Tenet | Page 7 | Inside Universal Forums

Tenet

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Scott Mendelson from Forbes noted that it's been third on Disney+ behind The Simpsons and Cinderella 2015 and anecdotally heard sales aren't meeting Disney's expectations. It also did horrible in the countries it opened in this weekend. Disney will probably hide domestic revenue for as long as they can, because Mulan's losses are looking pretty massive.

I'm hoping to catch Tenet in IMAX with a friend sometime this week. Weekend sales haven't been too busy by me but I'd rather be in an audience with fewer than 10-15 people if possible.
I wouldn't read too much into the Disney+ trending section since it's the worst trending section on any streaming service as far as being updated (it only is updated a few times per week, last weekend it wasn't updated at all despite the new Phineas & Ferb movie coming out). That said, I wouldn't be surprised if it does poor. Of course, this is a $200M movie that was going to lose money anyway. They did spend a decent amount on marketing, but I have to think they'll at least be happy they tried this model out so they know if it is works going forward or not.

Scott Mendelson from Forbes noted that it's been third on Disney+ behind The Simpsons and Cinderella 2015 and anecdotally heard sales aren't meeting Disney's expectations. It also did horrible in the countries it opened in this weekend. Disney will probably hide domestic revenue for as long as they can, because Mulan's losses are looking pretty massive.

I'm hoping to catch Tenet in IMAX with a friend sometime this week. Weekend sales haven't been too busy by me but I'd rather be in an audience with fewer than 10-15 people if possible.

It did better than Tenet in most markets where it opened. It hasn't opened in China yet - though early user reviews from China seem to HATE the movie, so it's gonna be interesting to watch.

Disney+ isn't in all countries yet, so it doesn't necessarily have to do better than Tenet's WW, just hold the fort in the countries where D+ is available (and remember: WB gets 63% of the theatrical grosses in the US, whereas Disney gets ~100%, so they don't have to make as much money to get the same amount of revenue).

Reactions: ThemeParks4Life
It did better than Tenet in most markets where it opened. It hasn't opened in China yet - though early user reviews from China seem to HATE the movie, so it's gonna be interesting to watch.

Disney+ isn't in all countries yet, so it doesn't necessarily have to do better than Tenet's WW, just hold the fort in the countries where D+ is available (and remember: WB gets 63% of the theatrical grosses in the US, whereas Disney gets ~100%, so they don't have to make as much money to get the same amount of revenue).
Yeah, Mulan only opened in 9 markets, none of them large all that large I think.

Also worth noting that Nolan gets 20% of Tenet’s overall box office.

Scott Mendelson from Forbes noted that it's been third on Disney+ behind The Simpsons and Cinderella 2015...
Just to circle back to this, I still think Disney+’s trending section sucks, but Mulan is now #1.

Reactions: ThemeParks4Life
I really enjoyed the movie. Saw it twice last week, once in imax with laser and once in dolby. Imax audio was vocally drowned out but the bass in dolby was actually almost unbearable at times. I easily have it in his top 5 (inception, interstellar, dark knight, prestiege, and this). I actually liked it a little less on the second view because I picked up on a lot of things that went against the established rules of the movie. I would expand upon that if anyone wants to further discuss the plot.

And regarding the impresonal nature of the characters...

I feel like the impersonal nature could partially be on purpose since we are following the protagonist. From his perspective he is the greenhorn while everyone else he is interacting with already knows him and therefore can kinda just go with the flow and they don't need to develop a relationship in the conventional sense that we would expect in a movie.

Also a movie for y'all to watch if you liked or found the plot of this movie interesting.

Primer. I believe it is still on netflix. That one you need to read a dissertation on after but is one of the best/most comprehensive use of time travel that kinda works similarly to tenet without most the issues I have with tenet

Last edited:
I saw this yesterday and im going to have to go against popular opinion on here... unfortunately... I thought it was terrible. the basis was just way too gimmicky, wasn't impressed with the acting. It was just not an entertaining story for me at all.

Regal closing the IMAX motivated me to see this finally. (It helped that I think a grand total of 8 tickets were sold.)

Three acts of the best 007 movie since Connery -- albeit with an American Bond and a British Felix Leiter. Nolan was born to direct a Bond movie, and Kenneth Branaugh was born to play a Bond villain. As a Gen Xer, it was a reminder that oh yeah, he was supposed to be the greatest actor of our generation.

But then the completely unnecessary "fourth" act leans into the convoluted sci fi plot and lost me. Could've ended 30 minutes earlier and been satisfying emotionally with a cool twist. Instead it goes off the rails with the worst of Nolan's tendencies unchecked.

I watched it this morning.

It was a mess but I thoroughly enjoyed it more than I expected. I probably would have enjoyed it slightly more if I had seen it in a cinema.

I watched it this morning.

It was a mess but I thoroughly enjoyed it more than I expected. I probably would have enjoyed it slightly more if I had seen it in a cinema.

I think the cinema controversy drove a lot of the negative reaction. But yes, even as a Nolan-stan, I feel like he does need to work on character development.

Currently half-way through. Very convoluted and if you asked me to name one character so far I couldn't give you an answer. I am enjoying it so far regardless.