Studio Tour | Page 50 | Inside Universal Forums

Studio Tour

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I'm all for the removal of the Studio Tour provided that USH build a total of two theme parks and a resort. But you have to explain to the general public why you think removing a landmark attraction from the park is a good idea. I remember when USH announced it would consider charging people to go on the Studio Tour, it was widely criticized by theme park fans. The Studio Tour is one of the major reasons why people go to the park and is an iconic landmark attraction and given USH's limited amount of space (unless the Golf Course is purchased), I don't think we should expect something new in this decade.

I think the key factor that comes down to the subject, comes to as you said: how they approach the matter of removing the Studio Tour. Or rather...making an option to give people that, outside of the park.

USH's original identity, relied on the tour. And while it's still a large piece of what the park is, it's only a piece of the puzzle. Now you have multiple major IP's that captivate millions of people, being added or enhanced for this park, with Potter and Nintendo leading that charge. I think once the time comes on the subject of the Studio Tour's removal, that they will be transparent and blatant about what they will do to continue preserving the history of the park, while looking to expand and invest into the property, so the parks generate profits on par, or above the Studio property.

Ideally, I think the best option is to use the VIP trolleys, and do a enhanced VIP tour, that works similar to what's offered now, but goes much more in-depth on the behind the scenes and to go into buildings that they wouldn't often allow people to go into. Would it be another upcharge, like Sony/WB/Paramount? Yes. But it would keep the tradition in some shape or form.

Would also allow the studio to take Earthquake's property for a new soundstage as-well, when you think about it.

Reactions: Ron101
So if I were the head honcho of USH calling the shots as to what stays or goes, here is what I would do:

-Move the tram loading area to the lot by the Curious George parking structure (where they're building the HHN houses right now) and treat it as the "second gate". Of course for the AP holders, it'd be free real estate (lol). While doing so, I would make the following adjustments to push it as a "new experience":
-No more Fallon. We would get new tram hosts for every experience. Have back up celebrities ready just in case they get canceled.
-King Kong 360 would be bulldozed. Gone. Reduced to atoms. Meanwhile, Collapsing Bridge would be restored.
-Earthquake and Jaws would stay. Those are classics. Psycho sets would also remain.
-Supercharged would be torn down and replaced by a Godzilla Vs Kong attraction.
-The new tram plaza would either have Special Effects Stage 3.0 or a copy + paste of the Bourne Stuntacular. This would basically be the place to dump the "Behind the scenes" attractions the tourists love and the locals hate. Keep that boring crap out of USH.
-Bonus proposal: Remember that skyway to the Hollywood sign that Warner Bros was interested in building? Well if USH wins the bid and ever gets the ok to resurrect that project, I would make it part of the "Studio experience" as part of the Studio Tour.

Now for the theme park:
-Use the current tram plaza for an alternate "How to Train Your Dragon" Land. We would still get the Gerstlauer Sky Flys and the flying simulator the Epic Universe one is getting. Though the biggest difference is that I would have a Tarron-calibur coaster that would rip through the land. That way, the space is maximized for a whole land and we finally get a proper coaster. Although plopping Hagrid's there would not be a bad option for me, but it would this would probably be the best possible choice.
-Falls Lake/WotW would be home to a "Disney Forward"-style expansion with Potter. Have the Hogwarts Express drop people off here for us to have a completely indoor Diagon Alley to seal off the noise. Maaaaaybe there would be a Ministry of Magic expansion down the line.
-The lower lot expansion that would've been used for the new tram loading will now be for Monsters land.

Boom. There you go. My ultimate masterplan for USH.

So if I were the head honcho of USH calling the shots as to what stays or goes, here is what I would do:

-Move the tram loading area to the lot by the Curious George parking structure (where they're building the HHN houses right now) and treat it as the "second gate". Of course for the AP holders, it'd be free real estate (lol). While doing so, I would make the following adjustments to push it as a "new experience":
-No more Fallon. We would get new tram hosts for every experience.
-King Kong 360 would be bulldozed. Gone. Reduced to atoms. Meanwhile, Collapsing Bridge would be restored.
-Earthquake and Jaws would stay. Those are classics. Psycho sets would also remain.
-Supercharged would be torn down and replaced by a Godzilla Vs Kong attraction.
-Bonus proposal: Remember that skyway to the Hollywood sign that Warner Bros was interested in building? Well if USH wins the bid and ever gets the ok to resurrect that project, I would make it part of the "Studio experience" as part of the Studio Tour.

Now for the theme park:
-Use the current tram plaza for an alternate "How to Train Your Dragon" Land. We would still get the Gerstlauer Sky Flys and the flying simulator the Epic Universe one is getting. Though the biggest difference is that I would have a Tarron-calibur coaster that would rip through the land. That way, the space is maximized for a whole land and we finally get a proper coaster. Although plopping Hagrid's there would not be a bad option for me, but it would this would probably be the best possible choice.
-Falls Lake/WotW would be home to a "Disney Forward"-style expansion with Potter. Have the Hogwarts Express drop people off here for us to have a completely indoor Diagon Alley to seal off the noise. Maaaaaybe there would be a Ministry of Magic expansion down the line.
-The lower lot expansion that would've been used for the new tram loading will now be for Monsters land.

Boom. There you go. My ultimate masterplan for USH.

My masterplan would differ from yours, though it wouldn't be surprising. ;)

Studio Tour/Backlot/Front Lot [Studio]
- Studio Tour would be similarly separated as a "second" gate..however, it would not use the electric trams. It'd use the VIP Trolleys
- WoTW, Psycho/Bates Motel Sets, Falls Lake, Supercharged, the two Cabins, and the Curious George sets would be torn down, reduced to atoms for a second gate.
- ET and Jurassic Parking would get expansions to offset the loss of the parking spaces
- VIP tour now gets a separate up-charge experience, with more BTS elements and sequences
- Earthquake would be torn down for an indoor Picture Cars exhibit, featuring cars and vehicles from multiple franchises (similar to the WB Batman Car exhibit).
- Kong 360 is partially torn down, to retrofit and upgrade it to be the worlds tallest soundstage.

Hotel
- Dedicated Hotel tower would be built at the south eastern edge, bordering on WC Fields Dr/Highway 101.
- Tower hotel, similar to the Fung Lum tower proposed
- Parking would be connected to the ET Parking Structure
- Exclusive Park Entrance for the Second Gate

Second Gate/Universal Studios Hollywood
- Entirely indoors, to reduce sound for the hillside homes.
- The entrance would be similar to WB World Abu Dhabi, with an exterior backdrop while going inside
- Current Tram Plaza would give a Potter expansion, a modified version of Hagrids that uses the hillside as an element.
- Revenge of The Mummy, Stage 31 plot, and the adjacent soundstages bordering that and Transformers would be used for a multi-year expansion over the course of time.

For real would they pay the money to build lands indoors? Has any US theme park ever done this?

Out of any parks that have done indoor parks, there have been two in the US, with Mall of America and American Dream's Nick Universe.

However, Warner Bros alongside a collaboration with Thinkwell; made the first major global theme park that'd be completely indoors, with Warner Bros. Abu Dhabi. It's a thought that I've had for a while, and with the element of hindsight for Hollywood, and the proximity to the hills; one would have to assume they'd want to minimalize the sound radius of the park. Going completely indoors, while a risk, would be the best solution in my own opinion.

Out of any parks that have done indoor parks, there have been two in the US, with Mall of America and American Dream's Nick Universe.

However, Warner Bros alongside a collaboration with Thinkwell; made the first major global theme park that'd be completely indoors, with Warner Bros. Abu Dhabi. It's a thought that I've had for a while, and with the element of hindsight for Hollywood, and the proximity to the hills; one would have to assume they'd want to minimalize the sound radius of the park. Going completely indoors, while a risk, would be the best solution in my own opinion.
I'm not even joking, what about tress/large walls? Like make some large sound proffwalls and trees on the hill? They do that for Freeways and would be much cheaper

I'm not even joking, what about tress/large walls? Like make some large sound proffwalls and trees on the hill? They do that for Freeways and would be much cheaper

And in the process of doing that, you block the valley from those who live in the hillside.

I think the ultimate goal of a second gate, would be to ensure that they can protect the views of the valley alongside ensuring that they can work something that doesn't cause noise, like how you can hear sounds from USH properly into Studio City. It would also, allow them to hide elements of theming that'd make the neighbors file complaints.

I get this started with discussion about the future of the tour, but let's redirect the conversation to what's currently happening with it versus armchair imagineering.

Reactions: Rideguy70
Where are you guys getting this idea they’re able to fit another theme park within the space occupied by the Studio Tour? I can’t imagine that being a very large park. Plus, the property’s still a working studio looking to make money on filming. For example, I heard the Superstore facade is being replaced by new soundstages. With the way USH is expanding, I don’t see them touching the Studio Tour other than relocating the entrance.

I probably missed this being clarified when we all first noticed it, but since I went on Tuesday, it's fresh on my mind: Does anyone know the specifics of why Agent Stinkpickle's voice has been dubbed over now for the past few years in the Supercharged dance scene? I've always wondered since it first happened - and boy is it noticeable - so figured I'd ask out of sheer curiosity.

So, as an albeit interesting thing that we have photos of thanks to Jonathan--they're cutting the trees down in Falls Lake. Furthermore, as discovered on the TPS Discord server..a permit was filed.

Trying to find the permit, as we had talked about it on the TPS server and was curious to which side of the street they'd be going for.

Edit: A fellow Moderator of the server helped link back to what I had posted initially--it seems that this project will be to modify that of the Project Falls Lake Basecamp Expansion, altering it for future needs of the camp itself. It's seemingly not related to an upcoming production so-far (Thank you Corv!)

1620530379023.png

Last edited:
I saw on my last few visits they are putting in electricical near rhe tram loading station. Also doing electrical work at the back of Forbidden Journey. Not sure if this is general maintenance or part of a bigger project. Also those solar panels by the tram are in poor shape. Lots are dirty or covered by bushes which makes thise panels less efficient.
EDIT: Thinking about it maybe it’s infrastructure for recharging the green battery trams seen just sitting by falls lake.

7DDE96F5-04A6-4BAB-B22C-A1480B573307.jpeg
3A539661-0FEA-498C-8D0B-0544BFEE8524.jpeg

Last edited:
noticed these wireless charging stations so it looks like they are ready for the electric trams. D8FD3BDD-77FD-4E54-8B1F-1B659B382469.jpeg
I saw on my last few visits they are putting in electricical near rhe tram loading station. Also doing electrical work at the back of Forbidden Journey. Not sure if this is general maintenance or part of a bigger project. Also those solar panels by the tram are in poor shape. Lots are dirty or covered by bushes which makes thise panels less efficient.
EDIT: Thinking about it maybe it’s infrastructure for recharging the green battery trams seen just sitting by falls lake.

View attachment 14511
View attachment 14512

I’ve really enjoyed my two trips on the studio tour. My visit yesterday had an amazing tour guide and I sat in the front car.

I had the misfortune of experiencing F&F. Woaf. The projector wasn’t working right and the whole experience is bad bad. Our tour guide set it up in an interesting way…she said “We’ve been talking about movies, let’s be part of one now,” and each section was a “scene” we were in. She tried her best but still F&F just sucks and the Studio Tour’s better without it.

I’ve really enjoyed my two trips on the studio tour. My visit yesterday had an amazing tour guide and I sat in the front car.

I had the misfortune of experiencing F&F. Woaf. The projector wasn’t working right and the whole experience is bad bad. Our tour guide set it up in an interesting way…she said “We’ve been talking about movies, let’s be part of one now,” and each section was a “scene” we were in. She tried her best but still F&F just sucks and the Studio Tour’s better without it.
I know we can't but I'd kill to cut that part of the ride and redo the bridge next to Kong to be have the AA like in Florida and make that area into a full attraction on the tram....vs FF.

Like I get it its a movie a lot of people see...but it just sucks on the tram tour...most people on the tram are people who likes real films (yeah shots fired)