Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

That Darn Marvel Contract – What Rights Does Universal and Disney Own

Just a quick google search came across this:

Only 3 of the guardians. Drax not being in it could be telling as he probably counts as being in the avengers family. He may not be in the ride. Gamora is still in limbo in the movies, so that might be why she's not there.

As for the rest, maybe their origins are ambiguous enough to not fall into a contract family?

Just a quick google search came across this:

Only 3 of the guardians. Drax not being in it could be telling as he probably counts as being in the avengers family. He may not be in the ride. Gamora is still in limbo in the movies, so that might be why she's not there.

As for the rest, maybe their origins are ambiguous enough to not fall into a contract family?

Feige has said that the theme park rides are outside the canon of the MCU anyway, so really there's no reason for Gamora not to be in the ride, imo... especially since she's in the poster art :lol:

Last edited:
Ads are allowed on network TV and other national broadcasts. In other words, this can be shown on primetime during The Bachelor on Channel 9, but not during the 6:00 news.

Ads are probably allowed on the internet in general, but the contract was written before anyone had heard of the World Wide Web, so we've already dived into speculation. Would they be allowed on, say, the Sentinel's page, since it mostly targets locals? I don't know. Lawyers would probably make a lot of money arguing both sides of that issue.

Billboards featuring the characters are probably a no-go around town. Too soon for those anyway, but that will be interesting to see.

It's murky. IIRC Drax is pretty clearly an Avengers villain, original Groot might have been. But I don't think it matters--my interpretation is this prohibition applies to any Marvel character not being used in IoA. Disney might argue differently. but I don't think they would win.

Ads are allowed on network TV and other national broadcasts. In other words, this can be shown on primetime during The Bachelor on Channel 9, but not during the 6:00 news.
So basically, no sweat off Disney's back there. They may release an ad that is sans characters so they can advertise to locals during the news, but they're going to get a much higher audience reach by advertising during something like The Bachelor, NBA Playoffs/Monday Night Football, etc. anyway.

Now that you mentioned it I have only seen them during prime time programming, so probably national ads.

So basically, no sweat off Disney's back there. They may release an ad that is sans characters so they can advertise to locals during the news, but they're going to get a much higher audience reach by advertising during something like The Bachelor, NBA Playoffs/Monday Night Football, etc. anyway.

And probably even better results just putting it on YouTube and letting Twitter and sites like these spread the word for them.

Believe me, Nick, nothing makes me feel older than realizing this was drafted when I was in high school and being forced to add up all the ways the world has changed since then. In 1989, not being able to advertise in the Sentinel or the Atlanta Journal-Constitution was a huge deal. Now I doubt they'd spend the money if they could.

It's crazy but billboards are probably the biggest issue in 2022. Let's see if the characters pop up along 528.

And probably even better results just putting it on YouTube and letting Twitter and sites like these spread the word for them.

Believe me, Nick, nothing makes me feel older than realizing this was drafted when I was in high school and being forced to add up all the ways the world has changed since then. In 1989, not being able to advertise in the Sentinel or the Atlanta Journal-Constitution was a huge deal. Now I doubt they'd spend the money if they could.

It's crazy but billboards are probably the biggest issue in 2022. Let's see if the characters pop up along 528.

The national campaign focuses on characters and the spinning cars, then I bet they show the spinning coaster cars only (with the attraction logo) on billboards. That's my bet.

With one of their simple “”clever”” phrases for the 50th campaign, like “Rock the Galaxy”. But no Guardians logo.
"Rock The Galaxy" has been on the construction walls since 2017 or so, so it only makes sense for them to use it, especially if they have to change their normal billboard strategy because of the contract stipulations.

So, while Ms. Marvel has been confirmed as a mutant, based on her comic origins as being an Inhuman and not as a part of the X-Men, would she be eligible for Disney to use in the parks? As long as they were to use her in a generic way without saying what species she is I would assume that they may be able to, but then again, i'm no lawyer.

So, while Ms. Marvel has been confirmed as a mutant, based on her comic origins as being an Inhuman and not as a part of the X-Men, would she be eligible for Disney to use in the parks? As long as they were to use her in a generic way without saying what species she is I would assume that they may be able to, but then again, i'm no lawyer.

Easy. It doesn’t matter.. her name is Ms. Marvel. Haha.

So, to bring discussion back to Black Panther (and technically, Iron Man) albeit.

With Marvel Studios having Black Panther 2 introduce a new Black Panther, alongside Ironheart; could both the new Black Panther and Ironheart be free from the Marvel contract? Riri is a relatively new character that falls out of the timeframe from when MSHI was under development, and assuming the new Black Panther is either M'Baku or Shuri, that would justifiably put the person donning Black Panther out of the restrictions that T'challa has, right?