Super Nintendo World (Osaka) | Page 212 | Inside Universal Forums

Super Nintendo World (Osaka)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I will say that no matter the park, his opinions def fall under the category of what the die-hards think and not what the GP thinks. I'm *not* saying that the GP liking something makes it good.

In other words, I think Mario Kart was the wrong IP choice--I just don't think it's possible to create the MK ride fans want--but I know the GP will eat the ride up as is.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pacific
I will say that no matter the park, his opinions def fall under the category of what the die-hards think and not what the GP thinks. I'm *not* saying that the GP liking something makes it good, I'm just super cynical like that.
Well he did admit that Mario Kart will be popular no matter what. It's weird seeing that tweet he made because he came across as neutral in the video. He actually mentioned GP in the video as he thinks they're going to be frustrated by the complexity of the game element once it rolls into the states.

It's kind of a wait and see ordeal I feel, but I can see it happening. He thinks the dark ride element is great though.

Also, about that tweet. He said that nearly a decade though to be fair. People change and that guy who made that tweet might not be the same guy who made that video.

Last edited:
Also, about that tweet. He said that nearly a decade though to be fair. People change and that guy who made that tweet might not be the same guy who made that video.

He keeps going until 2020... coincidentally, when he opens the Uni site... But that's enough of that matter. I'm open to different opinions and discussing them but just felt that needed to be said.

I think people are saying that we shouldn't really take someone's opinion seriously when they have been known to openly not like Universal - one who also OWNS A THEME PARK SITE and isn't a "theme park fan."

I'm not telling other people what to think, just that I'm not really taking his word for much.

Whoops, I didn't know who this Tom fellow was until today...

He made great points but now I know he's kind of a butt.

C o n f l i c t i o n

Don't worry about it, just ride it and form your own opinion (whether it confirms your priors or not).

The real problem is that there DEFINITELY should be a dark ride related to something Mario, but what?
You have Yoshi as a slow-moving dark ride, but it doesn't exactly scratch the itch as there aren't many in-door show scenes as we expected.
I think the best thing they could have done is just make a generic Mario overworld dark ride in the style of NEW! Super Mario Bros on the Wii as that world is stunning, you could argue that Mario Galaxy would have been a good fit as well.

Mario Kart could have been a cart racer with new innovative technology, but the approach was more of a fast-paced dark ride which is ok in the end (at least in my opinion).

Mario Kart could have been a cart racer with new innovative technology

I doubt the technology could handle the speed people wanted. "So don't bother with AR," you say? There's no way people would've liked a MK ride without riding alongside characters and collecting/throwing things...

I doubt the technology could handle the speed people wanted. "So don't bother with AR," you say? There's no way people would've liked a MK ride without riding alongside characters and collecting/throwing things...
I think that actually maybe it, all has to do with the sensation of collecting the items.
Maybe its more that people wanted to play again a hypo-realistic version of the game and use the items?
It probably has more to do with that people wanted more interaction, and more immersion inside Mario Kart, they didn't really get that here besides set pieces.

Also, we have to think about the demographic this was built for, some kids don't do really well with fast rides anyway. They took the safe route so it could be inclusive for anyone wanting to ride.
That I would say is respectable and one of the reasons why the ride is the way it is.

The real problem is that there DEFINITELY should be a dark ride related to something Mario, but what?
You have Yoshi as a slow-moving dark ride, but it doesn't exactly scratch the itch as there aren't many in-door show scenes as we expected.
I think the best thing they could have done is just make a generic Mario overworld dark ride in the style of NEW! Super Mario Bros on the Wii as that world is stunning, you could argue that Mario Galaxy would have been a good fit as well.

Mario Kart could have been a cart racer with new innovative technology, but the approach was more of a fast-paced dark ride which is ok in the end (at least in my opinion).
Hard disagree. The land itself and the interactive games are the best way to represent the Mario platformer games, it doesn’t make sense for them to be represented by a ride. Mariokart will obviously always be the most natural attraction fit, even if you argue the final product’s effectiveness.

Reactions: frank_1991_
Hard disagree. The land itself and the interactive games are the best way to represent the Mario platformer games, it doesn’t make sense for them to be represented by a ride. Mariokart will obviously always be the most natural attraction fit, even if you argue the final product’s effectiveness.

I'm looking forward to the games more than anything, I agree that the mini-games are the best representation of the Mario games. I would love to see the concept expanded. An indoor playground with multiple games would be great in the Florida summer.

Never said that Mario Kart wasn’t the most natural fit for the lands attraction, nor did I say that a ride was the best way to depict Mario either.

More so that if there has to be a dark ride it shouldn’t of been Mario Kart, but it’s ok for what it is.

Reactions: OhHaiInternet95
Hey guys long time reader, seldom poster. I just came back form a Japan Trip and would like to share my opinions on the land. For context I am more of a Universal fan than Disney and love rides, specially on the thrill side. Usually don’t do shows and have never purchased an interactive wand although I have used one with my niece.

The land
It is amazing and honestly mind blowing, and I did this after Disney Sea. Entering the land for the first time can only compare to the first time I entered Hogsmeade. It is vibrant and full of kinetic energy it overwhelms the senses. It will definitely be a hit on the same level or even dare I say bigger than potter. It is also very very very small, specially in the upper floor. Works great for the immersive experience but will definitely need time access for a really long time. As opposed to the potter areas even though the outside is small and crammed, shops restaurants, bathrooms game areas and rides are big and roomy. There is a lot of stairs, feels like going up 2 or 3 floors.

Interactive elements
Best part of the land hands down. I don’t usually enjoy interactive elements but slapping on a power up band and going on a quest for the keys and coins was the most fun we had. It really makes you feel like you are inside a video game. We did all 5 challenges and the boss battle and competed to collect the most coins. Spent hours on the land just doing this which I never do. Will definitely be a hit with families, but doesn’t feel “made for kids” just like the Mario games they are fun but some can be challenging. Saw a lot of people not get the pow key or be turned away from bowser jr for not having 3 keys.

Mario Kart
Amazing fun ride definitely a big E Ticket but not what most are expecting. Impressive and very very re-rideable. The Que is fantastic and the instructions for the ride easy to understand. It still takes a while from when you get your helmet to the loading station. The stairs down to the load are huge. The kart feels big and not too restrictive for lager guests. The AR gogles are made of plastic and yes they are full of fingerprints. The experience like many have said is akin to Toy Story Mania, Men in black and other shooters. The AR is smooth and works very well but is very distracting you may have a hard time seeing the sets. This is both bad and good because even though you can’t see every detail the screens, sets and AR mix SEAMLESSLY. Even more so than spidey. If I hadn’t seen the POV videos I would have thought many screens were sets with AR on top of them. As for the game part it is sonewhat complicated to understand the shoot at what you are looking dynamic and drift at the same time. takes some time to understand but not in a frustrating kind of way, more like “I want to ride again to get better” way. The kart does seem to move based on if you drift at the correct time, on our second ride we got a kart with the back seats not working and we were able to feel the kart slightly turn if we hit the arrows just right, but maybe it was just my imagination. Rainbow road scene is the best. Definitely can’t judge this ride form the POVs it’s like watching a recording of a VR headset. Loved it and most people seemed to do so too.

Yoshi
Got to ride at night and the views of the land are breathtaking. You can really appreciate a lot of details from the land and I guess that is it’s purpose. The game element is very basic but it will be great for small children. It is simply adorable.

Overall this land feels like a Hit, fresh new and way more immersive and interactive that galaxy’s edge or other recent additions. It can only compare to Diagon Alley or Hogsmeade.It will blow people’s minds (general public no nitpicking fans) and sell merch like pancakes. If all of Epic Universe is done this well, it will give Disney Sea a run for its money.

Hey guys long time reader, seldom poster. I just came back form a Japan Trip and would like to share my opinions on the land. For context I am more of a Universal fan than Disney and love rides, specially on the thrill side. Usually don’t do shows and have never purchased an interactive wand although I have used one with my niece.

The land
It is amazing and honestly mind blowing, and I did this after Disney Sea. Entering the land for the first time can only compare to the first time I entered Hogsmeade. It is vibrant and full of kinetic energy it overwhelms the senses. It will definitely be a hit on the same level or even dare I say bigger than potter. It is also very very very small, specially in the upper floor. Works great for the immersive experience but will definitely need time access for a really long time. As opposed to the potter areas even though the outside is small and crammed, shops restaurants, bathrooms game areas and rides are big and roomy. There is a lot of stairs, feels like going up 2 or 3 floors.

Interactive elements
Best part of the land hands down. I don’t usually enjoy interactive elements but slapping on a power up band and going on a quest for the keys and coins was the most fun we had. It really makes you feel like you are inside a video game. We did all 5 challenges and the boss battle and competed to collect the most coins. Spent hours on the land just doing this which I never do. Will definitely be a hit with families, but doesn’t feel “made for kids” just like the Mario games they are fun but some can be challenging. Saw a lot of people not get the pow key or be turned away from bowser jr for not having 3 keys.

Mario Kart
Amazing fun ride definitely a big E Ticket but not what most are expecting. Impressive and very very re-rideable. The Que is fantastic and the instructions for the ride easy to understand. It still takes a while from when you get your helmet to the loading station. The stairs down to the load are huge. The kart feels big and not too restrictive for lager guests. The AR gogles are made of plastic and yes they are full of fingerprints. The experience like many have said is akin to Toy Story Mania, Men in black and other shooters. The AR is smooth and works very well but is very distracting you may have a hard time seeing the sets. This is both bad and good because even though you can’t see every detail the screens, sets and AR mix SEAMLESSLY. Even more so than spidey. If I hadn’t seen the POV videos I would have thought many screens were sets with AR on top of them. As for the game part it is sonewhat complicated to understand the shoot at what you are looking dynamic and drift at the same time. takes some time to understand but not in a frustrating kind of way, more like “I want to ride again to get better” way. The kart does seem to move based on if you drift at the correct time, on our second ride we got a kart with the back seats not working and we were able to feel the kart slightly turn if we hit the arrows just right, but maybe it was just my imagination. Rainbow road scene is the best. Definitely can’t judge this ride form the POVs it’s like watching a recording of a VR headset. Loved it and most people seemed to do so too.

Yoshi
Got to ride at night and the views of the land are breathtaking. You can really appreciate a lot of details from the land and I guess that is it’s purpose. The game element is very basic but it will be great for small children. It is simply adorable.

Overall this land feels like a Hit, fresh new and way more immersive and interactive that galaxy’s edge or other recent additions. It can only compare to Diagon Alley or Hogsmeade.It will blow people’s minds (general public no nitpicking fans) and sell merch like pancakes. If all of Epic Universe is done this well, it will give Disney Sea a run for its money.
Thanks for your thoughts!