The Future of Lost Continent (Poseidon Fury closing May 9) | Page 92 | Inside Universal Forums

The Future of Lost Continent (Poseidon Fury closing May 9)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
You say you couldn't disagree more, then you agree with me:
Me: '"require speed. ... but Zelda is not one of them"​
You: "Doesn't need to be fast"​

Look I think we're splitting hairs about omnimover or not. My point is that whatever is planned for Lost Continent, IMO, is 1) going to fit within the current land (instead of demoing back of house buildings as others have previously proposed), 2) will likely using existing infrastructure, and won't be a complete demo like Diagon.
Speed and fast are two different things. Mario Kart will have some speed to it, but it won't be *fast*. It just won't run like molasses like an omnimover does. Which is what I meant. An omnimover would be all kinds of wrong for an adventure like Zelda is supposed to be.

I also disagree with your assessment on LC. Whatever replaces it will include a near-total demolition, save for maybe things like kitchens and restroom facilities like Hogsmeade.

Speed and fast are two different things. Mario Kart will have some speed to it, but it won't be *fast*. It just won't run like molasses like an omnimover does. Which is what I meant. An omnimover would be all kinds of wrong for an adventure like Zelda is supposed to be.

I also disagree with your assessment on LC. Whatever replaces it will include a near-total demolition, save for maybe things like kitchens and restroom facilities like Hogsmeade.
My idea was a family friendly Wind-Waker ride with some simulated speed / fast parts. This could be done with screens, wind, and other effects. I'm not going to go to war over the "omnimover" idea.

I think people's expectations for Zelda are... interesting. I'm pretty open to what attraction/land concepts fit for Zelda, but it seems everyone else has an attraction/land in mind, and anything that isn't that idea won't work.

I think the difficult part is working with what Universal is actually going to move forward on.

Well...
  • JK accepted an extremely lazy overlay of the existing rides/attractions at Merlinwood, so I'm just using this as precedence.
  • Breath of the Wild was represented in my post in the walk-through attraction, as well as the lands (Gerudo Town and the temple ruins would be Breath of the Wild inspired). The only non-Breath of the Wild inspired attraction was the omnimover, which I think could be good to include to add some diversity to the land. The cell shaded / cartoony aspect could be explained by the ride being a 'story' which you are inside of.
  • I'm also not picky about the 'Wind-Waker' theming to the omnimover. The biggest issue is that the Sindbad theater space is not massive, and the SLoP omnimover could probably actually fit in this location. So anyone suggesting a much larger ride (like a coaster) has some feasibility issues to work out with their suggestion.
  • I'm really not sure why you said "no" to my point about Hyrule. You defined it exactly how I did.
    • Me: "Hyrule is a country, which has many different locations "
    • You: "Hyrule is a single place ... has the same locations (Castle Town,Death Mountain, Zora’s Domain, Gerudo Desert)"
  • My point about Hyrule is only that "Hyrule" refers to the country (or kingdom) of Hyrule, not specifically to the Hyrule Castle. And while the Hyrule Castle is important and probably necessary to represent in some way, the entire land does not need to be the castle itself, considering most of the game (including BotW) takes place elsewhere.
You obviously didn't saw Universal's first pitch to JK...

Reactions: JungleSkip
You obviously didn't saw Universal's first pitch to JK...
I know the history and heard of her rejections to Disney/etc. Yet she still accepted the low budget retheme of Dragons and Hippogryph.

But people here are adamant about PF or Sindbad or the land itself not being rethemed to Zelda on the cheap.

I know the history and heard of her rejections to Disney/etc. Yet she still accepted the low budget retheme of Dragons and Hippogryph.

But people here are adamant about PF or Sindbad or the land itself not being rethemed to Zelda on the cheap.

The reality is, some people don’t want a cheap version over having no version. Could it happen? Sure. But why would you fight for an overlay when you can have a ground up land? Especially when your example of DD getting a cheap overlay is mute with the creation of Hagrid’s. The last few pages of this thread seem to keep using examples of UO under previous management. Times are different.

Opinions are opinions. We can’t get mad on here if people disagree with what we think will happen. No one knows for sure. Speculate if you want, but if people don’t agree they don’t agree.

To change the topic for a bit, @Disneyhead once brought up a holiday themed land (perpetual Christmas) after Universal got the rights to Frosty and Friends I believe. The general thought at the time was it could be a decent transition between Hogsmeade and Seuss. With Epic getting a “horror” themed land, would people like to see a Christmas land or not?

Because the Universal of today is *leagues* different than the Universal of 2008.
With Epic getting a “horror” themed land, would people like to see a Christmas land or not?
No. It's a baffling theme for a year-round land.

Reactions: Nico
Because the Universal of today is *leagues* different than the Universal of 2008.
Universal has introduced three "lands" to IOA and USF since Hogsmeade. Only one of those fits within the "*leagues different" idea that you are talking about:
Springfield - 2013
Diagon - 2014​
Skull Island - 2016

What I'm proposing is far more than what Skull Island or Springfield received.

Everything else has been single rides and attractions, including Bourne, F&F, Fallon, and Hagrid.

While I would love every addition to UOR to be on the scale of Diagon or Hagrid, I don't expect this to be the reality.

Reactions: Andysol

She was given full creative control. If she had wanted to, she could have simply rejected the whole thing. And while they did retime two rides, they also demolished a restaurant, bathrooms, and gift shop to build all-new venues. The retimes also added elements into the queues as well.
Sure, it saved money (on a company that didn't really have a lot to spend) and it was many things. Lazy is definitely not one of them.

Universal has introduced three "lands" to IOA and USF since Hogsmeade. Only one of those fits within the "*leagues different" idea that you are talking about:
Springfield - 2013
Diagon - 2014​
Skull Island - 2016

Everything else has been single rides and attractions, including Bourne, F&F, Fallon, and Hagrid.

While I would love every addition to UOR to be on the scale of Diagon or Hagrid, I don't expect this to be the reality.
Well, Epic Universe is going to be an entire park to the level and scale of Diagonal, so we are getting it. Just not going to get anything like that beforehand

Springfield - 2013
Diagon - 2014​
Skull Island - 2016

Skull Island ain't no land.

If they replace LC, it will absolutely be on a Hogsmeade/Diagon scale. They're not going to spend money to rework a concept that never worked (Poseidon) or keep a wonky, cramped land layout for a big property.

It’s worth noting if my memory serves me right that universal found turning the merlinwood resturaunt structure into 3Bsticks instead of tearing it down and starting anew was a hassle, and they may want to just tear stuff down and go ground up in the future

Skull Island ain't no land.

If they replace LC, it will absolutely be on a Hogsmeade/Diagon scale. They're not going to spend money to rework a concept that never worked (Poseidon) or keep a wonky, cramped land layout for a big property.
According to Universal, Skull Island is a land. They also call Volcano Bay a water theme park. This is my point. This is the "*leagues* different" part that I'm disagreeing with you on.

Honestly, they could very easily demo PF for a new decently sized attraction, retheme mythos, and leave Sindbad still empty, keeping the marketplace+fountain in tact. Boom, new land. Just like they added Skull Island (aside from all the differences of course).

Keep in mind, what I want to see is far different than what I expect to see.

Last edited:
Also, I’m a firm believer that the health of our society is determined by the health of our pop culture, and that includes theme parks.
Pretty sure every generation hates the next generation's pop culture.

I don't recognize any of the musical guest star names on SNL, that's how I know I'm getting old. And I hate so many movies nowadays. Kid's cartoons are garbage compared to what I liked. And don't even get me started on toys. Why are all the dolls and animal plush's eyes so big now? And the performers in the Super Bowl halftime show shouldn't show so much skin. Put on a shirt!

But aren't things like that just my opinions, based on my personal point of view?

My idea was a family friendly Wind-Waker ride with some simulated speed / fast parts. This could be done with screens, wind, and other effects. I'm not going to go to war over the "omnimover" idea.

I think people's expectations for Zelda are... interesting. I'm pretty open to what attraction/land concepts fit for Zelda, but it seems everyone else has an attraction/land in mind, and anything that isn't that idea won't work.

I think the difficult part is working with what Universal is actually going to move forward on.
Any Zelda ride is going to likely be based on Breath of the Wild. It’s by far the best selling game in the series and is also getting a sequel. It’s style and world can also be easily used to incorporate some other parts of the series. Also if once again the sequel lacks a proper castle town it gives Universal the leeway to include whatever shops they want from across the series without retconning anything.

If they go for nostalgia instead you can bet easily on Ocarina of Time. I’ll be shocked if it’s based on any other game.

Reactions: Disneyhead
:look:

Isn't this what F&F does?
And also what Mario Kart does. And many many many other attractions. I don't get why this is so surprising or appalling to people all the sudden.

Keep in mind though, I was never suggesting the Wind-Waker sailing ride would be any sort of thrill ride. I would think it would be more similar to Pirates.
Any Zelda ride is going to likely be based on Breath of the Wild. It’s by far the best selling game in the series and is also getting a sequel. It’s style and world can also be easily used to incorporate some other parts of the series. Also if once again the sequel lacks a proper castle town it gives Universal the leeway to include whatever shops they want from across the series without retconning anything.

If they go for nostalgia instead you can bet easily on Ocarina of Time. I’ll be shocked if it’s based on any other game.
In my post, all the shops, restaurants, meet and greets, walk-through attraction, everything is based off of BotW. I only proposed a small portion of the land being Wind-Waker (honestly, it's primarily because of the ride vehicle). But I suppose you can disagree with even a small amount being Wind-Waker if you want.

But I want to disagree a bit that the land will be based on any single game in the franchise (if anyone believes this). I think would potentially be based on the overall IP and characters within, and possibly a style inspired by BotW.

I don't recognize any of the musical guest star names on SNL, that's how I know I'm getting old. And I hate so many movies nowadays. Kid's cartoons are garbage compared to what I liked. And don't even get me started on toys. Why are all the dolls and animal plush's eyes so big now? And the performers in the Super Bowl halftime show shouldn't show so much skin. Put on a shirt!

But aren't things like that just my opinions, based on my personal point of view?
I was with you up until "skin." :p

Last edited:

But David Byrne was on this last Saturday!!!