The Future of Lost Continent (Poseidon Fury closing May 9) | Page 120 | Inside Universal Forums

The Future of Lost Continent (Poseidon Fury closing May 9)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I've always been on the bandwagon of keeping this classic attraction around. I realize the younger hardcore games/coaster oriented fans don't want it, but it screams 'classic Universal' for many of us in the GP that enjoy an attraction that is sheltered, great ac, interesting entertainment concept, and has a long time duration. It's a good counterbalance to all the short 2 to 4 minute open air heavy thrill IOA attractions. Nice to have a different entertainment experience. Universal did a decent refurb on this just 4 or 5 years ago, so it's promising they did an even more extensive refurb this soon. I know the film portion isn't the greatest story line, but just about all the other parts of the attraction are fun old school Universal. I missed this a lot the last couple of vacations, and IOA just didn't seem complete without it.

Further, the fact that the attraction got a refurb shows they're not replacing it for many more years.
I mean, when would they? I can't see anything opening that's too major in USF or IOA until 2026 at the absolute earliest and USF has lands that will be in need of more help than IOA, especially with KidZone and the impending contract expiration for Simpsons at that point.

They probably just see LC as sticking around as is for quite a bit so lets at least give people one thing to actually freakin do in the land again.

I mean, when would they? I can't see anything opening that's major in USF or IOA until 2026 at the absolute earliest and USF has lands that will be in need of more help than IOA, especially with KidZone and the impending contract expiration for Simpsons at that point.
It matters that now we have an answer when anyone brings up rumors of a Zelda retheme, etc for awhile lol

I've always been on the bandwagon of keeping this classic attraction around. I realize the younger hardcore games/coaster oriented fans don't want it, but it screams 'classic Universal' for many of us in the GP that enjoy an attraction that is sheltered, great ac, interesting entertainment concept, and has a long time duration. It's a good counterbalance to all the short 2 to 4 minute open air heavy thrill IOA attractions. Nice to have a different entertainment experience. Universal did a decent refurb on this just 4 or 5 years ago, so it's promising they did an even more extensive refurb this soon. I know the film portion isn't the greatest story line, but just about all the other parts of the attraction are fun old school Universal. I missed this a lot the last couple of vacations, and IOA just didn't seem complete without it.
I'd mostly agree with you if the main showpiece wasn't terrible. Outside of the water vortex, everything about this thing is pretty lame.

Reactions: DK745
I've always believed that Poseidon would benefit from IP infusion. The show starts off slow trying to explain the story, by the time you get to the main room your still trying to figure out what is happening. An IP would have a pre-established background the guests would know.

I thought that the GP wasn’t crazy about it either. Why I’m shocked it reopened.

I've always believed that Poseidon would benefit from IP infusion. The show starts off slow trying to explain the story, by the time you get to the main room your still trying to figure out what is happening. An IP would have a pre-established background the guests would know.

Oh man, if you suggested the same about any original at Disney, hell hath no fury. Just saying.

Reactions: SeventyOne
Its too cheesy for modern day audiences and the final set piece isn't exciting for the times which also messes things up.

:grin: Sorry to jump on you Quinn, but ... this thing opened in 1999 (with the new dumbed down storyline created in the early 00s). We're not talking some relic from the late 50s/early 60s like Enchanted Tiki Room. It was ALWAYS kind of cheesy, even if, as Legacy says, the original script worked better. Even AOL users with Patagonia backpacks back in 2000 were snickering at this one.

:grin: Sorry to jump on you Quinn, but ... this thing opened in 1999 (with the new dumbed down storyline created in the early 00s). We're not talking some relic from the late 50s/early 60s like Enchanted Tiki Room. It was ALWAYS kind of cheesy, even if, as Legacy says, the original script worked better. Even AOL users with Patagonia backpacks back in 2000 were snickering at this one.
Yes.it appears 'cheese' was the hallmark of that side of the Lost Continent. Sindbad was even multiple times cheesier, especially the first version. Scripts may well have been written by some 'mouse'. But PF is still a nice relaxing way to spend 20-30 minutes out of the Florida heat and rain. I always need to slow up that frantic IOA pace a bit. PF is really good for that, with perhaps the resort's best ac in those eerie beautiful catacombs where you wait in line.

I'd mostly agree with you if the main showpiece wasn't terrible. Outside of the water vortex, everything about this thing is pretty lame.
I didn’t want to be the one to say it first, but the current attraction just isn’t that good.

It was ALWAYS kind of cheesy, even if, as Legacy says, the original script worked better.
The original was a mix of a better story and proper use of the set, and I would not describe it as cheesy. The water vortex actually took you “underwater” instead of just to an identical room as the one you just left. The ability to raise/lower the room was used to teleport you back to the “surface,“ aka the pre-water vortex room, as everything was going haywire in the main showroom. First timers were always shocked, in a good RotR transport kinda way.

The best thing the current one has going for it is that there’s only one (that I can find) grainy video of the original version.

Last edited:
An important factor in the quality of PF for me, especially for someone who has seen it quite a lot, is the actor's interpretation of the Taylor role. Some are quite adept at it, and they are able to raise the character far above the cheesy dialogue. Seems best when they play Taylor tongue in cheek, ala Indiana Jones. The worst are if you get an actor portraying Taylor as overly dramatic wimpy, which only accentuates the cheese in the dialogue. Fortunately, almost all the Taylor's we've seen were quite good, and really elevated the entertainment experience. The only really 'bad' Taylor I've experienced was about a decade ago. A short lady portrayed Taylor, in what appeared to be a wannabe Gollum like character. She did it bent over like Gollum and using that kind of voice. It was almost impossible to understand her and she was just a too sniveling Taylor. It didn't work. Bottom line though is that a good Taylor portrayal really helps this attraction.

Reactions: frank_1991_