Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Test Track 2.0

Finally went on the newer version a few weeks back. Loved it. Just such a superior improvement, really love the customization aspect of the whole ride and post-show area.
I think overall the entire experience is much better and the ride visuals are great, but I really wish they would have enclosed the outdoor portion. It's just so odd now. It takes you out of the immersive commuter world you were just in REALLY fast.

The customization part is cool, but I really miss that old queue music and the lame pre-show video. Come to think of if, I always hated having to watch that thing. Now I kind of miss it. The ride itself is a total letdown for me. It felt like we were just driving by pretty lights most of the time with a few "tests" in between. I'll probably only ride it again if the waits are obnoxiously low, and that's not common occurrence.

SIAP but I think it would've been great if Disney warned guests that you cannot customize your car if you go through the Single Rider line. I learned this the hard way, waited 45 minutes yesterday in single rider line only to discover that only the main queue guests get to customize the car. I think this is a major oversight since customization is the main selling point of the 2.0 update.

The new queue and music is a phenomenal improvement for me. However, the process clogs the line so much. Especially because they don't have the bank of machines open for FP people, so everyone goes into the same design rooms. Also, after you stand inside in the dark for over 45 minutes, the final test where you go outside has this effect in the Summer during the day has this effect:

Raiders-of-the-lost-ark-melting-face.jpg

I have pretty sensitive eyes, and I could barely open them until we got close to the final turn. Overall, an improvement for sure. But it's still not great. Just good.

I got a chance to experience it recently myself.

It's...nice...I guess?...

I can admire that unlike the original, this version is actually trying to be futuristic, so it works better with the Future World theme. But still...there's just something about it that feels...empty.

So yeah, still nowhere near as good as World of Motion. Why don't they just bring back WoM, but in updated thrill ride form?

Oh right, because that means they wouldn't be able to toss in as many advertisements for Chevrolet. *sigh*

The new queue and music is a phenomenal improvement for me. However, the process clogs the line so much. Especially because they don't have the bank of machines open for FP people, so everyone goes into the same design rooms. Also, after you stand inside in the dark for over 45 minutes, the final test where you go outside has this effect in the Summer during the day has this effect:

Raiders-of-the-lost-ark-melting-face.jpg

I have pretty sensitive eyes, and I could barely open them until we got close to the final turn. Overall, an improvement for sure. But it's still not great. Just good.

You tried putting sun glasses on right before you head outside?

Can I be completely honest? I hate the redesign. It strips any personality out of the ride and turns it into a boring slog through neon lights and cheap effects with no real thru-line like the original ride had to connect all of it together. They ruined fun surprises like the Truck and the Wall Test and overall it just felt like the designers had thought they lost the rights to Tron until Shanghai showed their cheap bootleg version up a couple years later.

This sounds like a ride control system upgrade. Hopefully they also upgrade the projections and such.
If we're wishlisting, play the theme that you hear in the queue on the outdoor circuit; it's always felt so jarring to have onboard audio the whole ride only for it to cut out right at the end.

Really, though, this feels like the Tower refurbishment: no guest experience improvements beyond keeping guests running through it for more hours a day than before. Not that I'm complaining about reliability improvements, but it'd be nice if we went beyond fixing what's broken once in a while.

Refurbishment underway from today through February 26th. It's rumored that the SSE update could begin shortly after this is over.

Primarily a Software update according to some Disney site reports.
This and just to spruce it up before SSE goes down for nearly 2 years. With it going down for so long, they want to make sure the rest of the park is in top notch shape as taking away SSE is taking away a people eater.

That’s what I figured, wasn’t expecting too much out of the ordinary but figured I would ask. They definitely will need the capacity and reliability of the big rides to bear the brunt of SSE closing for refurb.