Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

The "IP That's Yet to Come" Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mods, feel free to take down this post if it's pointless or ranging in similarity to another post (I did a little background and don't think there is).

Basically this post pertains to IP's that have yet to be at HHN; whether it be remakes, sequels, or out of the box properties that have requested by fans or brought up once that Hollywood has yet to do over the years or years to come. I decided to dedicate a single thread, updating it so often with new properties OR crossing off properties that will/ have happened. I also plan to range them from likely to not so likely to unlikely depending how that changes as time passes as well. Feel free to add more, debate about the likelihood, etc.

Off the Top of my head...
LIKELY:
  • Hereditary; 2018 (A24)
  • The VVitch; 2015 (A24)
  • The Haunting of Hill House; 2018 - ? (Netflix)
  • The Thing; 1982 (Universal)
  • Midsommar; 2019 (A24)
NOT SO LIKELY:
  • Halloween; 2018 (Miramax/ Blumhouse/ Universal)
  • Suspuria; 1977 (Produzioni Atlas)
  • Twin Peaks/ Fire Walk with Me; 1990-1991, 1992, 2017 (New Line Cinema/ CBS)
  • Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors; 1987 (Warner Bros./ New Line Cinema)*
VERY UNLIKELY:
  • Child's Play (series); 1988-2017(?) (MGM/ UA)
  • Scream; 1996-2011 (Dimension)
  • Hellraiser; 1987-2018 (Dimension)
  • IT; 2018-2019 (Warner Bros./ Stephen King)
  • The Evil Dead; 1981 - 1992 (New Line)
  • Alien; 1979-2018 (20th Century Fox/ Dinsey)
  • American Horror Story: Asylum; 2019 (FX/ Disney)*
  • The Conjuring; 2013 - ? (Warner Bros.)
*included as its own since it warrants enough material to stand by itself as a house
Mods, feel free to take down this post if it's pointless or ranging in similarity to another post (I did a little background and don't think there is).

Basically this post pertains to IP's that have yet to be at HHN; whether it be remakes, sequels, or out of the box properties that have requested by fans or brought up once that Hollywood has yet to do over the years or years to come. I decided to dedicate a single thread, updating it so often with new properties OR crossing off properties that will/ have happened. I also plan to range them from likely to not so likely to unlikely depending how that changes as time passes as well. Feel free to add more, debate about the likelihood, etc.

Off the Top of my head...
LIKELY:
  • Hereditary; 2018 (A24)
  • The VVitch; 2015 (A24)
  • The Haunting of Hill House; 2018 - ? (Netflix)
  • The Thing; 1982 (Universal)
  • Midsommar; 2019 (A24)
NOT SO LIKELY:
  • Halloween; 2018 (Miramax/ Blumhouse/ Universal)
  • Suspuria; 1977 (Produzioni Atlas)
  • Twin Peaks/ Fire Walk with Me; 1990-1991, 1992, 2017 (New Line Cinema/ CBS)
  • Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors; 1987 (Warner Bros./ New Line Cinema)*
VERY UNLIKELY:
  • Child's Play (series); 1988-2017(?) (MGM/ UA)
  • Scream; 1996-2011 (Dimension)
  • Hellraiser; 1987-2018 (Dimension)
  • IT; 2018-2019 (Warner Bros./ Stephen King)
  • The Evil Dead; 1981 - 1992 (New Line)
  • Alien; 1979-2018 (20th Century Fox/ Dinsey)
  • American Horror Story: Asylum; 2019 (FX/ Disney)*
  • The Conjuring; 2013 - ? (Warner Bros.)
*included as its own since it warrants enough material to stand by itself as a house
Point of order: MGM/UA only own the Child's Play name, the first movie and the remake. Everything else, including it certain elements of the original, is owned by Universal.

Regarding A24 and their properties, something I have heard from some industry friends (people who work with producers and creative developers) but can’t confirm personally is that they give a lot of ownership/control to the filmmakers. Like, an insane amount. They’re allowed final say on more or less everything. (Final cut, trailers, home video model, repertory access, etc.). It’s a big part of A24’s strategy of attracting indie filmmakers, keeping them away from both the big studios (where basically nobody except gets that treatment) and the smaller studios (Neon, IFC, The Orchard, etc.), where they’d get far less exposure.

Anyway, tl;dr, I would put movies like Hereditary, the Witch, and Midsommar on the “no chance” list because Ari Aster and Robert Eggers see themselves as Very Serious Artists™️ who, by their own admission, aren’t really even horror fans in the first place. They have no interest in an event like HHN.

Regarding A24 and their properties, something I have heard from some industry friends (people who work with producers and creative developers) but can’t confirm personally is that they give a lot of ownership/control to the filmmakers. Like, an insane amount. They’re allowed final say on more or less everything. (Final cut, trailers, home video model, repertory access, etc.). It’s a big part of A24’s strategy of attracting indie filmmakers, keeping them away from both the big studios (where basically nobody except gets that treatment) and the smaller studios (Neon, IFC, The Orchard, etc.), where they’d get far less exposure.

Anyway, tl;dr, I would put movies like Hereditary, the Witch, and Midsommar on the “no chance” list because Ari Aster and Robert Eggers see themselves as Very Serious Artists™️ who, by their own admission, aren’t really even horror fans in the first place. They have no interest in an event like HHN.
I feel like its more possible than you'd think, but if Universal chose to pursue it it would probably be really risky, since the filmmakers would probably demand a lot of creative control and would be more likely to cut off the deal if they weren't happy with it.

I feel like its more possible than you'd think, but if Universal chose to pursue it it would probably be really risky, since the filmmakers would probably demand a lot of creative control and would be more likely to cut off the deal if they weren't happy with it.
This was the case for Peele and Del Toro and Murdy has great relationships but still viking has a point.

On an episode of the A24 Podcast, Barry Jenkins and Greta Gerwig praised A24's creative freedom so maybe Ari might allow SOME leeway if he were given full control but I guess the situation can fall on both ends. Kind of ironic how Ari constantly says he doesn't view Hereditary as horror when thats what its mostly praised for lol.

Idk, Ari Aster seems pretty chill, and he's clarified his statements by saying he loves the genre. Midsommar was basically a Jason movie in Sweden. As an armchair analyst that knows nothing, I think he'd turn around after a few beers and blunts.

Eggers, though. He seems intense.

All good points! Don’t get me wrong, i’d welcome each property—I really enjoy the genre stuff A24 puts out and I think these specific movies particularly could work with the right design, just skeptical at the moment.

I remember someone asking Murdy if The Ring was possible a while ago and him saying it would be troublesome to get the rights to (Disney). But with Dreamworks being owned by Universal as of 2016 Im wondering if its obtainable again? I feel like The Ring and The Grudge are very recognizable IPs (up with Saw as the most iconic of the 2000s). Some that I haven't seen listed are The Hills Have Eyes, I Know What You Did Last Summer (since Scream is a no go), and The Fly. I Personally would like to see Suspiria, Candyman, and Hellraiser.

I think something to consider are these decade themed years that Orlando is having and Hollywood is just starting. Maybe we'll start to see some of the IPs listed bundled up in a 70's or 90's year.

There is one series that would in a way make a good maze, but with this maze how is Universal’s relationship with Nickelodeon?

I remember someone asking Murdy if The Ring was possible a while ago and him saying it would be troublesome to get the rights to (Disney). But with Dreamworks being owned by Universal as of 2016 Im wondering if its obtainable again? I feel like The Ring and The Grudge are very recognizable IPs (up with Saw as the most iconic of the 2000s). Some that I haven't seen listed are The Hills Have Eyes, I Know What You Did Last Summer (since Scream is a no go), and The Fly. I Personally would like to see Suspiria, Candyman, and Hellraiser.

I think something to consider are these decade themed years that Orlando is having and Hollywood is just starting. Maybe we'll start to see some of the IPs listed bundled up in a 70's or 90's year.

I mentioned "I Know What You Did Last Summer." James Wan is producing a series for Amazon, so that could be something they look into.

The Fly, it kills me to say this, but The Fly is owned by Fox :/

To the best of my knowledge, The Ring isn't owned by Dreamworks, just distributed (hence, Rings). Afaik it's in a similar situation to MiB where technically, two producers named Lauren Parkes and Norm Macdonald own the rights. Who knows how the rights work with that. Maybe they could be unconventional and try getting the rights to the Japanese version instead?

The Grudge, I feel good about coming to the event someday. I remember Knotts used to get a ton of Columbia properties like Carrie, Evil Dead and the Grudge. Just now, we snagged the grandaddy of Columbia properties with Ghostbusters, and the zombieland SZ at Orlando shows that they're pretty free with their IPs. The Grudge would be an attractive choice now that the Sony door is open.

Oh speaking of the Sony route... Venom/Carnage house?

I mentioned "I Know What You Did Last Summer." James Wan is producing a series for Amazon, so that could be something they look into.

To the best of my knowledge, The Ring isn't owned by Dreamworks, just distributed (hence, Rings). Afaik it's in a similar situation to MiB where technically, two producers named Lauren Parkes and Norm Macdonald own the rights. Who knows how the rights work with that. Maybe they could be unconventional and try getting the rights to the Japanese version instead?

The Grudge, I feel good about coming to the event someday. I remember Knotts used to get a ton of Columbia properties like Carrie, Evil Dead and the Grudge. Just now, we snagged the grandaddy of Columbia properties with Ghostbusters, and the zombieland SZ at Orlando shows that they're pretty free with their IPs. The Grudge would be an attractive choice now that the Sony door is open.

Fairly sure Venom is part of That Darn Contract. Marvel may still be smarting from the time they were in HHN, who knows.

There are a lot of IPs that I would like to come to Horror Nights, but Phantasm would be one of my top picks. Those movies are filled with imagery that is perfect for a a maze, plus having the iconic score playing throughout a maze would be awesome.

Resident Evil.....and Especially Dead Space (yeah yeah video games) but they are just perfect for mazes. Resident Evil would be the perfect way to reboot the Terror Tram and try to make it....well good and creative again. They could do some outside parts in Raccoon City and end in the Mansion.
Would really a dream come true....and Dead Space would be fun because its aliens being scary. ....yeah I know they have tried it before but to me the monsters from Dead Space are so much more terrifying than the Predators/OG Alien

Universal shares rights to the character Sadako (The girl from the ring) with another Japanese company....the producers in the US aren't the real owners.

Status
Not open for further replies.