Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

The "IP That's Yet to Come" Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Opening weekend 2019, I would have called this close to a lock. But from what I've heard, negative guest reactions to Ghostbusters were common and strong. I have a feeling kid-friendly comedy may be scrubbed from the event for the foreseeable future. A shame, because this has long been on my wish list.

Yet it got a poor reception at both parks...and Season 4 is apparently (rumored) gonna be filming all the way to August, which means it may not even be out during HHN.

If I recall, I also believe Legacy implied Netflix was not pleased with Hollywood’s version this year barring guest reactions.

Lm93KRM.gif

If the the miserably written Walking Dead was well received enough to feature in lackluster houses five years running and the unexceptional Ho1C was loved enough to win HotY, while great properties and houses like Ghostbusters receive loads of negative comments and guests turn their noses up at comedy originals - maybe it’s time to admit that I don’t have a lot in common with the average HHN guest and that the event is going to move in a direction I don’t really want to follow.

Wonder if Murdy may have jinxed "saving" Stranger Things S3 for its own house then

When he said that it gave me so many flashbacks to AHS Roanoke and the whole Coven + Asylum “future” mazes. In a way I’m relieved since Hollywood would not have been able to pull off Starcourt but I’m still bummed in a way

I still have some hope for Beetlejuice though. It could go either way based off Ghostbusters but I do think it is a scarier property

I think, at least on the Orlando side, that the closest thing we have right now to a lock regarding anything is Bill and Ted. There were far too many coincidences/Easter eggs around the mazes and, well, Face the Music is finally coming out next year. UOR aren't total idiots.

Also, for future reference, can anyone tell me how to delete posts on here? This post was previously a huge mishap in terms of coding and I don't wanna delete posts by making entirely new ones anymore haha

Last edited:
If the the miserably written Walking Dead was well received enough to feature in lackluster houses five years running and the unexceptional Ho1C was loved enough to win HotY, while great properties and houses like Ghostbusters receive loads of negative comments and guests turn their noses up at comedy originals - maybe it’s time to admit that I don’t have a lot in common with the average HHN guest and that the event is going to move in a direction I don’t really want to follow.

It's worth repeating that HotY has nothing do with sets or scares, or what we deem "successful" - but operational success and backstage popularity.

But yes - the hardcore HHN fan usually doesn't have a lot in common with the average HHN guest. It's been that way for years. This is nothing new.

I think, at least on the Orlando side, that the closest thing we have right now to a lock regarding anything is Bill and Ted. There were far too many coincidences/Easter eggs around the mazes and, well, Face the Music is finally coming out next year. UOR aren't total idiots.

Also, for future reference, can anyone tell me how to delete posts on here? This post was previously a huge mishap in terms of coding and I don't wanna delete posts by making entirely new ones anymore haha

You can't delete. Only edit posts.

Last edited:
It's worth repeating that HotY has nothing do with sets or scares, or what we deem "successful" - but operational success and backstage popularity.

But yes - the hardcore HHN fan usually doesn't have a lot in common with the average HHN guest. It's been that way for years. This is nothing new.

You can't delete. Only edit posts.

I think it's a generational thing. The very few people who attended in the '90s became the hardcore fans in the '00s (go back and look at the WDW Magic threads in 2004-6 if you don't believe me). The GP in the '00s became the hardcore fans in the '10s. And I think the GP in the '10s will become the hardcore fans in the '20s. It's a lot like Star Wars--15-20 years ago it was the hardcore fanboys of the OT vs. the new fans of the PT. Fast forward to today, and that latter group became the fanboys themselves.

Opening weekend 2019, I would have called this close to a lock. But from what I've heard, negative guest reactions to Ghostbusters were common and strong. I have a feeling kid-friendly comedy may be scrubbed from the event for the foreseeable future. A shame, because this has long been on my wish list.

This holds weight.

:whistle:
Since my original post turned out to be a prime example of why I'm not a coder...

I'm actually surprised by this. I would imagine that they'd wanna capitalize off the resurrecting (heh) popularity, but I can understand the hesitation. However, Beetlejuice is honestly much scarier and has more disturbing imagery than any Ghostbusters movie, past present or future. I would see it more akin to Killer Klowns than Ghostbusters tbh.

Also, what about the Haunting series I mentioned? I'm not entirely sure when Bly Manor is coming out, but I know Hill House has been heavily requested and wished for since it premiered. Not to mention that Mike Flanagan is kind of on a hot streak right now, especially if Doctor Sleep does well.

Also, what about the Haunting series I mentioned? I'm not entirely sure when Bly Manor is coming out, but I know Hill House has been heavily requested and wished for since it premiered. Not to mention that Mike Flanagan is kind of on a hot streak right now, especially if Doctor Sleep does well.

I would put money on The Haunting being the next Stranger Things at HHN. Hill House in 30, Bly Manor in 31, and then whatever after that

I would put money on The Haunting being the next Stranger Things at HHN. Hill House in 30, Bly Manor in 31, and then whatever after that
Did a little investigating and it seems like Netflix has given Bly Manor a release of 2020, so it could potentially be a combination of both seasons. Also, unrelated but I think it's kind of hilarious how this is the second Turn of the Screw adaptation of 2020. Gotta love public domain!

I think it's a generational thing. The very few people who attended in the '90s became the hardcore fans in the '00s (go back and look at the WDW Magic threads in 2004-6 if you don't believe me). The GP in the '00s became the hardcore fans in the '10s. And I think the GP in the '10s will become the hardcore fans in the '20s. It's a lot like Star Wars--15-20 years ago it was the hardcore fanboys of the OT vs. the new fans of the PT. Fast forward to today, and that latter group became the fanboys themselves.

I don't think it's THAT extreme as far as timelines. I think there are degrees of separation - but basically, if you join an online discussion forum to talk theme parks, you're going to fall into the "hardcore" category. My first year was 2002, and I immediately wanted more info about the following year. The casual fan just wants to be scared. They don't care who the icon was in 2008, or what the backstory is. We do (to an extent lol).

That's a legitimate thing to recognize, and I salute you for it. I wish more people recognized this. It's okay for a thing you've really enjoyed to not be for you anymore.

That's a legitimate thing to recognize, and I salute you for it. I wish more people recognized this. It's okay for a thing you've really enjoyed to not be for you anymore.

Funny enough he seems to indicate he WANTS more funny/light-hearted stuff.

Anyway, give me 6-7 scary houses next year (Nightingales, Depths, Yeti, and Graveyard) and I can handle a few "fun" properties.

Funny enough he seems to indicate he WANTS more funny/light-hearted stuff.

Anyway, give me 6-7 scary houses next year (Nightingales, Depths, Yeti, and Graveyard) and I can handle a few "fun" properties.
That's how I read it too, and that's totally legit -- i love comedy in horror, as the only difference between the two is whether it's happening to you or me. My point is that recognizing that a thing isn't for you anymore requires a level of self-reflection that so many people don't have in their toolboxes.

That's how I read it too, and that's totally legit -- i love comedy in horror, as the only difference between the two is whether it's happening to you or me. My point is that recognizing that a thing isn't for you anymore requires a level of self-reflection that so many people don't have in their toolboxes.

Too painful for most people. It's why Gen-Xers spent all summer of 1999 trying to convince themselves they liked Phantom Menace.

Too painful for most people. It's why Gen-Xers spent all summer of 1999 trying to convince themselves they liked Phantom Menace.
Careful now. Some of us didn't need convincing. My only problems with TPM were the kid and the unfortunate character-dialect choices. It wasn't the best SW had to offer, but Episode 2 makes it look like Citizen Kane.

I know some people on here aren’t wild about it but on a speculators basis for scarezones Purge 5 is set to come out July

Also will note growing up in Miami, hhn was something tons of us did every year even now (I’m 18) and the purge scarezone was a major boost of interest in terms of people talking and getting interested in HHN, I saw people get engaged like never before with that scarezone(s?).

I know some people on here aren’t wild about it but on a speculators basis for scarezones Purge 5 is set to come out July

Also will note growing up in Miami, hhn was something tons of us did every year even now (I’m 18) and the purge scarezone was a major boost of interest in terms of people talking and getting interested in HHN, I saw people get engaged like never before with that scarezone(s?).

To follow this up, The Purge is huge with teenagers and early 20s. I’d bet we’ll see it as either a horde or a zone, but definitely not a house.

To follow this up, The Purge is huge with teenagers and early 20s. I’d bet we’ll see it as either a horde or a zone, but definitely not a house.

They're done with the Purge.

But also, reminder - this is the "IP That Has Yet to Come" thread and we're inching away from that...

Status
Not open for further replies.