Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

The NBA Experience

This may be the most baffling idea, why wasn't it an ESPN Zone XL? Instead of just having the third most popular sport in the US, they could've included all of them.
ESPN Zone is a Disney project, which means they would have to own and operate it. With Disney Springs, Disney has shown they clearly do not want to be much in the business of operating a space themselves when they can just play landlord and collect the money with much more ease.

ESPN Zone is a Disney project, which means they would have to own and operate it. With Disney Springs, Disney has shown they clearly do not want to be much in the business of operating a space themselves when they can just play landlord and collect the money with much more ease.
It's interesting how Disney has been going in that direction with Disney Springs....and....Comcast/Universal is going in the opposite direction at CitiWalk...............and in the WDW and Universal past, it was the opposite....Oh, how thought processes change over time. :)

I sort of understand where you're coming from...but the development of Disney Springs has shown that they haven't completely abandoned opening up new places. For example, they closed the Harley Davidson shop (with good reason) and opened up their own Disney Style(?) store...so they're willing to utilize spaces for their own retail. Then again, Disney already considered Disney Springs a failure when I worked there, so maybe the NBA experience is indicative of that.

It's interesting how Disney has been going in that direction with Disney Springs....and....Comcast/Universal is going in the opposite direction at CitiWalk...............and in the WDW and Universal past, it was the opposite....Oh, how thought processes change over time. :)
The difference is, as many often say, CityWalk is sort of like an extension of the parks. That's Universal's chance to get promote their brand (NBC Grill Brew), give an immersive dining experience (Toothsome) or just provide other table service options for on-site guests (Antojitos, Vivo, Cowfish, etc).

Disney Springs is extremely disconnected from the parks and is also about 3-4 times the size. There's still plenty of experiences like what can be found at CityWalk (as far as originals) all over Disney property at their hotels and whatnot. Disney Springs is giving guests a different experience than that though and honestly, more times than not, it's for the better, especially on the restaurant side. Most of the mouse operated restaurants can be middling at best, but DS has a truly great lineup of restaurants and even their quick service places now is of higher quality.

Think about it this way - Is the pizza at PizzaRizzo what you would rather pay $10 for or would you rather have Blaze Pizza? The outside vendors do it better when it comes to Disney and food.

I sort of understand where you're coming from...but the development of Disney Springs has shown that they haven't completely abandoned opening up new places. For example, they closed the Harley Davidson shop (with good reason) and opened up their own Disney Style(?) store...so they're willing to utilize spaces for their own retail. Then again, Disney already considered Disney Springs a failure when I worked there, so maybe the NBA experience is indicative of that.
Disney actually bought Harley out of their lease because they wanted that prime spot. That store is doing gangbusters. They open up some stores here and there in DS, but my overall point is, they try to stay away from it unless it makes financial sense. Operating a huge building like this on their own would've been a big financial risk.

Last edited:
I remember when it was Disney Village Marketplace. It was a true Disney experience.
Now I rather go to The Mall at Millenia. Better shops, better prices, easier parking, a much better experience and closer to my favourit theme park resort.

I remember when it was Disney Village Marketplace. It was a true Disney experience.
Now I rather go to The Mall at Millenia. Better shops, better prices, easier parking, a much better experience and closer to my favourit theme park resort.
Simpler times. The expansion it's seen is really quite astonishing when you look at this old photo:
LBVSV597069.jpg

The difference is, as many often say, CityWalk is sort of like an extension of the parks. That's Universal's chance to get promote their brand (NBC Grill Brew), give an immersive dining experience (Toothsome) or just provide other table service options for on-site guests (Antojitos, Vivo, Cowfish, etc).

Disney Springs is extremely disconnected from the parks and is also about 3-4 times the size. There's still plenty of experiences like what can be found at CityWalk (as far as originals) all over Disney property at their hotels and whatnot. Disney Springs is giving guests a different experience than that though and honestly, more times than not, it's for the better, especially on the restaurant side. Most of the mouse operated restaurants can be middling at best, but DS has a truly great lineup of restaurants and even their quick service places now is of higher quality.

Think about it this way - Is the pizza at PizzaRizzo what you would rather pay $10 for or would you rather have Blaze Pizza? The outside vendors do it better when it comes to Disney and food.

Disney actually bought Harley out of their lease because they wanted that prime spot. That store is doing gangbusters. They open up some stores here and there in DS, but my overall point is, they try to stay away from it unless it makes financial sense. Operating a huge building like this on their own would've been a big financial risk.
:thumbsup: I don't disagree with you. I understand the reasons. I was just pointing out how business philosophies change. And, in this case, Disney & Universal have basically flip flopped their previous stances.

I would rather Disney have done Rizzo right. Theme the place and make an edible pie and charge me $17. There is no reason Rizzo's couldn't rival Toothsome's except for ambition.

I would rather Disney have done Rizzo right. Theme the place and make an edible pie and charge me $17. There is no reason Rizzo's couldn't rival Toothsome's except for ambition.
The odd thing is most of their counter service has gotten better over the past few years so the fact that they just left the menu and food the same as when it was Pizza Planet is a head scratcher.

Except kids make up a small percentage of the NBA's viewership. It's around only 13%. 62% are between 18-54 and 25% are 55+. From my standpoint the demographics don't line up for a kids activity and from the descriptions, it doesn't sound like it entirely is.
That's true here, but what about Europe and Asia? I know there's a fairly successful NBA Europe.

Oh, I'm next to certain this for the Chinese tourists. Basketball is HUGE there.
That's been my assumption all along. I mean, I stopped caring about basketball when Larry Bird retired, so I'll be picking up a Mickey/Celtics jersey, but it's one and done for me probably.

That's been my assumption all along. I mean, I stopped caring about basketball when Larry Bird retired, so I'll be picking up a Mickey/Celtics jersey, but it's one and done for me probably.
Be a cool kid and grab a Tatum or a Kyrie Celtics jersey :grin:

Internally, management was considering the update to be a failure, especially on the shopping front. Guests were incredibly unhappy. I have no idea what they consider it now, as all of my former leads are now in the parks.
That's...unexpected

I honestly thought most of the restaurant updates were positive...I guess people aren't feeling the 'outlet mall aesthetic' parts