The Legend of Zelda (Live-Action) | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

The Legend of Zelda (Live-Action)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I mean its project to project, I'm pretty sure the creator of FNAF was helping with the writing of that film

But this writer doesn't have a good track record....JW3 and SW episode 9 are.......just......my god realllllllllllly poorly written films
The guy who was mostly known for the bad Hangover sequels and Scary Movie 4 also wrote Chernobyl.

I'm not saying every hack writer who can take marching orders is a secret genius, but a set of bad credits can be totally outside of someone's control. And IIRC he didn't even work on Rise of Skywalker, his original script was completely thrown out and he only got a token story by credit.

I'm a HUGEEEEEEE Zelda fan, like I love Mario but LOVEEEEE Zelda

I just need to see a trailer before having any excitement over this

I can't imagine how this film with these people behind it are better then a Dreamworks animated film....I hope I'm wrong but if the team behind Puss in Boots made a Zelda film, I think it would be almost perfect

And IIRC he didn't even work on Rise of Skywalker, his original script was completely thrown out and he only got a token story by credit.
Correct. He's famously(?) writing partners with Colin Trevorrow, which means he got co-credit for the screenplay for Safety Not Guaranteed, which is excellent.

He got screenplay credit on the first two Jurassic World movies (only story credit on the third), Kong: Skull Island (which I quite liked) and Detective Pikachu (also solid). The odds are very low I'll ever see this movie, but Derek Connolly wouldn't be among my chief concerns.

Reactions: GA-MBIT and Mike S
This is insane news to see. It sounds like this has been in the works for a few years already. Crazy that Universal either passed up Zelda or failed to win Nintendo over on letting them do it.

The two had a pretty strong relationship going between Super Nintendo World and the Mario movie so I think a lot of people expected them to be Nintendo's trusted partner in Hollywood for other IP.

I think Universal is happy with the animation deal they have and the theme park rights. First off, Universal is able to still animation at a cheap price and the fact this is a 50/50 deal, it better bet to stay in animation and reap the rewards if the movie is successful.

I don't know how much I like the line up though....

Avi Avad (outside the Sam Raimi spider-man produced so many bad movies, Cough Cough Morbius), Wes Ball (Maze Runner but that the only series), and....Derek Connolly (writer for hire but not one with heart). it seems this is going to be a made by commitee

Reactions: Jerroddragon
I think Universal is happy with the animation deal they have and the theme park rights. First off, Universal is able to still animation at a cheap price and the fact this is a 50/50 deal, it better bet to stay in animation and reap the rewards if the movie is successful.

Avi Avad (outside the Sam Raimi spider-man produced so many bad movies, Cough Cough Morbius), Wes Ball (Maze Runner but that the only series), and....Derek Connolly (writer for hire but not one with heart). it seems this is going to be a made by commitee
Along with Sony recent films like Venom and Uncharted ebeing dumb popcorn film

I just don't see what to be excited about here. I hope to god I am wrong but everything about this is not good news

I think the upside to this news is Wes Ball... he has a lot of potential as a filmmaker and is very clearly passionate about each project he works on. I haven't seen the Maze-Runner films but I've heard mostly decent things about them. His Planet of the Apes movie looks fantastic. So for the most part... despite the so-so writer and Sony's involvement, I'm optimistic about the quality of this film. Hopefully it's good.

That mouse movie looks like the perfect style.

Reactions: saint.piss
Hot take: I'm just as worried about Miyamoto's involvement as I am Avi's here. You could feel the Mario movie being forcibly dragged back into mediocrity by him everytime the writers wanted to branch out into new concepts like Peach's backstory or the Blue Shell Koopa Guard. It felt like the recent Paper Mario games where the writers were given insane rules like "You can't create new fantasy races of Mario characters" or "You can't give characters names". I love and respect the man's work, but a good chunk of the stuff I love about Nintendo is stuff he has actively fought against, like Mario Galaxy's Rosalina Storybook or Link's Awakening's Dream framing device, or like, all of Majora's Mask. The fact that he's seemingly been put in charge of the movie division of Nintendo is incredibly disappointing to me.

Hot take: I'm just as worried about Miyamoto's involvement as I am Avi's here. You could feel the Mario movie being forcibly dragged back into mediocrity by him everytime the writers wanted to branch out into new concepts like Peach's backstory or the Blue Shell Koopa Guard. It felt like the recent Paper Mario games where the writers were given insane rules like "You can't create new fantasy races of Mario characters" or "You can't give characters names". I love and respect the man's work, but a good chunk of the stuff I love about Nintendo is stuff he has actively fought against, like Mario Galaxy's Rosalina Storybook or Link's Awakening's Dream framing device, or like, all of Majora's Mask. The fact that he's seemingly been put in charge of the movie division of Nintendo is incredibly disappointing to me.
Agreed

I appreciate what Miyamoto did for gaming but he is very much set in his own ways and refuses to budge.

Reactions: GA-MBIT

Wes Ball directed the upcoming Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes film and in the trailer for that you could see the beautiful direction throughout the whole trailer. IIRC, the Maze Runner films were actually interestingly directed as well.

Wes Ball directed the upcoming Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes film and in the trailer for that you could see the beautiful direction throughout the whole trailer. IIRC, the Maze Runner films were actually interestingly directed as well.
This is the reason I have hope.

Zelda has the potential to be freaking epic based on this.

I hope this kind of style bleeds through.

I does....they went with Sony the makers of Uncharted and madame web....I have no idea what Nintendo was thinking

Sony just doesn't have the track record for me to be excited

Am I missing a connection here between this trailer and Zelda? Asking genuinely for curiosity, I’m not sure how this relates to a Zelda live action film.