seen it before, its time feels like it'll come sooner than later, especially now with Whoville being razed a stone's throw away. Compared to things like the Jaws encounter or the Psycho house, which both celebrate indisputably iconic Universal properties, Worlds isn't a film that's necessarily a crown jewel in the studio's history.

If Universal was willing to get rid of parts many of us considered some of the "best things" growing up that gave the Studio Tour character, whether it's the lagoon's parting of the Red Sea, the cheesiness of the Avalanche/Mummy tunnel, or even the disuse of the collapsing bridge, then I personally feel like they'd have no problem pulling the trigger on the Worlds set if/when the time comes. Honestly, I'd be okay with losing it if it meant something new went up in its place, either as part of a future park expansion (like Alexander mentioned) or as something new for the Studio Tour, and would only be bummed at its loss if they simply did nothing at all with it afterwards (again, looking at you, dancing cars location).

They sure do love to talk about how they got that plane there though..lol.

The last time I went on the Studio Tour must have been 2015, they had just added the Fast & Furious section to replace the Mummy. I'm amazed at how much has changed since that last time; and now, even Whoville has been taken out? Is anything else going to be replaced within the coming years?

The last time I went on the Studio Tour must have been 2015, they had just added the Fast & Furious section to replace the Mummy. I'm amazed at how much has changed since that last time; and now, even Whoville has been taken out? Is anything else going to be replaced within the coming years?

I don't think anyone really knows honestly. I'm not counting Whoville as a loss by any means. I am surprised it stayed as long as it did.

I never liked how it ruined the sight lines at the Bates Motel. It was also falling apart. I would be happy to see the plane crash site cleared also. That thing has run its course.

What's interesting to me, is that this is happening from just this Wednesday of the 24th.

Makes me genuinely curious to know why they'd take Bruce out now. Especially by all meanings, they could've just of done it a month or two ago.

I never liked how it ruined the sight lines at the Bates Motel. It was also falling apart. I would be happy to see the plane crash site cleared also. That thing has run its course.
I agree with both sentiments. The weather took its course on those poor stages and did no favors to the designers who really made that come alive on film.
The plane crash though.... What could really go there? The industry loves having easy access to a plane crash set without paying for it so I know that’s a reason to keep it around longer. What could go in whovilles place? They both need solid replacements to beef up that last leg of the tour.

I agree with both sentiments. The weather took its course on those poor stages and did no favors to the designers who really made that come alive on film.
The plane crash though.... What could really go there? The industry loves having easy access to a plane crash set without paying for it so I know that’s a reason to keep it around longer. What could go in whovilles place? They both need solid replacements to beef up that last leg of the tour.
Tram experiences seem eminent, but dropping the crashed 747 is really going to be hard to rectify. Super popular part of the tour, even started stopping the tram so you could take pics.

Nintendo doesn’t seem to make any sense as a tram experience, as Universal and Nintendo aren’t involved in any prior film works. That being said, with the new Mario movie coming out of Illumination, could be cool to see a Mario inclusion on the tram in some capacity.

Nintendo will not have any element on a Studio Tour segment, unless if on the screens as part of a montage of Illumination after the Mario Film's release.

Honestly, I'd just flatten the War of The World Sets, move the Bates Motel/Psycho House set's elsewhere (or remove them, as they aren't even the original Bates Motel/Psycho House) and just keep the area primed for future use.

Nintendo will not have any element on a Studio Tour segment, unless if on the screens as part of a montage of Illumination after the Mario Film's release.

Honestly, I'd just flatten the War of The World Sets, move the Bates Motel/Psycho House set's elsewhere (or remove them, as they aren't even the original Bates Motel/Psycho House) and just keep the area primed for future use.
I hope Universal does this, its a good chuck of land being used for really nothing now. Yes i get it people like seeing the plane but it's not bring people in. It could easily be another land added to the park and heck maybe even more.

As much as I love the Bates Motel/Psycho House sets for their design, and their current spot on the tour does capture the placemaking of the original sets, I wouldn’t be so opposed to them making a move on the lot. I’m glad to hear others here think that as well. I wonder where in the lot they could be relocated, although, with the current state of the studio.

A thought/question for y’all: We all know Universal has been trying to update USH for a few years now, to be more attractive for younger crowds (maybe 6-12 kind of demographic), and have made so many leaps to do so. I wonder if anything for that demo will be added to the studio tour. When I was that age, the magic of moviemaking was enough to get me on the tour (sometimes twice a day), even though there technically wasn’t much for my age group to enjoy. The only things kids might recognize these days was whoville, but with the new grinch from illumination kind of replacing the Jim Carrey version, even that wouldn’t make sense to excite children. Anybody wonder if Uni might add something to the tour that kids might enjoy? It just seems odd to build the DM mini land, Harry Potter, SLOP and SNW to satisfy the younger guests, but not add an experience catered to them on the tour like you are saying about Nintendo. Thoughts on this?

Last edited: