Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Terminator: Dark Fate (2019)

Saying it’s the best sequel since T2 only says it’s not terrible. It can still be bad.

This is a streamer for me.

Currently at 61% with 28 reviews in. Seems most just say it’s the best since T2. Which again, isn’t saying much

T2 is one of my favourite films ever, definitely in my top 3 of all time.

So, this wasn't as bad as I thought it might be. It feels like a mix of T1&2 rehashed for 2019, and thus utterly pointless, but the action was fine and I liked the characters on the whole.

I really, really did NOT like
Carl, and the fact they had a Terminator 'adopt' a family and try to live a normal life after completing his mission. That felt silly and spoiled Arnold's character for me.

7/10

It's sad to see the Terminator franchise reduced to disposable, big-budget action trash when it started out as thoughtful sci-fi action that commented on technology, our relationship with it, and how it affects us, society, and the future. To date, it's still the one film that was closest to predicting the future. Machines/technology/AI did take over our lives, but there was no war....we surrendered to it, embraced it with open arms. Technology now controls everything. There is still so much that the Terminator franchise could be used to comment on today. There is plenty of potential for rich, meaningful commentary to come out of those films. Instead, filmmakers continue to see the franchise as nothing more than a vehicle for big-budget action set pieces and nothing more. Story/plot/world building/character development is continually ignored when the attention to those things was what set T1 and T2 apart. One of the coolest things about Terminator was the built-in mythology Cameron and crew worked so hard to create. It was all tossed to the side in Dark Fate. The times have evolved, it's time Terminator evolved with it (Also, I'm ready for a different story besides Terminator is sent to the past to kill someone, someone else is sent back to protect that person).

As far as Dark Fate goes: It wasn't awful. Undeniably flawed, yet entertaining.Certainly one of the better Terminator sequels. Some of the best action in any of the sequels post T2. Thought Grace, Sarah Connor, and Carl were the best parts of the film. Unfortunately, the plot is exceptionally weak and uninteresting, and it just feels like the film is trying much too hard with very little payoff. I'd give it 3 stars out of 5. Worth a watch once it is available to rent, but it isn't necessary to see it in theaters.

It's really sickening that the producers killed off John Connor not even within the first five minutes of the movie, which undermined the efforts by those trying to stop a future nuclear war in the first two Terminator movies. On top of that, many people believed it was done so they could have a female hero who was just considered another Kyle Reese/John Connor rip off. John Connor was a flagship character of the Terminator series, and killing him off like that without any actual reason is why the movie is bombing hard in the U.S.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just saw this. Overall I enjoyed it a lot. The "Carl" thing was weird, but I mean I appreciated Arnie being there in general. Finally felt like an actual sequel to T1 and T2. And I really enjoyed that our new hero was a lady! But I think I was maybe the target audience for that change... :bolt:

Just saw this. Overall I enjoyed it a lot. The "Carl" thing was weird, but I mean I appreciated Arnie being there in general. Finally felt like an actual sequel to T1 and T2. And I really enjoyed that our new hero was a lady! But I think I was maybe the target audience for that change... :bolt:

I never understood why it was such a big deal about having a female hero or lead in this.

Sarah Connor is an OG badass female.

It's really sickening that the producers killed off John Connor not even within the first five minutes of the movie, which undermined the efforts by those trying to stop a future nuclear war in the first two Terminator movies. On top of that, many people believed it was done so they could have a female hero who was just considered another Kyle Reese/John Connor rip off. John Connor was a flagship character of the Terminator series, and killing him off like that without any actual reason is why the movie is bombing hard in the U.S.

Please use Spoilers next time....

To this day, Sarah Connor and Ripley are the two most badass female protagonists of all time. And it’s not even close. Change my mind.
Dr. Laurel Weaver, Medical Examiner, later saved J and K from being eaten by The Bug. She became Agent L :rock:

Dr. Laurel Weaver, Medical Examiner, later saved J and K from being eaten by The Bug. She became Agent L :rock:

giphy.gif

I never understood why it was such a big deal about having a female hero or lead in this.

Sarah Connor is an OG badass female.

I think it was just to make it different than the other sequels (3&4)? I'm not even sure Genesis should event count as a sequel. *Shudder* Sarah is 100% totally awesome. Don't get me wrong. I would have seen the movie and enjoyed it with just her.

I'm just fairly certain that the 30 year old woman audience is what they were trying to appeal to with that change.

And so well used in the sequ…… Oh wait
That was a big mistake by the people making MIB II. I’m pretty sure the movie would’ve been more awesome with L :freak::rock:
What happened to Linda Fiorentino? Is she still acting in 2019? I could’ve sworn I saw her at the food court at the Oviedo Mall :)
She’s beautiful :)