Super Nintendo World (Osaka) | Page 151 | Inside Universal Forums

Super Nintendo World (Osaka)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
It's only a small portion of the ride so idk if we should really be forming any opinions about the experience yet..

I'm going to choose my words wisely as I know people really enjoyed that POV (and I'm probably a part of the minority who thought it was quintessential Universal screen buffoonery....)

The AR is insane. I honestly can't believe that they made it work and its so seamless... From watching the leak, it's pretty much confirmed to be a Toy Story Mania on crack. It was so nice seeing Wendy (she's my favorite koopaling).

Mario transitioning from AR to on screen was mind blowing I still cannot get over it.

The giant arrows interrupting the game play are a bit jarring though.. does anybody know why they're there?
To answer your last question, probably a indicator of which way you're supposed to be turning.

The AR looks insane. It looks very fun and chaotic although we've only seen the last minute of the ride.

I heard that the AR is supposed to be overwhelming at the beginning so that means this is going to be crazy. Also the transition at the end with Mario going into the screen shouldn't impress me as much as it does, but it does.

have to say, I'm not really into the shooting gallery dark rides, but this looks like a blast. Now the long wait begins before I can actually ride it in FL.

Its still on You Tube. Just type in "Mario Kart", go to the search filter, select sort by Upload date and then scroll down until you eventually see it.

Or just type in "Mario Kart ride".

Reactions: Michael S
Lack of physical sets is disappointing, but also seems appropriate for the ride. The AR is definitely impressive. The Yoshi rides helped temper my expectations a bit on the quality of the physical elements, so I'm ok with it.

Lack of physical sets is disappointing, but also seems appropriate for the ride. The AR is definitely impressive. The Yoshi rides helped temper my expectations a bit on the quality of the physical elements, so I'm ok with it.
This is only 1 scene essentially, I wouldn’t rule out more physical elements.

When it comes to this whole debate of physical vs digital sets, it needs to be separated into different categories thrill vs family. When it comes to thrill rides you aren't going to have large detailed sets with animatronics. These rides need speed and sudden movement or at least the illusion. When it comes to achieving this you either have to use screens or you end up in a large dark building. My point being if you wanted a all physical ride you would end up with a ride that doesn't feel very fast and frantic like Mario kart franchise does. A large animatronic would cause issues with the sense of speed, as to invest in such an animatronic would be costly so it would have to be the focus of that portion of the ride and in turn would break the illusion as you would notice that you are not approaching that character at a high rate of speed. To make thrill rides with lots of physical attributes is difficult and the only way can think of it being done well would be with a lot of nature theming areas (hagrid - forest, big thunder/everst - mountain, CARS - canyon).

Large Animatronic Hagrid waves Hi. Which I know you made passing reference to, but it can be done.

Large Animatronic Hagrid waves Hi. Which I know you made passing reference to, but it can be done.
Yeah, but they did create a slow section for it which would not work well for mario kart. Also not sure how it would work if you were going from simulated speed to a static figure. It is possible i guess to do it, but I would never expect large detailed animated figures on thrill based attractions

Reactions: Frogki and Legacy
Yeah, but they did create a slow section for it which would not work well for mario kart. Also not sure how it would work if you were going from simulated speed to a static figure. It is possible i guess to do it, but I would never expect large detailed animated figures on thrill based attractions

Pull up to animatronic, tilt kart forward and jolt to simulate hard stop. Interact with animatronic. Rotate kart to face away from animatronic, tilt back and jolt to simulate taking off. It's doable. You can do the gringotts method too where you dive underneath when taking off again. Or they could have had animatronic in a kart that moves along with you then splits off on another track without ever needing to stop the speed simulation. They made the choices they did to fit whatever their story was and thats fine. But there's almost always ways to make it work.

Reactions: PerceptiveCoot
Not sure if people understand how AR works. You will have components in the real world, say Bowser jr. and he should be in front of the car. The area (real sets and/or projections) should be known to the system to put Bowser in the right location. Then the system needs to know the position of each head into the kart and where they are looking at. If they look at Bowsers location he should be visible. Then there is the integration with the shooting and steering on top of that for each individual guest and this goes on and on trough multiple scene's. It all needs to be done in real time (probably 4K 60fps) and in stereo (for each eye so 8 times for 1 cart). Add animation and the game mechanics and kart movement on top of that and it's astounding how they get this working in a real live environment. I'm wondering how much computerpower is needed for all ride vehicles.

Not sure if people understand how AR works. You will have components in the real world, say Bowser jr. and he should be in front of the car. The area (real sets and/or projections) should be known to the system to put Bowser in the right location. Then the system needs to know the position of each head into the kart and where they are looking at. If they look at Bowsers location he should be visible. Then there is the integration with the shooting and steering on top of that for each individual guest and this goes on and on trough multiple scene's. It all needs to be done in real time (probably 4K 60fps) and in stereo (for each eye so 8 times for 1 cart). Add animation and the game mechanics and kart movement on top of that and it's astounding how they get this working in a real live environment. I'm wondering how much computerpower is needed for all ride vehicles.

Yeah the Bowser AR seems to be on a "physical" (projection mapped but whatever) lava platform.

I'm wondering if there aren't infrared markers throughout the rooms to track the helmet location at all times. By knowing exactly where the helmet is, it should know what to put on the screen at all times, and reduces some of the need for everything to talk back and forth. At load, there could be a system start point that tells both the screens and the AR computer on the RV to begin the program. Then the screens just play through a video and and on board computer keeps reading the room to know what to show on the AR screen. The only issue would be if what happens on the screens depends on info from the AR. Obviously the end of ride scores show, but does the ride itself change?

Last edited:
Since my trip seemingly seems to be limbo, I couldn't help myself and take a peek.

For a taste of things, this looks downright stunning. At first I thought I had a idea of what was AR components and what was screens/practical etc...but then the ride slowed down and I uttered a stunned "Whhaaaa-?!". I was pleasantly proven wrong on how much they'd do with the tech, and this is just a small snippet!

Generally when a ride introduces some new tech or something, there's always a chance it can come off more as a tech demo. But this is giving me vibes of Spiderman where it feels less like a tech demo, and more of a fully fleshed out ride which also sets a high standard for that tech.

I'm very excited to eventually ride this thing, it looks like a very unique upgrade to the interactive/shooting dark ride. An if the rest of the ride is anything like what was shown, this is gonna' be one heck of a sensory overload!

Watched the Video..the ending is cool and for Sure I will enjoy riding it....but video for sure will underwhelm many

I get because of space they didn't want to make it a thrill ride...but kinda sucks its more Toy Story than....a Race.

Sure it will be fun...and maybe secrets will keep me coming back but hope most other Nintendo rides...are just rides and not worst video games. I can play Mario Kart at home...I want a Zelda ride to be able feeling like im in Hyrule and not Links Crossbow Training.

Reactions: DodgsonHere