Super Nintendo World (Osaka) | Page 213 | Inside Universal Forums

Super Nintendo World (Osaka)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Hey guys long time reader, seldom poster. I just came back form a Japan Trip and would like to share my opinions on the land. For context I am more of a Universal fan than Disney and love rides, specially on the thrill side. Usually don’t do shows and have never purchased an interactive wand although I have used one with my niece.

The land
It is amazing and honestly mind blowing, and I did this after Disney Sea. Entering the land for the first time can only compare to the first time I entered Hogsmeade. It is vibrant and full of kinetic energy it overwhelms the senses. It will definitely be a hit on the same level or even dare I say bigger than potter. It is also very very very small, specially in the upper floor. Works great for the immersive experience but will definitely need time access for a really long time. As opposed to the potter areas even though the outside is small and crammed, shops restaurants, bathrooms game areas and rides are big and roomy. There is a lot of stairs, feels like going up 2 or 3 floors.

Interactive elements
Best part of the land hands down. I don’t usually enjoy interactive elements but slapping on a power up band and going on a quest for the keys and coins was the most fun we had. It really makes you feel like you are inside a video game. We did all 5 challenges and the boss battle and competed to collect the most coins. Spent hours on the land just doing this which I never do. Will definitely be a hit with families, but doesn’t feel “made for kids” just like the Mario games they are fun but some can be challenging. Saw a lot of people not get the pow key or be turned away from bowser jr for not having 3 keys.

Mario Kart
Amazing fun ride definitely a big E Ticket but not what most are expecting. Impressive and very very re-rideable. The Que is fantastic and the instructions for the ride easy to understand. It still takes a while from when you get your helmet to the loading station. The stairs down to the load are huge. The kart feels big and not too restrictive for lager guests. The AR gogles are made of plastic and yes they are full of fingerprints. The experience like many have said is akin to Toy Story Mania, Men in black and other shooters. The AR is smooth and works very well but is very distracting you may have a hard time seeing the sets. This is both bad and good because even though you can’t see every detail the screens, sets and AR mix SEAMLESSLY. Even more so than spidey. If I hadn’t seen the POV videos I would have thought many screens were sets with AR on top of them. As for the game part it is sonewhat complicated to understand the shoot at what you are looking dynamic and drift at the same time. takes some time to understand but not in a frustrating kind of way, more like “I want to ride again to get better” way. The kart does seem to move based on if you drift at the correct time, on our second ride we got a kart with the back seats not working and we were able to feel the kart slightly turn if we hit the arrows just right, but maybe it was just my imagination. Rainbow road scene is the best. Definitely can’t judge this ride form the POVs it’s like watching a recording of a VR headset. Loved it and most people seemed to do so too.

Yoshi
Got to ride at night and the views of the land are breathtaking. You can really appreciate a lot of details from the land and I guess that is it’s purpose. The game element is very basic but it will be great for small children. It is simply adorable.

Overall this land feels like a Hit, fresh new and way more immersive and interactive that galaxy’s edge or other recent additions. It can only compare to Diagon Alley or Hogsmeade.It will blow people’s minds (general public no nitpicking fans) and sell merch like pancakes. If all of Epic Universe is done this well, it will give Disney Sea a run for its money.

Great report! Thanks for the insight.

I'm going on Friday the 16th, I was just wondering, how hard is it to get into Kinopio's Cafe? I have a general idea of how to get into SNW itself but don't really know anything about how to get into the restaurant.

Just curiously asking a opinion for everyone that wants to.
Would Mario Kart have worked better as a ride IF they modeled it much more closely to Test Track at Disney's Epcot.
Just the idea of being in a car on a track and it accelerates really fast and flies around the turns then the car "slips" on a banana and wiggles and slams to a stop.
Then continues going again, until it hits a turtle shell. I bet that could be fun?

Would Mario Kart have worked better as a ride IF they modeled it much more closely to Test Track at Disney's Epcot.
Just the idea of being in a car on a track and it accelerates really fast and flies around the turns then the car "slips" on a banana and wiggles and slams to a stop.
Then continues going again, until it hits a turtle shell. I bet that could be fun?
I think they deliberately wanted to avoid comparisons to Test Track at Epcot and Radiator Springs Racers and California Adventure. For what could be one of their flagship IPs at the parks, it's understandable that they'd want to try something very unique that can't be found anywhere else. I think something similar to Test Track could've worked, but it was wise to focus this attraction more towards younger children, and incorporate the interactive elements the land was built around.

Nintendo wanted a family friendly ride, not a fast one.

I basically always imagined it like that but with spinning and drifting. Excited to ride it eventually but that'll always be in the back of my head.

Sooo more importantly, how was the merch looking? They've always had great JAWS Ride merch (something Orlando failed to deliver)
I won't lie I thought the merch was just OKAY. I'm a bit disappointed because here in Japan they don't have any shirts larger than a XL (I'm a 2XL) and it's made it a little harder to buy stuff because I'm mostly into t-shirts. On this trip I've been now to TDL, TDS and USJ all of which I found the merch to be pretty lacking. But there was some cute Jaws stuff. I bought a Jaws coin purse, tiny Jaws plushie and a USJ Jaws cup.

Reactions: Wesker69
I won't lie I thought the merch was just OKAY. On this trip I've been now to TDL, TDS and USJ all of which I found the merch to be pretty lacking.
That's what I've heard & feared. Disappointed to get it double confirmed :sob: I feel like it's a post-apocalypse issue at the parks. I have a "hanging shark" JAWS plush, a 20th anniversary Jaws mini fig, & Jaws Ride hand towels :eyes:

It seems like NintendoLand is the reboot of Japan's merch, especially with how much Mario Kart has

Reactions: saint.piss