The Future of The Simpsons Ride/Springfield (Orlando) | Page 18 | Inside Universal Forums

The Future of The Simpsons Ride/Springfield (Orlando)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I always thought Stranger Things would be one of outside IPs Universal would be interested in since its mainstream popular show that appeals to a wide age range. Though since it's possible that ST's popularity will die out after season 5, so it's probably a risky investment right now. They did just announce a spin-off and a stage play recently, so it's possible it'll become another pop culture mainstay
I personally think Universal going forward wants to try to stick to In-house IP if they can. In addition to the Spin-off, there was also an animated series announced and a rumored Stranger Things: Tokyo anime series.

Reactions: HHN Maddux
I always thought Stranger Things would be one of outside IPs Universal would be interested in since its mainstream popular show that appeals to a wide age range. Though since it's possible that ST's popularity will die out after season 5, so it's probably a risky investment right now. They did just announce a spin-off and a stage play recently, so it's possible it'll become another pop culture mainstay
There’s just not much you can do with a Stranger Things land. What would you build? A high school? Do people really want to buy food drink and merch in the upside down? I’d be absolutely shocked if there was ever a permanent ST addition to the parks.

Reactions: Coolbfitz
There’s just not much you can do with a Stranger Things land. What would you build? A high school? Do people really want to buy food drink and merch in the upside down? I’d be absolutely shocked if there was ever a permanent ST addition to the parks.
I would go out on a limb and say that Fast Food Boulevard ---> Starcourt Mall Food Court would definitely be a success

Reactions: UniversalRBLX
I would go out on a limb and say that Fast Food Boulevard ---> Starcourt Mall Food Court would definitely be a success
It depends on the success of the spin-off. I look at IPs like Lost and GoT. Cultural relevance of tv shows doesn’t seem to be sticking like it used to in the age of streaming. Plus, both of those shows for example didn’t stick the landing, lost relevance, which is why GoT is trying to get back in with the prequel series. Let’s hope that Stranger Things sticks the landing with its final season.

Oh, plus the violence and death. :lmao: If it works for HHN, it most likely doesn’t work for daily park attractions.

• Haha
Reactions: TheCodeMan95
It depends on the success of the spin-off. I look at IPs like Lost and GoT. Cultural relevance of tv shows doesn’t seem to be sticking like it used to in the age of streaming. Plus, both of those shows for example didn’t stick the landing, lost relevance, which is why GoT is trying to get back in with the prequel series. Let’s hope that Stranger Things sticks the landing with its final season.

Oh, plus the violence and death. :lmao: If it works for HHN, it most likely doesn’t work for daily park attractions.
Never know! I think Transformers/Mummy might qualify as violence and death. And Bourne! :lmao:

I'd definitely wait until the show is over before doing anything - but I think it would be possible. In my mind, a Stranger Things land would just be Hawkins - with the main attraction being a journey into the Upside Down.

Reactions: tankart150 and Nico

I'd argue Stranger Things is more "family-friendly" than Skull Island and much more prevalent than GoT or Lost. It's also the biggest IP remaining for Universal to use in the parks that are specifically targeted at the teen/young adult audience.

Stranger Things is not at the level of Potter or Marvel, but it's way more relevant than Fallon, MIB, Transformers, and possibly the Simpsons. The 80s are also pretty timeless for an aesthetic if done properly.

I hear you both, but these are my main thoughts:

1. We see the complications of an aging child cast with Potter. They would need to film asap. The last season starts filming this Summer.

2. What’s the update on the relationship between Netflix and Universal?

3. Is the teen/young adult market where Universal’s head’s at currently? Especially within Studios. I am curious what their direction will be post Minion Blast and Kidzone.

Edit: I’ll add that this is still in reference to a Simpsons’ replacement, and everyone continues to say it’s not leaving any time soon. So timing may be an issue.

1. We see the complications of an aging child cast with Potter. They would need to film asap. The last season starts filming this Summer.

3. Is the teen/young adult market where Universal’s head’s at currently? Especially within Studios. I am curious what their direction will be post Minion Blast and Kidzone.

Edit: I’ll add that this is still in reference to a Simpsons’ replacement, and everyone continues to say it’s not leaving any time soon. So timing may be an issue.

With how good, and scary, deep-fake tech has come, I don't think they're too worried about an aging cast. Not saying this is happening, but it's not out of the realm of possibility.

With how good, and scary, deep-fake tech has come, I don't think they're too worried about an aging cast. Not saying this is happening, but it's not out of the realm of possibility.
There's even the possibility that not all of the characters would be involved in the attraction either

Exactly haha

But really my realistic hope for this is Pokemon
@Alica said one of the rumors for a Pokemon attraction in KZ was an omnimover where guests took pictures of Pokemon. Maybe they could be revive that in a larger format in the Simpsons plot assuming they use the current acreage of the Simpsons plot and extend into the current queue and not take out AA and FFB. I would also be okay with this becoming a Shrek mini land if Shrek 5 and the Donkey spin off are hits. The location of it in proximity to the lagoon are perfect for the setting of a Shrek land.

• Love
@Alica said one of the rumors for a Pokemon attraction in KZ was an omnimover where guests took pictures of Pokemon. Maybe they could be revive that in a larger format in the Simpsons plot assuming they use the current acreage of the Simpsons plot and extend into the current queue and not take out AA and FFB. I would also be okay with this becoming a Shrek mini land if Shrek 5 and the Donkey spin off are hits. The location of it in proximity to the lagoon are perfect for the setting of a Shrek land.

I really think we need to stop the armchair imagineering. Once again, we have no hard evidence suggesting that Simpsons/Springfield is going anywhere anytime soon.

I really think we need to stop the armchair imagineering. Once again, we have no hard evidence suggesting that Simpsons/Springfield is going anywhere anytime soon.
Thank God someone finally said this. I know a lot of people on the form just want to see the “old simulator close”, but ultimately there’s no reason to get rid of the ride/area. Like everyone’s favorite podcaster recently discussed, Universal probably signed another deal for Simpsons, because why wouldn’t they?!? lol Disney certainly won’t use the characters or settings and they still get paid too!

Thank God someone finally said this. I know a lot of people on the form just want to see the “old simulator close”, but ultimately there’s no reason to get rid of the ride/area. Like everyone’s favorite podcaster recently discussed, Universal probably signed another deal for Simpsons, because why wouldn’t they?!? lol Disney certainly won’t use the characters or settings and they still get paid too!
I don't believe Simpsons is closing anytime soon, but I'm somewhat skeptical that Universal would want to renew their contract. Outside of major projects like Nintendo and HP, Universal seems to be moving away a bit from licensing other properties and instead using their own IP. While the Simpsons land is fairly popular, there's a number of reasons I could see it going away. Disney's license fee might be more than what Universal is willing to pay, the ride system feels a bit dated and Universal is moving away from screen heavy rides, and Springfield's location makes the most sense for future expansion. It will probably be around for a few more years though.

1: Well they could just set the land after S5 and have some new threat from the upside down, so they don't have to worry about the ages of the cast

2: Not sure but I mean if Universal offers a sweat deal for netflix , I don't they'll say no like they're not making a theme park anytime soon.

3: I mean I think considering how much of the upcoming projects is aiming towards younger spectrum with DreamWorks and Nintendo, adding a land that's aimed to teens and up could be a good way to balance their offerings.

I have no idea if they would actually do it since it does seem their shifting towards in-house or currently contracted IPs but it along with LOTR have pontential to be huge hits like Potter/Nintendo. I feel like you could always have the upside-down be affecting Hawkins, so the land is more than just a suburbs if the land not being interesting is a concern

Does there need to be hard evidence to speculate on what could come next? Even if it's not going anywhere anytime soon, it's safe to assume that it won't be there forever - and there is decent reason (the contract) to believe that it could close in the next few years.